Pennsylvania Babies
Options

searching for a change in hospital ASAP! Help!

I've been going to Hershey Medical center for the past 6 months of my pregnancy, however I have not been so happy with the care. They are trying to force my hand at many tests I do not need (nor do I have any risk factors) and my insurance will not completely cover. At my last doctor visit my physician could not read my chart correctly to know how far along I was (he said I was 20 weeks, I was actually 23) and when I asked if my weight was okay he said "yes, you've gained 18lbs). Actually I had gained 8 and when I corrected him he said "oh you are right, but your weight is still fine. You will gain more in your second half of your second trimester. I then told him I am in my second half I am 23 weeks, not 20. Again he said "oh you are right, but your weight is still fine".  I have been bombarded with phone calls from 3 different nurses the past three days about testing the doctor wants me to get. However I have told them I want to discuss the testing with my doctor on my next visit which is only two weeks away. I finally asked them to stop calling me about the testing unless it is my physician because they are stressing me out right before christmas! Please if you have any great experiences at hospitals in Lebanon or Harrisburg let me know! desperately need advice and suggestions!!

Re: searching for a change in hospital ASAP! Help!

• Options

There's a post not too far down about Harrisburg Hospital. General consensus is that it's wonderful.

I have no dealings with Lebanon... it's too far away for me (I'm on the west shore).

ETA: Here's the thread I was referring to https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/59515851.aspx

I delivered at Harrisburg Hospital through my OB/Gyn office, Partners in Women's Healthcare. I know Woodward Associates (another OB/Gyn office) delivers through there as well. There are more OB offices that deliver through there, but I don't know all of their names.

• Options
    I did deliver at Good Sam in Lebanon and had a great experience there, the nurses were very imformative but not always in your face. As for my doctors office - I used womens health center - the doctors were great...although I did not always find the office staff to be the friendliest! To me, liking my docs was most important. They did offer me all the "optional" genetic testing and whatnot, which we declined. That was the only time it was brought up. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm so sorry you are having a bad experience with Hershey, I had a wonderful experience.  Are you going to Women's Health?  I was told if there were certain doctors I did not want to see to let them know and they would not schedule any of my appointments with them.  You also may want to talk to the office manager and let them know the issues, they cannot fix them if they don't know what the issues are.

My SIL delivered both of her kids at Harrisburg and my friend delivered all three of her kids at Holy Spirit so they are both options.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

I've heard great things about Holy Spirit - I know an L&D nurse there and she is sweet as pie...  She just had a baby there herself in April. 

I'm sorry you're going through this, good luck!  

ttf21e9.aspx

ttf2202.aspx

• Options
    imageMegan.10.06:

I've heard great things about Holy Spirit - I know an L&D nurse there and she is sweet as pie...  She just had a baby there herself in April. 

I delivered at Holy Spirit in July and they were great.  

BabyFruit Ticker image image
         Big M 7/11/11
          Little M 6/16/2013
                    Angel baby 5/17/2014          
  • Options
    imageohdrama09:
    imageMegan.10.06:

I delivered at Holy Spirit in July and they were great.  

I'm delivering at HSH and using the Center for Women's Health, their OB/GYN practice.  DH and I have liked every doctor and midwife we've met thus far.

• Options
    thanks all for the advice! I have spoken to the office manager and with little help I have decided to switch. I have currently switched to Woodward & Associates and so far everything has been great! I will be delivering at harrisburg hospital. Also the baby appears to be on the small side (which was one of my concerns I'm 27 weeks and people are only now starting to notice I'm pregnant). Hershey never checked the fundal height and was harassing me to get the 3 hour glucose testing b/c they didn't want me to have a large baby. Had they looked at my chart or even me they would have realized this is not the case. I am measuring 3.5 weeks behind and will be having an ultrasound to make sure the baby is doing okay this coming week. I will be going for the 3 hour screening as I have talked to my new physician and understand the importance, however at this time this is the least of his worries.  Again thanks for the advice. I feel much better about the switch!
  • Options

I live in Hershey & have delivered 2 babies, soon to be 3 @ Lancaster general women & babies birthing center.  It's  a 25 minute drive for me & very much worth it.  The center has a warm, homey feel to it, every room is private, the food is delicious (& I am particular), husband gets a free meal.  Water birth & or labor option if that's what floats your boat.  Still close to Hershey if there are serious complications w/ baby after birth.  Free professional massage after birth anytime during your stay.  Very little nursing turnover because they pay their nurses well & treat them well & in turn are happy & treat you well & are patient & indulging to the laboring/new mom.  I go to Hershey for other reasons & know they are acclaimed in the area, but always feel like a number & my doctors never seem to remember who I am.  For something as personal as giving birth Lancaster general woen's & babies is worth the trip.

• Options
    imagejamorrall:

I live in Hershey & have delivered 2 babies, soon to be 3 @ Lancaster general women & babies birthing center.  It's  a 25 minute drive for me & very much worth it.  The center has a warm, homey feel to it, every room is private, the food is delicious (& I am particular), husband gets a free meal.  Water birth & or labor option if that's what floats your boat.  Still close to Hershey if there are serious complications w/ baby after birth.  Free professional massage after birth anytime during your stay.  Very little nursing turnover because they pay their nurses well & treat them well & in turn are happy & treat you well & are patient & indulging to the laboring/new mom.  I go to Hershey for other reasons & know they are acclaimed in the area, but always feel like a number & my doctors never seem to remember who I am.  For something as personal as giving birth Lancaster general woen's & babies is worth the trip.

I have to question this, I live in E-town and it's further than that for me to get there, unless of course you do not follow the 65 speed limit on 283.

Sorry no paragraphs, bumping from my phone.
    I once had a picture until the trolls showed up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #1 7/08 PCOS dx 8/28/04 Met 1000 mg and Clomid cycles 1-4 1/6/09-5/2/09 BFN
    Clomid 100mg 6/4/09=O'd=BFP on 6/29/09! Beta@14DPO 70.8 Beta@16DPO 152. EDD 3/7/10.
    First u/s on 7/13/09 @6w0d heard and saw heartbeat 102 bpm.
    K M #1 arrived via c/s 3/1/10 10 lbs, 22 inches long at 39 weeks.

Surprise expecting #2. Med-free BFP on 8/1/11! Beta@15DPO 58.2 Beta@17DPO 198.3 Beta@23DPO 2338. EDD 4/9/12
    K M #2 arrived via c/s 3/19/12 9 lbs 2 oz, 21 inches long at 37 weeks.
    "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane."
  • Options
    imagejamorrall:

FWIW it's a 45 minute drive and they've had a huge nursing turnover. When some L&D nursing friends of mine expressed some concerns to their manager they had a staff meeting where they were told to "be happy they had a job".

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"