Special Needs
Options

**kittylove**

Hi there,

I saw on another post that you replied to that your LO had major frustration that you received help with from the Autism clinic.  Would you mind sharing some of that information with me?  My LO is 3 and was recently dx with hearing loss.  He is a very strong-willed kid, but his tantrums are starting to get out of control and I don't know what else to do for him.  I am sure he has more frustration (with not being able to hear everything, speech intelligibility issues, and having it just discovered), but I want to help him (a) learn how to deal with the frustration (b) have us learn how to better deal with his frustrations.  I sometimes feel like his tantrums come out of NOWHERE, which makes reasoning with him very difficult (plus, he is three...reasoning is tough to begin with:-)) 

He has been under more stress lately because of all of the appts. you have to go to after a hearing loss is discovered, but all the drs make the appts fun, etc., so they aren't terrible.  He has always had a temper, but I just don't want these tantrums to continue like this...for him, for us and for our baby (to see this and want to act the same way)

Thank you!.

Thank you!

Re: **kittylove**

• Options

Sure a few things they spoke about with tantrums. For the most part they suggested I follow ABA. That means when he throws one, I ask him to calm him down and if he doesn't put him in his room where he can kick and scream as much as he wants. I leave him in there, and as soon as he starts to get calm I speak calmly that I like him calming down. I will be honest this makes him scream more so I leave him alone till he stops again and say it again. The first time we did this he screamed for 3 hours. This week for the first time I put him in his room and he calmed down and walked out and was fine. It took months but we are there.

They also changed the was we look at his frustration. Is he mad because we didn't exsplain what was going on or why we are doing something? or is he mad because he can't tell us what he wants? we deal with these things diffrently, and speak clearly with exspectaions clearly exsplained with consiquense.

If you haven't looked into ABA, you should think about it. I went through a one day 4 hour class and it has helped us a lot.

• Options

Thank you!  I could see him screaming for that long as well.  I think a lot of his tantrums come from being tired, so we are working on that as well, but sometimes, they feel like they come out of NOWHERE! 

I have not looked into ABA...what does it stand for?  It sounds like I should definitely look into it.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

It stands for Applied Behavior Analysis, and is a lot like positive parenting on steroids. In fact if you can't find an ABA class for parents in your area then I highly suggest a positive parenting course (Tripple P Parenting is very good and they have one for SN).

Here is the tripple p site: https://www.triplep.net/

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"