Preemies
Options

upper GI study

Have any of your LO's has one done?

I think they are going to do one on Ryan.  This morning, his neo wanted him to try the bottle again.  They gave him 3 cc's with a slow flow nipple and he did great!  His SSB was perfect.  The problems started once they put him down.  He would spit up and start desatting.  The nurse said he did this like 3 times.  So now the neos think his problem is reflux, not SSB.  They said if they it's reflux, he will get medication.  If you LO had an upper GI study done, what did they find and did meds fix the problem?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: upper GI study

• Options
    Yes DS had one while in the NICU. He had already been diagnosed with reflux but the neo just wanted to make sure. In his case the meds just stopped the reflux pain, not the actual spitting. He really just started to grow out of it as he got bigger. He still spits up, but it is not painful for him. He is no longer on any meds.
  • Options

Both twins had one... on B they couldn't find anything. On A she was too uncoordinated to get a good show of events.

They didn't want to give meds to B because they couldn't find anything on the study. A we already new was much more severe based on several other factors, they tried Prolesic and Zantac with no luck...again she was an extreme case, and she never even got the chance to take a bottle.

TTC #1 since 4/2007... MFI (low motility/low Testosterone) & PCOS IVF #1 August 2010...BFP 1st sono shows TWINS!!!! Due May 23rd 2011 Ruptured @ 21 weeks (Jan 13) Delivered 26 weekers (Blake and Addison) on Valentine's Day... Keeping faith and praying, God has a plan and we just have to learn to follow. Our Blog ... ourvalentinesdaysurprise.blogspot.com Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Reagan had an upper GI when she was around 1 month adjusted. Although, I'm not sure how accurate it was because they couldn't really get her to drink the barium...and the radiologist was rushed.

Anyway, it didn't show any reflux. The problem with those is, the reflux has to happen RIGHT then...or it won't be seen. Reagan's problem was reflux after eating...So, it wasn't really helpful in diagnosing that. It did, however, let us know that she didn't have any other problems such as a hernia, etc.

Have you thought about asking the NICU staff to incline his bed a little? Where his head is elevated just a tad? That helps with Reagan's reflux. I can't lay her down flat.

Hope you get some answers soon!

• Options
    imagelwmooney87:

Reagan had an upper GI when she was around 1 month adjusted. Although, I'm not sure how accurate it was because they couldn't really get her to drink the barium...and the radiologist was rushed.

Anyway, it didn't show any reflux. The problem with those is, the reflux has to happen RIGHT then...or it won't be seen. Reagan's problem was reflux after eating...So, it wasn't really helpful in diagnosing that. It did, however, let us know that she didn't have any other problems such as a hernia, etc.

Have you thought about asking the NICU staff to incline his bed a little? Where his head is elevated just a tad? That helps with Reagan's reflux. I can't lay her down flat.

Hope you get some answers soon!

Both boys have always been on an incline because they had reflux when they were smaller and were on meds for it.  They have since been taken off the meds but kept on an incline anyway.  He doesn't have these issues when he gets tube feedings though, so I'm not sure what that means.  

• Options
    Maybe the reflux is better with tube feedings because he doesn't have to work as hard, so his body can use the energy to digest the food, instead of a bottle feeding where the esophagus has to continually contract to push the food down and then keep it down? My non-expert opinion, but still. I know our reflux is always worst if the babies are tired.
    ~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

imagehunt2005:
    Maybe the reflux is better with tube feedings because he doesn't have to work as hard, so his body can use the energy to digest the food, instead of a bottle feeding where the esophagus has to continually contract to push the food down and then keep it down? My non-expert opinion, but still. I know our reflux is always worst if the babies are tired.

This is what I think as well.  We're meeting with his doctor tomorrow so I guess I will get more of an idea what he thinks then.  Thanks for your input.  And everyone else responding as well.  

• Options
    Ours showed high level reflux, Prilosec prescribed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"