Special Needs
Options

Anyone take DC to an EI "class"? Need Help!!!

Today was my DD's first day of EI program and she is in a class of 5. Well it went VERY BAD! They do circle time and ALL the kids (who are between 2-3) will sit but my DD just throws an all out fit and won't sit at all. Of course she is only 22 months. Also this is her 1st official day at class. So I'm struggling with what I should be doing. I don't feel like anyone is giving me any direction at the program. So tomorrow I'm going in to get some questions answered. Sorry this post is so randomly put together. I've had a bad day.
imageimage
107 Read/listened to in 2011: 91 Books/16 Audiobooks
Read 2012: 33/50

Re: Anyone take DC to an EI "class"? Need Help!!!

• Options
    I can hardly keep my eyes open tonight, but look for a response from me tomorrow that'll make you feel better.  It's not you.  it's not her.  Don't beat yourself up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I take my son to an EI playgroup that sounds like the kind of class you're describing, but it's the baby group (he's 13 mos.). Once the children are walking, they switch to the toddler group. The leader of my group isn't' strict about making the children stay in circle time and is ok if we let them wander around the room as long as they are not too disruptive. Maybe just ask the leader of the class how she/he would like you to handle things- remove your child (which kind of defeats the purpose of being there), let your child do what she needs to do to feel comfortable, or make your child sit in circle (which seems counterproductive as well). Does your daughter get individual EI services as well? Maybe ask her service coordinator for suggestions too.

Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If I'm remembering correctly, your DD has speech and motor delays, right? 
    How long does this class last?  Is there a particular title for the type of therapy they are doing?  Where are you from? 

Someone informed me that some EI programs don't break therapy up into several catagories - they work on everything at once.  We have Speech, OT and DT seperate.

We were sent to a Developmental Therapy group - which turned out to be more of a playgroup.  They also did circle time and the children were also between 2-3 years old.  With one little boy, a lady would just sit holding him down saying 'What did you eat for breakfast'.  I was quite apphauled.  I called my service coordinator and told her what was bothering me and we moved to another program. 

Now, I don't want to tell you on your first experience that you need to find another program, but just remember that YOU are your child's voice.  Give it a few weeks, give them some time to learn her and talk to you and find out what she needs.  BUT, ultimately its ok to question things and to EXPECT some direction. 

There are several things that come to my mind. 
    #1.  Developmentally between 2-3 years old, there is a time in which it should be appropriate to expect a child to sit still in a circle.  22 months is not that time. ESPECIALLY if she has some developmental delays.
    #2.  Circle time seems to be something that would be a great thing for them to give the children/parents some instruction so that you could WORK on getting her interested in sitting. Like - is there something for her to sit ON, so she has a clue that she is to sit 'here'.  Is she given any warning that she is shifting activities?  Did someone instruct her in sitting - or was it just expected of her?  Just remember that you don't need to expect too much out of her.  This class should be here to HELP her not to make you feel bad and to expect her to do things that no-one has ever shown her/you how to do. 
    #3.  How many of these kids have been coming for a while?  There is definetly something to be said for a routine.  The kids who've been coming for a while to this or another group know the drill.  We're going to read a story and Im supposed to sit here.

Voice your concerns.  I hope they will be willing to chat with you and know that you WANT to participate.  Let me know if you have more questions.  It's hard to be thrown into this stuff & have no instruction.

OH & we started our group at about 23 months.  DS wouldnt sit either.  I told him where to sit, he got up and ran around..and I just let him - because he needed that time to explore the room and get used to things.  If i used too much dicipline the first time, he'd not enjoy his time there and not learn as much.  That's the way I look at it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!! I haven't gotten to talk to anyone yet as her therapist and I kept missing each other and playing phone tag. So we go again today and I hope to talk to them right away.
    imageimage
    107 Read/listened to in 2011: 91 Books/16 Audiobooks
    Read 2012: 33/50
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"