January 2012 Moms
Options

After delivery

Ladies, will you be keeping your babies in the hospital nursery and bring them in for feedings etc. or will you keep them in your rooms during your stay at the hospital? And why ?

I was advised to get the help from nurses while and use my stay to get some rest (as much as I can get)  so im leaning towards the nursery more but im not sure especially because im planning to breastfeed so I dont know if it would even make sense to have her in the nursery.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: After delivery

• Options
    I am going to keep her in my room unless I feel really sick or exhausted.  I was told that breatsfeeding as frequently as possible for the first couple days will help with the success of BF.  If I was FF I may go for the extra rest though...at least at night:)

Layla 01.08.12

Chloe and Vivian 07.23.13

My Gang.  Halloween 2013

• Options

Me and DH have talked about this and we both agree we want baby in the room with us as much as possible.  If baby has to leave for whatever reason, DH will go with it.

I'm super paranoid, lol. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

At the hospital I want to deliver, baby stays with us unless there is a specific medical need where they cannot.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The only "nursery" in my hospital is the NICU, so unless there is a problem she has to stay with me.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Options
    Last hospital visitors weren't allowed past 10pm, so the second Night by myself I had one of the nurses keep DS with them after doing his Bloodwork, and they kept him until he was hungry....best 3 hours of sleep I had all week! This time around its 24h so DH can stay with me and take care of him when I need to snooze!
  • Options
    imageraefre:

At the hospital I want to deliver, baby stays with us unless there is a specific medical need where they cannot.

This. 

DD- 7/22/07 DS- 4/22/09 DS #2- 1/11/12
  • Options

At our hospital the baby stays with you (rooms in) unless it needs observation in the nursery or you specifically request the baby go to the nursery.  I don't plan on having LO leave the room for any reason other than possibly the hearing test.  If LO has to leave the room Hubby or my mom will go with her if I can't.  I'm going to BF so I want her near me at all times. 

If you're going to BF the best thing is to keep your LO with you so you can feed on demand.  It will help with milk production and you can guarentee that your LO doesn't get any formula, sugar water or pacifiers.

• Options

We have no choice at hospitals in our area - baby stays unless there is a medical reason to take it. I wouldn't want it any other way though, I'm a little paranoid and I also feel like it would be important to establish a good nursing relationship right away.

Hoping for an uncomplicated delivery so we can go home with 4 hours and then my Mom will help me there. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'll keep the baby with me. I'm just more comfortable that way.
    DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

• Options
    Keeping her. I sent DS to the nursery the first night of our 3 night stay with him, and I got no sleep. Between docs coming in and out to check on me, nurses bring DS in for feedings, waiting for them to come back to take him...I slept FAR better the nights I just kept him in the room.
  • Options
    We'll be keeping her in our room as much as possible. They recommended this so we could get on her schedule and learn her signals, so that's what we decided on. They do take her 1hr out of ever 24hrs to do tests, though. 
    DD 1.18.2012
  • Options
    Baby will stay with me during the day but at night I send to the nursery so I can get some rest.  Especially after a c-section and I more willing to get the needed rest for healing.  But for the most part it about being able to get up or not without help.  DH stays at home with our other kids so I don't have any help at night.  
  • Options
    At the hospital I'm delivering at they suggest you have the baby "room in" with you, which is what I plan on doing.  I want my FI to go with him if he has to leave, but the hospital doesn't allow anyone to go with the baby for the hearing test or circ... so those will be the only two times he will be out of the room.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageDawn7233:
    At the hospital I'm delivering at they suggest you have the baby "room in" with you, which is what I plan on doing.  I want my FI to go with him if he has to leave, but the hospital doesn't allow anyone to go with the baby for the hearing test or circ... so those will be the only two times he will be out of the room.

Do you know why that is? We were allowed to go for the circ, and they did the hearing test right in our room.

• Options
    I'm going to try to keep him in my room as long as possible.  The nurses can still come in and help, but I want to practice breastfeeding on demand.  Besides, it'll be easier to bond with him if I have him at arm's reach as much as possible.  Luckily my hospital supports rooming in, although their policy is that someone must be awake at all times in the room, and I can't leave the room at all or he goes to the nursery.
    July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options
    At the hospital I am delivering at, the baby stays with you at all times unless there is a medical reason. No more nursery's except at the NICU. I will also have the same nurse as baby so that will help out also less people coming in.
  • Options
    They sleep in at the hospital I go to. I think that's for the best. You need those couple days to get used to what you need to do with your baby and the nurses can help you. If you let them do it all so you can get rest, you may end up getting home and not knowing what to do at all. I think the nurses too DD for a couple hours one night for me so I could get a nap in the middle of the night but they also take them during the night to do all the necessary testing and care anyways so you can get some rest. I don't like them being gone.
    Robin - CO Mod * RP & JHutch Lover * Hufflepuff
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Books read in 2013: ~ Audiobooks listened to in 2013: 3
    Currently reading: The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
    Currently listening to: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf) image
  • Options
    Our hospital only does Rooming in. And that's why I chose it :)
  • Options
    Our hospital does Rooming In also.  They take the baby I think twice a day for vitals & stuff (atleast they did with my niece, not sure if it was because she was a premie). I don't think we even have the option of asking them to take her, although they do have a regular nursery in addition to the NICU.  The nursery is tiny, only holds 3 babies and when we did our hospital tour we were told there's never any babies in there.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Options
    Our hospital lets you do both: room in or send to the nursery, but I am leaning towards keeping baby with us the whole time. It seems like it will be so much easier to have baby close since I am planning on feeding on demand those first few days.
    After TTC with IR PCOS:
    April 2011: Metformin 1500mg + Clomid 100mg + Ovidrel + Prometrium = BFP!
    Beta #1 at 14DPO: 197 Beta #2 at 18DPO: 1296
    At 40w6d, our Team Green surprise came by unplanned C-section and changed our lives forever!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagenamara5532:
    although their policy is that someone must be awake at all times in the room

that doesn't sound very supportive of rooming in. how are you supposed to manage that, just never sleep? that is strange to me. I wonder if they enforce this or if it's more of a CYA...

Anyway I'll be rooming in. Though if I am awake for more than 24 hours over the course of delivery etc, I might consider sending him to the nursery for a nap. the hospital is very BF friendly and won't give anything else to the baby unless requested. they'll bring him in when he fusses. I will play it by ear, I guess but without DH there at night (he'll probably be with DS at home) I'm leaving my options open.

• Options

Our hospital does rooming-in and discourages taking baby to the nursery, unless something is wrong with baby or for the circumcision.

I want to room-in so I plan on having him in there with me except for his circumcision. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP #1 5/07/11, DS 01/19/12
    BFP #2 08/09/12, M/C 08/10/12
    BFP #3 10/30/12, EDD 07/11/12...please stick!
  • Options

At the hospital I am delivering at they expect for the baby to be in your room after delivery.  They do have a nursery but they don't volunteer their services or really give you the option.  They expect you to learn how to take care of your baby during your stay.

With my DD, she went the nursery once.  She was taken for her hearing test and fell asleep.  They put her in the nursery and gave her a bottle when she woke up before completing her hearing test.  She was gone for a few hours and it completely freaked me out.

• Options

We're doing 24 hr rooming in of baby after he's born. I figure I might as well get to know his schedule, feeding cues, and all about him asap, rather than try to do it all when we get home and there aren't any nurses or lactation consultants.

My SO has a 2.5yo son that we have primary custody of, so I'm going to soak up as much mama-baby alone time as I can before we go back to the crazy world of raising a toddler and newborn.

Me: 29  DH: 33
    Married April 1st 2017 <3
    DS #1: May 2009 
    DS #2: Jan 2012 

• Options
    The hospital that I'm delivering in has a new birthing center that doesn't have a full nursery, only a little NICU, so the baby will stay with me unless I really need to rest, then they just take them to the nurses station for a few hours. I love this set up, though I'm a FTM so I don't know what the difference would be, but I just want to be near the baby I've been working on for so long.
  • Options
    imagedhviel:
    The only "nursery" in my hospital is the NICU, so unless there is a problem she has to stay with me.
    This.
    Caroline (5), Kyle (3), Lucy (01/04/12)

2012 Goal: working towards pre-pregnancy speed!
    04/15 KI Metric Marathon/16.3 m (2:05:55, 7:43 pace)
    05/06 Frederick 13.1 (1:41:09)
    11/04 NYCM
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In the room with us. DH is so cute, he doesn't want the baby to be by him or herself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options

Baby stays with me at all times except when medically necessary to move her then she comes right back.  Plus i'll be nursing all the time so she has to be with me at all times anyway! 

Oh and I plan on being out of the hospital w/in 12 hours after delivering anyway if possible.  The midwives told me they have no problem discharging me that quickly as long as everything goes well (no epi of course, no complications, and baby is fine) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"