Preemies

33 wks and told baby is coming sooner then later.

Hi, This is my first pregnancy and I am due Feb 2nd. I was 2.5 cm dilated a week ago today at my OB appointment. I have Gestational Diabetes and Polyhydramnios (excess fluid around the baby) that is putting extra pressure on my cervix causing it to open. My husband is freaking out, he wants me to keep the baby inside as long as possible due to all the 'risks'. What are the risks? I hear of Preemies all the time and was one myself, should I be worried? How long does a premature baby have to stay in the hospital? Is there serious risks that I should know about. I am sitting/laying down a lot as my OB ordered and have pills to keep my cervix closed. However if the baby decides to come today what are we looking at facing? 

Re: 33 wks and told baby is coming sooner then later.

• Have you asked to speak to a neonatologist at the hospital where you will deliver? Honestly, it is hard to say exactly what will happen but generally, babies born at around 33 week do well. My boys were born at 33 weeks and spent 2 weeks in the NICU. It was scary but we made it through. 

Good luck to you.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's really hard to tell as every baby is different.  I had DS#2 at a little over 33 wks and was able to get steroid shots prior to birth to help his lungs.  He stayed in NICU for 9 days and mostly because he needed IV antibiotics because of an infection they found in my placenta.  If he wouldn't have needed the antibiotics, he would have been able to come home even sooner, probably would have only stayed in NICU a few days. 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Of course there a risks, but all this should be explained to you by your doctor.  My twins were born at 25 weeks, and when we found out we were at risk for PTL we met with a neonatologist who went over everything with us.  None of us can tell you exactly what will happen, because every baby is so different.  My sons have been through just about everything in the NICU and will probably have lasting problems, but there are others on this board who have perfectly healthy babies who don't have any lasting effects.  Good luck to you and I hope you can cook your LO a little longer! 
  • Thanks Ladies. It's great to hear about all your healthy babies and makes me feel better. When I spoke to my OB about my concerns she said they were all worries that she would deal with and all I had to do was follow her directions and not to worry! I think its because stress can make my Polyhydramnios worse and we know that that can cause many complications when my water breaks and or during labor that terrify me. I will show my husband your responses and hopefully ease his nerves as well! Could someone tell me what DS, LO and DH stand for? I see them on these posts all the time and guess they are for baby, fetus and husband but don't know the actual terms. Thank You again for sharing your experiences! All the best to you all!  

• imagekerrswood:

Thanks Ladies. It's great to hear about all your healthy babies and makes me feel better. When I spoke to my OB about my concerns she said they were all worries that she would deal with and all I had to do was follow her directions and not to worry! I think its because stress can make my Polyhydramnios worse and we know that that can cause many complications when my water breaks and or during labor that terrify me. I will show my husband your responses and hopefully ease his nerves as well! Could someone tell me what DS, LO and DH stand for? I see them on these posts all the time and guess they are for baby, fetus and husband but don't know the actual terms. Thank You again for sharing your experiences! All the best to you all!  

DS = darling son

LO = little one

DH = darling husband

There is also a glossary will all the acronyms used here.  It can be found on the left side of your screen, if you scroll down under my boards. HTH!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"