Special Needs
Options

PDD-NOS moms - hand mouthing question

So DS has recently started putting his whole hand in his mouth, or at least as much of it as he can fit.  DH doesn't seem to be concerned as he think this is similar to thumb-sucking which DS has never really done but you know how it is - when our little ones start doing something new we have over-analyze the crap out of it. 

So, any of you folks out there have experience with hand mouthing - how much is normal, if at all?

Thanks!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: PDD-NOS moms - hand mouthing question

• Options
    My DS is not PDD but just turned two as well and for the last two weeks or so has started putting all fingers of one hand and as much of his hand as he can into his mouth and lightly gagging himself. I haven't worried much about it yet but wonder if it is just something some kids experiment with. We are seeing the d. Pedi next month and I plan to ask.
  • Options
    My DS has always had a wicked oral fixation. When he was 2 he would lick furniture or anything near him. Then he went through a long period where he would make a fist and lick his hand. I thought the drooling would never end! But then, magically, it did go away. I catch him chewing on a finger once in awhile, but at 3.5 years old I would say we're pretty much over the hand in mouth phase. His OT still suggests using the thin straws or crazy straws a lot. He loves sports bottles that he can suck on.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Stupid question here: could he be cutting teeth?  My DS is a paci kid but was shoving his hand in his mouth for the last month or so and his 2 year molars are FINALLY out only now.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Options

imagerobynlesley:
    Stupid question here: could he be cutting teeth?  My DS is a paci kid but was shoving his hand in his mouth for the last month or so and his 2 year molars are FINALLY out only now.

I thought that at first so I let it go, but now he's got all his molars and he still does it.  I'll follow up with his ped next visit.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"