Preemies

34 weeks, 1/2 cm dilated- questions !

So, at 26 weeks I had PTL contractions for three days straight (didn't know that's what they were at first), they only calmed down with magnesium in the hospital. Cervix was 2.4 cm. Then they put me on bed rest. Cervix went back up to 3.1 range. A few weeks ago, it went back to 2.4 range and it's been like that for 2 weeks straight (at least it's stable). Now I'm dilated 1/2 cm. They've taken me off bed rest, though - they say light activity shouldn't affect anything, and a 1/2 cm could be a sign, or it could mean nothing. No contractions, fortunately.

Some questions...

1. Once you're dilated, you're dilated. So shouldn't I be on bed rest at 34 weeks, haha? (Doc says they wouldn't stop labor if it started at this point)
  2. If I deliver a preemie (let's say, this week, at 34 weeks), what's average length of time in hospital I should expect?
  3. If baby is in hospital for a while, does that go on MY insurance or his?
  4. Is the doc underestimating the risks of delivering a preemie to me? She says little risk of long term complications at this point, but I worry. : (
  5. With a preemie in the hospital, how does breast feeding work (or does it)?
Thanks guys

Re: 34 weeks, 1/2 cm dilated- questions !

• Welcome and I hope you don't have to join us over here! 

To answer your questions:

1. You can walk around dilated for weeks from what I understand. I would take it easy but you could still have a term baby at this point
    2. The general rule of thumb is that babies go home around their due date. That's not always accurate though-every baby has their own journey in the NICU and its not easy to predict
    3. A NICU stay is billed under the baby's name so it will go to whatever insurance you have set up for the baby.
    4. She is right that most 34+ week babies have pretty uneventful NICU stays-usually they just work on feeding and growing. You can read some 34 weeker stories on our blog (link in my siggy)
    5. Again, check the blog for details if you need them but in short-pump as soon as possible with the hospital pump. Then you will have to see what your baby can do. Most preemies are tube fed at first and have to learn to eat. So you pump every 2-3 hours around the clock and work with the LCs in the NICU to teach your baby to breastfeed. Its not easy but its possible. My 27-weeker is EBF after a lot of work.
    Good luck!
  • 1/2 a cent. is fine. You could stay that way for weeks. As for insurance it depends on what insurance information you gave the hospital as far as who's will get charged. 37 weeks is a considered term. I mean if there is anyway you can hold off until at least then that would be better. Breastfeeding can work with a premie but if they are to early they don't really have the rooting reflex yet and it could be a little difficult. In that sense you could try and pump your colostrum and feed it with a bottle to the baby. As long as the baby is fine and lungs are fully developed it should not be any extra time in the hospital. They do want to make sure the baby doesnt lose to much weight. They will lose some. Also I heard a nurse say the other night that babys use burn up alot of calories breastfeeding. If after like 10 mins. of trying if you are unsuccessful they will want you to try a bottle.

• Loading the player...
  • Wow, thanks a MILLION guys! I've done research online, but really I feel like hearing from moms their selves who've been through it is the best. Really appreciate the thoughtful responses. Super helpful.
  • imageaprillewis24:

1/2 a cent. is fine. You could stay that way for weeks. As for insurance it depends on what insurance information you gave the hospital as far as who's will get charged. 37 weeks is a considered term. I mean if there is anyway you can hold off until at least then that would be better. Breastfeeding can work with a premie but if they are to early they don't really have the rooting reflex yet and it could be a little difficult. In that sense you could try and pump your colostrum and feed it with a bottle to the baby. As long as the baby is fine and lungs are fully developed it should not be any extra time in the hospital. They do want to make sure the baby doesnt lose to much weight. They will lose some. Also I heard a nurse say the other night that babys use burn up alot of calories breastfeeding. If after like 10 mins. of trying if you are unsuccessful they will want you to try a bottle.

Just wanted to say that this is something that is said a lot in NICUs that isn't necessarily true. If you're being told you can't breastfeed because your baby is preemie, it's worth questioning the medical team about whether this is the right thing for your baby. I think NICUs are lagging behind the rest of society in ditching an old bias towards bottle/formula feeding being best. Ask lots of questions and push for explanations esp. if your gut is saying something different.

Otherwise, I agree with PPs. 34 weekers generally doing really well and only need to stay for a couple of weeks (expect home around the due date, but most are ready before that). They may want to observe for at least 5 days for weight gain and to monitor for apneas. I would focus on whether you are having contractions or not and not worry about the dilation too much. GL!

BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
    1. Once you're dilated, you're dilated. So shouldn't I be on bed rest at 34 weeks, haha? (Doc says they wouldn't stop labor if it started at this point)
    2. If I deliver a preemie (let's say, this week, at 34 weeks), what's average length of time in hospital I should expect? DD was born at 34w3d, she was in the NICU for 8.5 days
    3. If baby is in hospital for a while, does that go on MY insurance or his? baby's
    4. Is the doc underestimating the risks of delivering a preemie to me? She says little risk of long term complications at this point, but I worry. : ( you are right on the edge of "full term"
    5. With a preemie in the hospital, how does breast feeding work (or does it)? I spent as much time as I possibly could at the hospital with DD (16 hrs a day) and attempted breastfeeding at every feeding.  After we tried, I would pump and she would get some expressed milk from a syringe/bottle.  By her two week appointment, we stopped supplementing and she was EBFing 

Married 08/18/07
    BFP 02/15/11 EDD 10/27/11 Born at 35w3d on 09/25/11 
    BFP 10/13/12 EDD 06/25/13 Born at 37w0d on 06/04/13

BFP 12/11/15 EDD 08/23/16 Early miscarriage

BFP 02/02/16 EDD 10/16/16

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BabyFetus Ticker

• 1. I was told that 34 wks is "term" on the high risk floor I was on.  Basically they are starting to weigh the benefits/inconvenience of buying more weeks in utero vs. putting you on bed rest.  With DS2 I had PTL at 34wks and was in/out of triage, but taking care of a toddler, so I rested when I could but I think strict BR is extreme.

2. it varies a lot.  My 35 weeker was in the hospital for a week.  I would count on a few weeks.

3. You will add the baby to your insruance as a life changing event when he is born.  It will be under his own name on your policy.

4. Little risk of long term complications, I'd say that is mostly true, but still some shorter term risks and 34 weekers can sometimes be pretty sick.  It varies, but the baby would probably be OK.  My 35 weeker is doing amazing.

5.  It can work.  You would either need to bottle feed in the hospital and transition to BF later (pump when you can't Bf) or set up camp in the hospital until the baby is released. 

• Thanks for additional feedback guys, super super helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"