Health & Exercise

XP: Ab Separation in Pregnancy?

Anybody know anything about this? I noticed a dip in the middle of my stomach tonight and it's kind of freaking me out.  I know it is normal, but the idea of it still seems weird to me.  I'm not sure if there's anything I should be doing about it.

I have read some conflicting information about core strengthening in pregnancy; some sources say that it is good to keep working your abs as long as you are not laying on your back (planks, etc), while some sources say you should let those muscles relax.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
image"">Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: XP: Ab Separation in Pregnancy?

• It usually resolved itself pp, and is pretty common, but worth mentioning to your OB at your next visit.

Working out your abs during pg IMO is fine. I know women who have done it, and I'm one who did, but that is b/c I was a very lazy pg lady :P Women have been doing moderate to hard labor during pg (like working in the fields, factory, heavy lifting) for centuries and centuries. I just wouldn't start something way out there - keep it simple. Planks are great. I have heard that it helps in the delivery room. I would suppose a mom-to-be with stronger muscles would be better able to recover fast (between contractions), and have better stamina.

Good luck with your pg. I miss being pregnant! Enjoy it, even though certain parts do suck.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If you happen to check this - thanks for the feedback.  I kind of forgot I posted this right away.  I am absolutely loving being pregnant; it's just scary how much misinformation is out there!  I think I will be sticking with my planks at least, and check with my midwife next week about anything more extensive.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image"">Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd say don't try to do tummy exercises during pregnancy. They are separated and therefore won't be as strong and you could really hurt something.

Even after you have the baby, make sure your abs go back together before you start doing crunches and things like that. Mine took longer than 6 weeks to go back together... almost 3 months actually.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"