January 2012 Moms

Sigh. My carpal tunnel is getting worse. Anyone else?

Bc it took us so much to get pregnant, I try to avoid complaining or biitching about it. But hot damn my hands are a mess.  It's pregnancy-induced carpal tunnel and I just have an ongoing tingly and numb feeling in my hands.  Hurts to make a fist or grip.  I've heard it goes away after delivery but my girlfriend said it worsened closer to delivery and stuck around even 5 to 6 weeks post delivery.  No!!!

Anyone else? Any other woes? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Sigh. My carpal tunnel is getting worse. Anyone else?

• I'm not sure what mine would be classified as, but I can relate to your pain. I've been having tingliness and feeling like I'm being shocked for a few weeks now and it has now gradually turned into a continuous state in my hands. So mine has definitely gotten worse, sorry to tell you. Sometimes if I reach for something, I feel like I get a big shock and my arm jerks. I'm sure it's because of how she's sitting on my nerves. I mentioned it to my doctor and they were not concerned.It's just annoying. I already had trouble with my hands before due to possible RA. I can't really clench my fists and have trouble using them on a normal basis.

Did your doctor give you any ideas on any therapy you could do yourself or anything to alleviate it? Good thing we don't have much longer!

• Oh wow no I haven't had any shocks or anything like that.  At least not yet.  Just a numbness and tingly and soreness.  Ugh.

My OB said to try wearing braces at night, and if that didn't help enough, that I could get some kind of steroid shot.  I'm trying to see if I can just wait it out.  My girlfriends that had it say that the braces really helped them, I just need to go buy some.

Hope yours gets better soon! 

• Loading the player...
  • UGH I am with you!! I dont know if its carpal tunnel, but the last two weeks my  fingers have become so stiff I can barely move them; I notice it the most when I wake up...Its as if I clench them or something during night time...I hope this goes away after LO arrives.
  • imageLanaLoves:
    UGH I am with you!! I dont know if its carpal tunnel, but the last two weeks my  fingers have become so stiff I can barely move them; I notice it the most when I wake up...Its as if I clench them or something during night time...I hope this goes away after LO arrives.

Yes, same here.  A few times, I've gotten up in the middle of the night bc of the pain.  It's alarming sort of. 

• imageStarbuck128:
    I'm glad someone else used "alarming" to describe the pain when it wakes you up. My hands are in bad shape, and the pain can be much worse at night. But when it wakes me up, it can be an almost panicky type pain, like something is very, very wrong. I've started wearing braces at night. They don't do anything for most of the pain, but it stops the kind of pain that wakes me up. 

I know!  Exactly!  Bummer that the braces don't help very much, but any relief at this point would be nice. 

• I just woke up because of that pain. I've had it in my right hand since about 12 weeks and it has progressively gotten worse. Now it's in my left as well. Braces helped a lot at first, but now they just keep it from getting unbearable. I'd still recommend trying. My doc said it should go away in the first few months after delivery. I'm praying it's days!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My hands and fingers are so swollen and painful! The morning is the worst and it does go down throughout the day. I also wake up during the night with tingling and numbness. It really sucks but I am thankful that so far my feet have been ok. There's only been a couple days I woke up and they were swollen too.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• Raises hand....

I've had it since about week 30, and it's progressively gotten worse.  It's gotten to the point that my fingertips are constantly numb. 

• I have had the same problems with my hands...it's definitely worse at night and has gotten worse the closer I get to my due date, and they stay numb and tingly all day.  I also get the "shocks" when I turn my wrist certain ways.  My biggest worry in regard to the carpel tunnel is that my thumb nails have turned blue at the bottom and I guess the lack of circulation is concerning.  The MD didn't seem too concerned about it so I guess I won't stress too much.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"