Postpartum Depression

Will I get PPD 2nd time around?

I was wondering if because I had PPD with DS, does that mean I am going to get it again after I give birth this time around?  I am terrified of getting it again, at least this time I will be better aware of the symptoms.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Will I get PPD 2nd time around?

• I believe I read that having ppd previously increases your risk of it with subsequent pregnancies. However, I talked to my OB during my second pregnancy, and we made a mutual decision to start me on antidepressants immediately after delivery, as opposed to waiting til things got bad. It's the best thing I ever did for myself. So that may be a possibility if you are really worried about it (like I was!)

• I'm scared of this too, had it with DS but never "admitted" to it, spent a lot of days crying and still feel bad about it, feel like my DS "knows" and like I was a bad mom at first.  I hope it is not as bad this time around.  I think maily it was becasue I feel like I lost myself and was very lonely and felt like I didn't know what to do.

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • I'm interested to see the responses to this post. This is probably my biggest fear about getting pregnant again. I'm absolutely terrified of the possibility of having PPD again. I will say that now I realize the symptoms and will not wait until my 6 week check up the next time we have a baby. I was talking to my SIL and said I really have no fond memories of my daughter being a newborn because everything felt so messed up and I felt like the worst mom in the world. I never want to feel like that ever again. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What I do for a living is centered around PPD. 99% of the women who had it with their first do not seem to have it with subsequent babies (my direct experience only). They are often surprised, because they thought for sure they would have it. Good news, but nothing is guaranteed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"