Military Families
Options

Tricare Reserve Select vs Tricare Prime

Hello. 
My husband recently got out of the Navy and is now in the process of joining the Reserves. We're covered by Tricare Prime until Feb 20th (6 month period after getting out) and I just found out today we'll have to switch over to Tricare Reserve Select. We thought we'll stay on Prime but pay a monthly installment (I know nothing of Navy procedure since we just got married a few months ago). I'm 16 w 3 d pregnant and have been going to Portsmouth Naval Hospital for all my prenatal visits and thought that's where I'll go for labor. Now apparently I will have to choose a civilian doctor, hospital, etc as the Navy hospitals can say no to treating me - it apparently works in a "space available" basis. 
I've been really happy with Portsmouth, really friendly staff, only thing I don't like is traveling through the tunnel to get there. I have nightmares of me in labor and being stuck in traffic in the middle of the tunnel, with my DH having to deliver our baby there.... lol.
Anyone have more info on this? And how much would co-payments be? My hubby is an E3.

I'd love to stay at Portsmouth if possible. 

Thank you! Oh we live in Chesapeake, VA.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Tricare Reserve Select vs Tricare Prime

• Options
    I had tricare reserve select my entire pregnancy. I paid around 300 upfront to the OB for delivery and 20 per ultrasound( they usually only cover 1 but I had an early complication). I paid 25 for the hospital stay. I don't know if we owe anything else still waiting to see if something comes in the mail. You will also probably have a 50 individual deductible. Hope this helps, pm if you have any other questions. My husband is an E4 in the Army Reserves.
    I Love You All the Way to the Moon and Back!
  • Options

My hubby is an E4 in the National Guard and I usually pay 15% of the charges for the visit, although occasionally depending on what was done, I don't pay anything. I know that last year our deductible was $50 but in October when the new fiscal year began, I found out it is now $100 and the rate for 2012 just dropped a little, by about $5.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We are on Tricare Reserve Select and I haven't paid anything for my current pregnancy. I never used this insurance before I got pregnant, but I believe there are co-pays for doctors that aren't related to pregnancy. But all pregnancy things are covered. I called recently and asked about a final hospital stay bill and the rep told me there were no charges. I'm still half expecting a small bill, but I know that is still pretty lucky.

I go to a regular doctor's office as there are no bases near us. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"