C-sections
Options

Did anyone receive medication for anxiety before/during C-section?

THey gave me something after DS was out (i'm very claustrophobic and was worried that i'd panic) -- it was great, but I don't remember a lot which bothers me- I don't remember being stiched up or leaving the OR even though I was awake- it was weird. DH said I was talking to him. It ended up working out well b/c DS went to NICU while I was recovering. Just wondering if you were given anything, what it was, and how did it affect you? I'm trying to decide if I want something next time. 
M/C #1 BFP 5/26/08, missed m/c discovered 9w1d (blighted ovum) M/C #2 BFP 11/19/08, missed m/c discovered at 12w1d (triploidy) BFP!! 3/27 Due date 12/5/09 Benjamin Tate is here! Born 12-1-09, 9lbs 5oz, 22" via C-Section M/C #3: d/x ectopic, methotrexate given 2/11 BFP!! 7/12, due 3-21-12

Re: Did anyone receive medication for anxiety before/during C-section?

• Options
    I don't know about DS1 but I know I wasn't with DS2. I wish they had given me something though and I'll probably ask for something this time. I didn't have any problems with anxiety but I felt horrible because of the spinal. The only thing that got me though was turning my head near the air vent since it was cold. DS2 was on the other side of the room even when DH was holding him. I'd rather be out of it since I can't enjoy it anyway.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was offered something to help me calm down before I went into the OR and declined. They asked again when I was shaking like crazy in the OR and I took it, I have no idea what it was but I don't think I had any reaction
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am prone to panic.  When I wrote up my birth plan (planned natural birth w/ provision for c-section) I was at one point seriously considering the option of GA because of how nervous the thought of being awake for surgery made me. However, in the end I chose the opposite and even specified that I did not want to be given versed, or other commonly prescribed memory blocks.  To me, the risk of having a freak-out couldn't overcome my wishes to be 100% present for the birth of my son.  Surprisingly, I did not get even the tiniest bit anxious or panicked during surgery and am glad that I chose to remain mentally present.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageILoveRunning:
    I am prone to panic.  When I wrote up my birth plan (planned natural birth w/ provision for c-section) I was at one point seriously considering the option of GA because of how nervous the thought of being awake for surgery made me. However, in the end I chose the opposite and even specified that I did not want to be given versed, or other commonly prescribed memory blocks.  To me, the risk of having a freak-out couldn't overcome my wishes to be 100% present for the birth of my son.  Surprisingly, I did not get even the tiniest bit anxious or panicked during surgery and am glad that I chose to remain mentally present.

This was me as well. My Dr wouldn't give me anything before hand, but the hospital had aromatherapy scents available for before the surgery if needed. I thought for sure I would need something after the surgery, but surprisingly I didn't.

Good luck!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I was given something to "relax" me prior to both my c-sections...DS #1 was an emergancy and I had a panic attack so that may be why this gave me something prior to DS #2.....I have a new OB this time so we will see what happens this time

Good Luck!

Court
    DH 40  ME 40
    GD, Myasthenia Gravis, Factor V Leiden

DS #1 born via emergancy c-section 01/23/06 at 37w

DS#2 born via c-section 10/27/2007 at 36w due to PROM

DS #3 born via repeat c-section 04/13/2012 at 39w

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away." - George Carlin
  • Options
    I actually had a doula for my 3rd c/s b/c I have so much anxiety.  She helped to keep me calm, hold my hand for spinal, talk me through breathing etc.  While I'm sure the nurse would do her best, it was nice knowing she was there for me.
  • Options
    I was having anxiety about being a first time parent, and my dumb husband talked me into the anxiety medication.  I feel it was the worst decision made.  I don't remember ANYTHING about my daughters birth.  The entire C-section is a blur and I don't even remember looking at her for the first time, I don't remember her first cry, NOTHING.  I know it may sound petty, but I feel "cheated".   If we are lucky enough to have another, I am NOT taking that medication again.
    If the house ain't burned down and the baby's fed it was a successful day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"