Preemies

Hi -- another intro, my son was born 29wks 1 day

My son, Lucas, was born on Nov 30th at 2lb 11oz.  He's doing really well so far... he was on room air but was having some problems yesterday so he's back on a nasal canula.  His feedings are increasing... I'm still adjusting to being a nicu mom (btw - I'm still feeling weird about that "mom" title).  It's been a rocky pregnancy: 2 yrs of ivf, placenta issues, a chromosomal scare (turned out to be fine), GD, shortened cervix leading to bed rest, water broke and landed me on hospital bed rest and then Lucas was born.

We live an hour away from the nicu so we've started staying at a friend's house which is 5 min away.  It's so nice to be close to him now, but I feel so displaced.  Looking forward to being healed enough from my c section to make the most of this time.  Thanks for having me!  I've heard this is a really supportive and warm board.

PCOS, Hypothyroidism, a ton of IVF... finally it worked => a rough pregnancy => my sweet, sweet son born at 29 weeks 1 day Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Hi -- another intro, my son was born 29wks 1 day

• Congrats on Lucas' birth! It took me a while to get used to "mom" - lol.  I hope you have a short and uneventful NICU stay - this board is fantastic support.
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I think all NICU mom's feel weird about the mom title at first.  It's like, I know I have children but I don't feel like their mother.  Anyway, I'm glad you are closer to the hospital now.  It must make things a tiny bit easier.  Hoping you have a quick and easy ride in the NICU.  And you are right, the ladies here are very warm and supportive. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Congratulations! my boys will be a week old tomorrow and we chose the BEST NICU but it still feels strange to leave them and i have been super emotional/sorry for myself that i have to leave them tomorrow and then will be an hour away.  hopefully it will get better! I am sure your little guy will have a nice stay at hotel NICU and wil be home before you know it!

santasmall Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Welcome!  I'm sorry you have to be here, but this is a very supportive group.  I think many of us can relate to not feeling like a mom.  I used to refer to my son as "my baby" in the same way you'd say "my purse" or "my shoes."  Like I OWNED him, but he wasn't really my son.  Eventually, that feeling gets better and you start to feel like a mommy.  I probably still didn't feel like a mom until I got home, but I definitely feel like his mommy now!

I look forward to following Lucas' story!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageimage
  • Welcome and congratulations! I'm only just getting used to the mom title - but saying "my son" still feels funny. I think that's a first time parent thing, though! :)

We built a blog that's in my siggy - I hope you will find it helpful. I have another link down there to a FAQ that you'll want to forward to friends/family so they'll know how to help you a little better. Trust us! It was put together by all the preemie moms who wanted to contribute and there are things we had wished we'd thought of in retrospect, KWIM?

Anyway, post photos of Lucas when you have time! :)

• Welcome and congratulations.

• Welcome and congrats on your little man!  I second what the others have said.  I had my boys in a hospital 2 hours away and it was rough going back and forth.  Post some pics when you have a chance.
  • Congratulations and welcome!  It takes a while to feel like "mom" with a NICU baby.  When we took DD home from the hospital, I told DH that it felt as though we were taking the hospital property home with us.  Things will get easier and you will start to feel like "mom" the more you help with his cares and visit.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Congrats on Lucas's birth! My son Henry was born at 29w4d. He has done really well, but I definitely remember the NICU stress... it does end eventually (sooner than you think!). Once you have that snuggly LO home there's no doubt you're mom! ((HUGS))
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • Congrats on your son! Life in the NICU is tough. I also live an hour away from the hospital and now I have one at home and one still in the NICU. It isn't easy, but you will make it work somehow. Hope your son continues progressing so well!
  • Welcome!  Ask any questions you have.  I wish Lucas a short stay and hope that you will be with him at home very soon!
    My Story and Blog:
    The Conception Craze

1/2009- TTTC
    After 7 rounds of clomid and HcG, Three failed IUI's with an ectopic pregnancy, two shots of methotrextate, ER visits, breaks, low (3%) morphology One IVF cycle (lupron, gonal-F) that ended in another ectopic, more methotrexate, A Lap to disconnect both tubes, remove endo and a hydrosalphinx, . . .we are finally expecting TWINS from FET#1!
    1.11. 2011: Beginning FET cycle!
    3.11.11- FET! (DH's birthday!) 2 blasts transfered!
    3.20.11- BETA #1 BFP!!! 272! (9dp5dt)
    3.23.11- BETA #2 1346!!! (12dp5dt)
    4.8.11- U/S #1. . TWINS!!! . . .TWO BOYS!
    9.10.11-My beautiful Boys arrive unexpectedly at 28 weeks, 6 days. imageimage
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image

• Congrats on the birth of your son!

WOW, I could have written this post almost. My DD was born at 29w,1d also and weighed 2lbs, 11oz! Crazy! I had to have an emergency c-section due to pre-e. I also had a chromosomal scare. My AFP came back abnormal and I had to have a level 2 ultrasound and amnio at 19 weeks. It ended up being perfectly fine. It was hard after my c-section because I wanted to go see her all the time but it hurt to sit in those chairs and/or stand by her incubator.

She had 2 pneumothoraces shortly after birth and had to have 2 chest tubes. She was on a vent for a day or two, then cpap then nasal canula then finally room air. That was all less than a week. It's such a blur now. She was in the NICU for 8 weeks, mainly just a feeder/grower after the lung issue. She was born on Easter and came home on Father's Day.

Since then, she's been doing great. Just some reflux/feeding issues but other than that she's completely healthy and doing great developmentally. She's rolling both ways, sitting up, standing with assistance, eating solids, etc. So, your LO should do just fine!

Congrats again! :)

• welcome and congrats!  Prayers to your LO!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"