Preemies

Eating probs with a 33-34 week gestation baby =(

Our LO was born early at 36 weeks,  or so we thought. She was an 8 lbs 2 oz baby and we had complications during birth. She got stuck in my pelvic bone and they had to really pull causing her to have brachial plexus =(. Heartbreaking as a mom. We have been in the hospital now for 20 days, tomorrow is 21, and she still is refusing to eat. We have been having to feed her through a feeding tube. The last two days the Dr. requested that we feed her by bottle only to see how much and how she would do, if she would gain/maintain. We have lost 2 ounces in the last two days which puts us down 3% of her body weight =(. We have had ultrasounds of her brain done and barium swallow tests and everything is "grossly normal". She will eat about 35 ml (supposed to eat atleast 65 ml per feeding) and refuses to eat any more. Yesterday we pushed her to eat at least 40 ml and she lost weight still. We are grasping at straws trying to figure out what is wrong and why she wont eat. Our Dr. says there is a possibility that she was born at 33-34 weeks vs the 36 which would make a difference, but not this much of a difference. =( Has anyone else had these problems?? or have anything similar happen?? We are so frustrated and SOOOOO ready to go home. She is the sweetest little most precious thing on earth, and i want nothing more than to take her home and start our lives....... HELP!

Re: Eating probs with a 33-34 week gestation baby =(

• My LO was born at 36w 5d.   However, we had the exact same problem with him refusing to eat.  He was also IUGR and was only 4lbs.  The neonatologist also commented that he was probably actually 32-33 weeks as I was not sure about my LMP.  Anyway, I was distraught and wanted to take my baby home.   I got it into my head they were keeping my baby from me (I was BSC but PP hormones are raging).  I was about to have him xfered to another hospital and even posted on how to do so. 

Unfortunately, exactly what the doc told me would happen did.  You just have to wait it out and they will start to feed on their own.  I pushed myself to make sure I was there at 5 feedings per day so I could talk to the doc in an informed manner about his care.  The nurses showed me a "side lay" feeding position that made it less stressful for him to eat from the bottle.   

I kept pushing the docs to increase his nipple feedings and decrease his tube feedings.  I tried to be patient and not watch the clock when feeding him even though I know we had to stay under the 20 min rule.  

Just give your baby some time and vocalize to the doc that you want to try to do some nipple feeds to see how he does.  Listen to your mom instincts.  They know when your baby is ready even before the doc knows.  PM me if you need to talk. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have a pediatrician who we were "assigned" and she is just very laxidazy about things. We are on ALL nipple feeds, which this is our 3rd day now, and she has lost 2 oz. They were trying to avoid putting her feeding tube back in so my fingers are crossed that she gained weight again today. *sigh* Seems like that's all we do is hope and pray ;). She never has hit her birth weight again, they took the tube out before we got all the way back to 8#'s. We tried to get a new pediatrician, but our pediatrician/family dr refuses to come to this hospital due to an administrative battle they had a few years ago. Been a crazy ride, just trying to stay optimistic. We switched her about a week ago to alimentum formula due to her having acid reflux, which has helped a little and they are adding "polycose" to it for more calories. Hopefully she decides shes starving before long and just starts eating like a little pig on her own. It's a horrible feeling to be a mom and not know how to fix your babies problems!
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you met with a speech language pathologist yet? My DS was born at 34w4d and we spent 21 days in the NICU, all for feeding issues.  He was good sized, 6# 13oz and had a good suck reflex, but couldn't stay awake long enough to finish his bottles.  Poor little guy just got all tuckered out. We met with the SLP several times and she was able to give us some pointers on how best to feed him (stroke his cheeks, twist the nipple a bit, unswaddle) and that helped a bit.  We would also try to bottle feed and what he didn't take, they would push through the feeding tube, to make sure he was getting all the nutrition he needed. But like PP said, you really just have to wait for it to "click" for them.  With DS, within 2 days he went from alternating tube feeds and bottle feeds to all bottle feeds and then we were able to take him home and he's been doing fantastic ever since. 

Ask for a consultation w/ a SLP if possible and hang in there!  Hopefully, it won't be too much longer.

• imageklovesy:

she was able to give us some pointers on how best to feed him (stroke his cheeks, twist the nipple a bit, unswaddle) 

yes those helped us too! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"