3rd Trimester
Options

Fetal arrhythmia

So I'm a little nervous about this. I went to the doctor on Thursday for my regular weekly check up (we are now 37 weeks) and my baby's heartbeat was irregular. He's been perfectly heathly and had a regular heartbeat until now. Right away they put me on an NST test and when it was still going they did a biophysical profile. The doctor said the baby wasn't in immediate danger, but sent us to a pediatric cardiologist just to be safe. We met with her yesterday and she said the structure of his heart is fine, but he has premature atrial contractions on the 4th beat out of every 5. She said it's a little more than usual, but to not be concered. Of course, being a first time mom, I'm scared that something will go wrong! Has anyone else experienced this and how did it turn out for your children? I'm hoping the best, but of course my mind is running through thousands of scenarios.

Re: Fetal arrhythmia

• Options

I had a similar (sort of) issue at about 25 weeks. I was listening to the baby with my home doppler and I was picking up an irregular heartbeat. I called my doctor and she saw me in the office and agreed the heartbeat was irregular, but she just said she would see me again in 2 weeks to see if it got better. I got an ultrasound while I was at work and I could see the heart having a little extra contraction every so often. At the next check the heartbeat was normal, so no follow up was necessary.

For those 2 weeks I was freaking out! I work on a maternity unit so I was going over to L&D everyday and asking every doctor and nurse about it! Everybody said that it is so super common and 9 times out of 10 it corrects on its own. You know the structure of the baby's heart is okay, so that is great news. It could resolve on its own. Also, remember that fetal circulation is totally different than ours and when that cord is clamped they have a totally different circulatory pattern.

Good luck, and I am sure that everything will turn out okay.

• Options
    Thanks! I know I'm being paranoid, but I just can't seem to help it! I'm hoping at our next appointment things will be more normal.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just went in at 37 weeks and we had a fetal arrythmia as well; the baby had a skip in the heartbeat.  We got it checked out the next day and the heart looks good, just that the blood is flowing to the lungs (as it should) and when the flappy thing opens it hits the chamber which makes a little skip.  This flap closes at birth (because the lungs dont need the blood flow once born) and then the skip goes away.  It was great information but they want me to come back in a week to have it monitored again and I thought that was a little excessive.  Or, I am just hating having a million doctor's appts and having to take off more and more work than I want.  If they are not concerned its a good thing, the heart is one organ I dont want to mess with!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"