Health & Exercise
Options

Safe to eat pasteurized eggs?

With the holiday cookie baking season presenting many tempting raw cookie dough opportunities, I am wondering if it is safe to eat pasteurized eggs?  I know raw eggs are a big no-no, but heard if they are pasteurized they should be ok.  Anyone know? Thanks!

Re: Safe to eat pasteurized eggs?

• Options
    I eat raw cookie dough occasionally, it's so good. The only time I didn't do it was when I pregnant. It's really only an issue if the egg had Salmonella in it I think and from what I remember it's pretty rare that the would contain it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I've eaten raw eggs my entire life (in dough/batter, as well as breakfast shakes). I'm not going to stop when I'm pregnant.

The risk of salmonella from raw eggs is EXTREMELY LOW. 1 in 30,000 eggs. Which with average egg consumption, comes to to "you might come across a contaminated egg once every 42 years".

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, pasteurized eggs are the option of choice for raw/undercooked eggs whether you're PG or not.  I was a licensed baker for a while and was required to only use them for all cooking/baking at the time by the state...  The biggest difference is that with regular eggs, the "sell by date" and the "use by" are a month off...  With pasteurized eggs, you need to use them by the dates listed on the packaging..

That said, like PP have mentioned, any risks are relatively low, OTOH, they still exist with the non-pasteurized eggs. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I ate raw/undercooked eggs allllll through my pregnancy and my LO didn't have any issues other than the extra 2 arms.

I wouldn't worry too much.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I bet those extra appendages come in handy around the house!  Thank you all for your responses. I am new to this (being pregnant and posting messages), but it is awesome to know others are in the same boat! I am off to make my cookies and will enjoy some of the batter as I bake:)

• Options

A recent study found that it was actually the raw flour, not the eggs that caused problems.  

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/12/beware-of-raw-cookie-dough/ 

Now I know why drug addicts don't stop using during pregnancy despite the risk . . . I can't quit raw cookie dough!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"