3rd Trimester
Options

Internal exam: do different dr's tell you different

things as far as progress (dilation and effacement)?  I realize it's not an exact science, but Wednesday morning I had a routine dr visit and my dr told me I was a fingertip dilated and maybe 30% effaced.  Wednesday night I was seen in L&D because I had a horrible stomach flu yesterday and couldn't even hold down water. I was contracting regularly. The nurse said I was "bone dry" and I was given iv fluid and anti-nausea meds which made the contractions go away and I felt much better, however the head nurse who perfromed my internal said with confidence that I was 1.5cm dilated and 70% effaced and she could feel babies head. That seems to be quite a difference in what I was told earlier that day, so either the dehydration contractions caused me to progress, or I'm getting conflicting info from my providers.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Brayden (5 1/2) born 12.28.06
Hailey (4 1/2) born 2.25.08
Taylor (8 Months) born 12.26.11
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Internal exam: do different dr's tell you different

• Options
    Probably from the contractions you did progress. But it also can change much faster then that. You could be having a baby very soon
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

its hard to get an EXACT measurement, so you will probably get different answers.

i had 4 different drs tell me different answers over a course of 4 days.

thats not to say you havent progressed.

please stay hydrated!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It isn't exact but in your case, I would guess you probably progressed a little due to the contractions.  Progress can happen really quickly.  I have a friend IRL that was not dilated or effaced at her 40 week appt and spontaneously went into labor and had the baby only a few hours after her appt.
  • Options
    You really didn't dilate a whole lot, they say a fingertip is 1 cm dilated but you could still go into labor at any time. Most people stay at a 1 for a while but I dont think they're usually that effaced so Idk. I did have a friend who was dilated to a 1 and her daughter was born the next day. But goodluck to you!! Big Smile
    Daisypath - (fpox)Lilypie - (cr8G)  Lilypie - (jTpT)Lilypie - (LZoT)
    Started Dating DH 09/03/2009 Married 07/01/2011 
    Surprise BFP 10/18/2008 EDD 06/19/2009 DS #1 Born 06/16/2009
    TTC #2 12/2010 BFP 05/15/2011 EDD 01/09/2012 DS #2 Born 01/11/2012
    DH adopted DS #1 06/25/2012
    TTC #3 06/2013 BFP 02/19/2014 EDD 10/30/2014 DS #3 Born 10/10/2014

• Options
    Yeah, every doctor/nurse will have a different opinion. I was in L&D on Tuesday and the nurse said I was 1 cm and 70% effaced. Today my MW said the nurse was being generous, and she thought I was 1 cm and only 50% effaced. She told me that it depends on who is checking you and how fat their fingers are, lol. It's all subjective. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"