January 2012 Moms

Do you think exercise will bring on labor quicker?

I'm 35 weeks tomorrow and if I had it my way, I'd go all the way to my EDD of 1/13/12.  I want to maximize my time off!

I haven't exercise for almost 2 weeks though was doing so before that.  Was going to jog/walk today and do some turbo kickbox tomorrow. 

I wonder if that would bring on labor quicker?  Sorry if this is an ignorant question, just curious if anyone has any insight.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Do you think exercise will bring on labor quicker?

• I don't think I've ever heard of anyone going into labor because of exercise, but I have heard that it will help after labor to get your body back and prevent PPD. 

But I am a FTM, so what do I know? :) 

DD 1.18.2012
  • Same here! lol
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been told that exercise is one of the things that can encourage labor if your body is already ready. I had a good work out pretty late in the evening the night before I went I to labor with my first, so it seemed to be true for me.

I don't think you have to worry about having your LO early because of exercising though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • my guess would be no, not at 35 weeks.  I don't really think there's anything besides a c-section that would bring on your baby that early if your pregnancy is otherwise normal/healthy etc. Big Smile So unless your OB has given any reason to think that you might go early then I would say go ahead an exercise if you feel comfortable!

But I will add in my experience- when I was 3 days overdue with DD I went on a 2.5 hour walk (since it's an OWT that it helps bring on labor and I was DESPERATE to do anything to get this baby going).  But like I said I was already overdue and who's to say that or the spicy food, sex, bouncing ball, any of that had anything to do with my baby being born the next day, or if it was purely coincidence.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm abstaining from vigorous excercise because I have a feeling it will. I scared myself the other night.
  • Yeah I do remember that the last workout I had, which was a jog/walk that lasted about an hour, my vag had some pretty sharp pains that evening.  I know it could be completely unrelated but maybe not. 
  • Well, it sure worked for that woman who ran the Chicago Marathon this year and had her baby later that afternoon . . .
    image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In my non researched opinion, probably not. I know a lot of people that worked out their entire pregnancies and carried to or past their due dates. I have been slacking the last couple weeks, but got in a good long workout today, and it felt great. It definitely improved my mood, and I feel better than I have in days. Go for it! Your body should tell you if it is too much.
    Caroline (5), Kyle (3), Lucy (01/04/12)

2012 Goal: working towards pre-pregnancy speed!
    04/15 KI Metric Marathon/16.3 m (2:05:55, 7:43 pace)
    05/06 Frederick 13.1 (1:41:09)
    11/04 NYCM
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"