January 2012 Moms

GD Tricks

I've been so rocking my blood draw numbers lately that I've graduated from having to see the nutritionist every two weeks.  Here are a few tricks I've learned in the past few weeks that keep my numbers in line. I hope they are helpful!

Barley is my best friend.  And this is a delicious way to eat it:

https://smittenkitchen.com/2008/10/beef-leek-and-barley-soup/

If I eat one serving of barley soup or stew during a day the fiber seems to work some kind of magic on my pancreas.   My numbers for the rest of the day and the following stay in the 70's and 80's.  Meals that would normally push me into the 110-120 zone still clock in around 86.  Barley.  Amazing stuff.

Chobani almost makes me not mind having GD.  I didn't think that I would be able to eat yogurt, particularly yogurt with fruit in it, and still get good numbers.  But I've been having 2 or 3 Chobanis a day and getting great numbers.  I like to have one at night before bed.  It is almost like dessert, so rich and creamy, and the amount of protein in them does my blood good. 

Fat.  It has the same dampening effect on sugar spikes that protein does.  So if low fat milk is giving you bad numbers, try whole, or, in your coffee, try half-n-half. 

For my birthday last week we ate out at a French bistro.  Between the pates, butter that the little snails were swimming in, and the duck, I was able to get away with eating both bread and cake in the same meal and still have good numbers that night.  And since it isn't like we are getting a lot of calories from refined carbs these days, it is okay to increase our consumption of fat. 

Does anyone else have any new tricks for controlling their numbers?

image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: GD Tricks

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"