January 2012 Moms
Options

Push Gift

Are any of you ladies getting a push gift?

My mother is getting me some chanel earrings for my push gift and my husband is getting me a juicy couture charm bracelet.

My mother is also getting herself a pushee gift because she has had to put up with me this entire pregnancy and feels she deserves a gift.

My family and husband asked me what I wanted for my push gift, I did not demand or ask for a push gift.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Push Gift

• Options

Nope.  I think push presents are ridiculous... but to each their own.

ETA:  I don't mean to flame or be snarky.  I just don't think it's necesary to get a gift for pushing out your baby.  Enjoy your gifts though - they sound nice.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm getting a baby. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageNiniJ55:
    pretty much this.  Sounds like a hallmark holiday kinda thing to me.  We didn't do one for DD either.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My push gift is my beautiful daughter
    Hold On ....Michael Buble
    MTHFR 2 copies of C677t mutation homozygous 2/2010
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby A born via c-section 1/10/12 @38w3d
    BFP #1 11/4/09 m/c 4w3d baby crab
    BFP #2 12/4/09 m/c 9w3d baby lion
    BFP #3 7/1/10 m/c 4w1d baby fish
    BFP #4 5/8/11
    BFP #5 8/17/12 10dpo beta 7
  • Options
    No. I would be upset if DH spent money on me for doing something like giving birth. But I am a cheap-o :)
    DD 1.18.2012
  • Options
    I don't know that I'd consider it a push gift, but DH does want to get me something to symbolize all 3 of our kids since this is definitely our last baby. I am thinking a set of 3 stacking rings, but haven't decided on birthstones or engraved names. Either way it won't be purchased until after I have the baby.
    Caroline (5), Kyle (3), Lucy (01/04/12)

2012 Goal: working towards pre-pregnancy speed!
    04/15 KI Metric Marathon/16.3 m (2:05:55, 7:43 pace)
    05/06 Frederick 13.1 (1:41:09)
    11/04 NYCM
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have no idea, but it's the last thing on my mind...I'm just excited about my baby! My birthday also falls on Jan. 29, and there's Christmas...so I'll already be getting gifts!
    DD: 1/8/12
    DS: 3/12/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    my mil gave me a coach diaper bag with my first son even tho i had him via c section. i told my bf not to spend money on a gift since then money was very tight. this time i told him i want a necklace that is in the shape of the moon and says i love you to the moon and back, than a little charm with our sons name on it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We won't be doing this either, especially since it's so close to Christmas.  There is no need to spend more money, and I have more jewelry than I can possibly wear.  Mother's and Father's day will be fun though since this is our first.
  • Options
    I had never even heard of a push gift until I saw that thread on the 3rd trimester board.  It's such a silly idea, especially since I feel like I've gotten so many gifts already from the baby showers.  The best gift I could probably ask for would be a healthy baby and a couple of hours for a nap!
    July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options

imageoutlierallie:
    I'm getting a baby. 

This.  

• Options

imageCinco:
    I don't know that I'd consider it a push gift, but DH does want to get me something to symbolize all 3 of our kids since this is definitely our last baby. I am thinking a set of 3 stacking rings, but haven't decided on birthstones or engraved names. Either way it won't be purchased until after I have the baby.

This is what I'm doing, too.  I have a very thin eternity band in garnets for DS and for Christmas/my push present DH is getting me one in blue topaz since this baby is 99.9% surely coming this month if not any day now. 

• Options
    Well, I wouldn't say DH bought me a push present, but we bought it together.  A 2011 Mercedes GLK 350.  It's GORGEOUS and it's the 2nd safest small size SUV on the market. (Behind the Volvo, which I didn't care for.)
    Pregnancy Ticker image image Anniversary
  • Options

If your DH chooses to surprise you with a thoughtful present out of the goodness of his heart, fine.

But really?

If anyone ever suggests they deserve one, I'll give them what they really deserve...

• Options

DH said my gift will be given to me after I give birth. He says it'll be wrapped up, but when he gets it it'll be covered in some sort of goo and blood and kinda loud.

I'm guessing its a puppy..... 

• Options
    imagenoah-bear:

DH said my gift will be given to me after I give birth. He says it'll be wrapped up, but when he gets it it'll be covered in some sort of goo and blood and kinda loud.

I'm guessing its a puppy..... 

bahahahaaaa! 

the LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalms 34:18
    My Blog || BFP Chart
    11/27/10-BFP, EDD 8/9/11 || 1/4-7/10- missed m/c 9wks
    4/25/11- BFP , EDD 1/5/12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

My hubby and I were just talking about this last night! He offered David Yurman jewelry but our budget is pretty tight right now so I told him to wait until my bday in May - BUT I think I do want to do a cute little locket with the baby's DOB engraved on it and his picture in it or something. Or maybe start a charm bracelet with the first charm being baby's DOB and little feet or something?

My mother recently gave me my grandmother's charm bracelet that has a charm engraved for both her children and all of her grandchildren. It's very very special.

I was also thinking of something cute for MIL & Mom - maybe the same little locket? Or the cute little necklaces with tiny feet on one side and engraved name & DOB on the other?

So, to answer your question, YES we plan on something but still in research mode...

• Options

imageDEBBIE33CASEY:
    imageNiniJ55:
    pretty much this.  Sounds like a hallmark holiday kinda thing to me.  We didn't do one for DD either.

This. 

The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy says, in big, bold, capitol lettering, "Attention Husbands: The Girlfriend's Guide heartly recommends that you show up with a gift of some sort shortly after the baby is born.  You will almost never go wrong with jewelry, since it will fit even before your wife has lost her baby fat.  It indicates an appreciation of the value of the chore she has just performed.  If people get generous rewards for finding lost dogs, you wife is now entitled to the hope diamond for the service she has just rendered." 

The whole thing about being "entitled" to jewelry just rubbed me the wrong way.  Isn't getting a baby the ultimate reward?  (the whole book rubbed me the wrong way.  The author's attitude is just mind blowing to me.  I only read it because it was given to me)

• Options
    imageNiniJ55:

ETA:  I don't mean to flame or be snarky.  I just don't think it's necesary to get a gift for pushing out your baby.  Enjoy your gifts though - they sound nice.

This!

• Options
    DH asked me what a push present was since his sister is demanding one once she has her baby and I told him I think they're pretty much something only spoiled people think they deserve. I am all for buying gifts randomly because you love your significant other but saying "I got you this because you pushed our baby out" seems ridiculous to me. As women we know that getting pregnant means having to get the baby out too, I don't think it entitles anyone to a present for doing so. 
  • Options
    I'm getting a push present! My parents got me a diamond solitaire pendant and my husband is getting me diamond hoop earrings. I know that my real present is the baby, but I'm not going to turn away jewelry!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I hate the phrase "push present." 

The thing is, my husband is great.  I wouldn't have put it beyond him to decide to get me something special to commemorate the birth of our baby.  Something sweet, like flowers, jewelry, a nice card, or homemade baby-themed coupons.  And I would have loved it because it was such a sweet thought on his part.  

But now that push presents are "thing," it kind of takes away from that special-ness.  He may still get me something, but I certainly don't want him to feel like I need something.  

I'm also a little confused because many women know what their push present is, or get the present before the baby is born.   In that case, I wouldn't consider it a push present.  I'd consider it a piece of jewelry/car/etc. that you decided to get together.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageanhg80:

I hate the phrase "push present." 

The thing is, my husband is great.  I wouldn't have put it beyond him to decide to get me something special to commemorate the birth of our baby.  Something sweet, like flowers, jewelry, a nice card, or homemade baby-themed coupons.  And I would have loved it because it was such a sweet thought on his part.  

But now that push presents are "thing," it kind of takes away from that special-ness.  He may still get me something, but I certainly don't want him to feel like I need something.  

I'm also a little confused because many women know what their push present is, or get the present before the baby is born.   In that case, I wouldn't consider it a push present.  I'd consider it a piece of jewelry/car/etc. that you decided to get together.

Um. . .

Ok. So mine went like this. I was driving a 2003 VW Beetle TurboS.  No one wants to have to load and unload a baby in a two door bug.  We decided together to go out and buy a new car for me. I never asked for, nor did I tell my husband about, push presents.  However, as we were driving home in the car he turned to me and said, "Since this is a brand new Mercedes, can we call this your push present?" I thought it was adorable and I told him I didn't expect a push present anyway, but SURE! :)

You deciding if that counts as a "push present" or not is a bit baffling to me.

I also find it a bit odd that you think YOUR husband would, before this became a trend, probably think to give you something sweet but now that you think it's a "thing" it is no longer special. So you are basically reserving the gift as something genuine from your husband that you may still get, while efficiently discrediting all the other gifts on here as too trendy, disingenuous, or that they just flat out don't count because you say so.

Pregnancy Ticker image image Anniversary
  • Options

imageOliveU10:
    I'm getting a push present! My parents got me a diamond solitaire pendant and my husband is getting me diamond hoop earrings. I know that my real present is the baby, but I'm not going to turn away jewelry!

Exactly!!!

I understand the baby is a gift, but a little appreciation from your SO or family I think is nice.

• Options

To me it is incredibly sweet when a partner goes out and gets a little token to commemorate the huge event in their lives and all of the things that the woman has gone through carrying their baby.

I would never ask for one (I won't be getting one either since there's no SO in the picture) and wouldn't expect one or be disappointed if there wasn't one. I do think its sweet when thought of by the person giving though! 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've never even heard of this. I mean, I wouldn't turn down jewelry, in fact I would LOVE something with three garnets in it to symbolize me, my mom and my daughter all being born in January but I would never ask for it and I didn't realize there was a name for this sort of thing. Even if my birthday weren't in January it could wait until my next birthday after the baby comes, I don't see the need for a special gift just for having a baby. And a CAR? Hey, more power to you if you can afford a new car for having a baby. In our case, the husband is next to get a new car (sometime very soon) so I guess he will be getting the push present. Stick out tongue
  • Options

I think expecting to get an expensive gift because you had a baby is obnoxious, but to each their own. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I guess I wouldn't call it a push present, but my husband bought me an Audi Q5.  He kept saying I needed a mom car, and was so happy to buy it.  I did not ask for it, I was perfectly happy with the car I had, but it was something he really wanted to do and we can afford it, so why not?  His car is more of his toy that he drives alone...loud and fast.  We have always used my car as the "family car" for when we are together or take road trips so it is a present for both of us sort of.  But he refers to it as my push present.  Also my husband was raised not celebrating Christmas or birthdays, so he buys presents for me for other reasons, or for no reason at all.

I think anyone who would ask for or expect a push present would be tacky and entitled, but I do not get the hostility that people seem to have towards husbands who choose to do something like that on their own.

Layla 01.08.12

Chloe and Vivian 07.23.13

My Gang.  Halloween 2013

• Options

Some people are getting way too bent out of shape about this subject! I think it just depends on the individual couple's preference, and their finances. In my situation, it makes more sense not to do a push present because we'd rather save money for the baby and other things. My SO mentioned it awhile back, but I told him I didn't think it was necessary.

• Options

If you ask for something, it is not a "push present."  Its picking out something you want.  And if you buy it together, also not a push present.  Its something you buy together.

I don't know if "we're" doing push presents.  But I think my DH knows our finances enough to know what we can afford.  I know he appreciates what I've gone through.  I'm thinking flowers and a few foot massages will do the trick but as PP said, I would not turn down jewelry.

• Options
    Yup - my hubby just told me tonight that he already picked up a push present for me and that he is excited to give it to me in the hospital after the baby is born.
  • Options

I don't think I had ever heard the phrase "push present" until I opened this thread. I thought I was opening a thread about regifting. lol!

So, no, I don't think I'm getting a "push present." When asked what I wanted for Christmas I said that it would be nice to get a ring or necklace with baby's birthstone in it, but I now realize I might have spoken too soon because he might be early. Oh well.

Anyway, no push present. No "babymoon" either. I think both sound like they're made up by companies like Hallmark to encourage you to spend money. That being said, the actual sentiment behind both is kinda sweet. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto everyone else.  I'm getting my daughter.  I can't think of a single thing I would even want for a push gift anyway.  I've had such a hard time coming up with things I want for Christmas even.  
  • Options
    imagetheladyjess:

imageDEBBIE33CASEY:
    imageNiniJ55:

This. 

The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy says, in big, bold, capitol lettering, "Attention Husbands: The Girlfriend's Guide heartly recommends that you show up with a gift of some sort shortly after the baby is born.  You will almost never go wrong with jewelry, since it will fit even before your wife has lost her baby fat.  It indicates an appreciation of the value of the chore she has just performed.  If people get generous rewards for finding lost dogs, you wife is now entitled to the hope diamond for the service she has just rendered." 

The whole thing about being "entitled" to jewelry just rubbed me the wrong way.  Isn't getting a baby the ultimate reward?  (the whole book rubbed me the wrong way.  The author's attitude is just mind blowing to me.  I only read it because it was given to me)

I would be totally annoyed if my husband bought me jewelry for having a baby.  I don't care for jewelry wouldn't want him to spend money on it.  The only jewelry I ever wanted him to buy me was the engagement and wedding ring.  Also, this book annoys me because it puts all women into the stereotype of loving jewelry and being superficial about material goods.  I love well thought out gifts but my favorite gifts involve quality free time more than tangible objects.   

• Options

imageeec129:
    I have no idea, but it's the last thing on my mind...I'm just excited about my baby!!

THIS

• Options
    I'm also kind of turned off at the idea of push presents. We chose to get pregnant and have this baby and I don't think I should get a special gift because I'm doing what is natural, i.e. to have a baby. I have not been working for 6 months due to the horrible nausea and vomiting I experienced from week 6 - 20 and my husband has supported me financially and emotionally the whole time. I am very grateful to him for that and can't think of any better gift than to bring our beautiful baby boy into this world. If my husband went out and bought me jewelry or something expensive as a push present, I would probably be upset because I would rather we save our money for the baby. No doubt pregnancy and childbirth are difficult, but I personally don't feel the need to be rewarded for enduring it, other than with the reward of having our son come into our lives.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"