Preemies
Options

How long will they keep me on magnesium???

Hello everyone, I made my first post yesterday a little about my story...im new to this so i dont know if im doing it right :P

Anyways, my question today is - how long will they keep me on the magnesium?? I came in on thursday and its now Tuesday evening. Ive been on the mag the entire time theyve just been increasing and decreasing throughout...Doctor and I both seem to think that the mag is the ONLY thing stopping it at this point and once it stops i'll just take off..obviously they cant leave me on it forever so at what point will they just let it happen? will they wait for my contractions to break through the mag?

My doctor said they cant leave it on 3grams like it was the other day- yesterday they decreased it to 1 but back to 2 last night because i started contractng yet again....i know no one can give me a deffinate answer because every doctor and situation is different, just looking for a little more information :)

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How long will they keep me on magnesium???

• Options
    How many weeks are you again? I know they try not to keep people on it for too long, but if it's the only thing that is holding off labor then they'll have to weigh the gestation versus the risks. Have they tried any other anti-contraction meds for you? I'm assuming they're monitoring your vitals/urine output/etc so they can make sure the mag isn't hurting more than helping?
    ~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    32w2d. And yep they're doing all that. Im tolerating it very well so i guess that makes it easier too. But they havent tried anything else
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know in my situation (I didn't have mag), they weren't going to let me go beyond 34 weeks.  I assume your water hasn't broken?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options
    I was on Mag for 3 days and I feel for you- it was not fun. They might keep you on until you deliver. Good luck and be patient- it is a helpful med that could save your life and help LO's brain development. I felt a difference within a few hours of being off it. Best of luck
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Thanks everyone :) No, my water did not break. My doctor said the goal at this point is to make it to 33 weeks but she really doesnt think ill go much longer than that because like i said the mag is the only thing holding it back at this point.
  • Options
    I was on mag for 5 weeks before they finally got me off of it (weeks 22 to 27 roughly). I had a rough day and a half at 3 then was dropped back to 2.5. I was on that for about a week and a half before they had to turn it back up. They got my contractions back under control and were able to keep me between 2 and 2.5 along with oral Procardia and terbutaline shots as necessary. At about 27w they were able to wean me off the mag and just do the Procardia plus oral terb and the occasional terb shot until I was released to home bedrest at about 29w. At home I took my Procardia and terb pills every 4 hours around the clock, and managed to carry until 36w0d. I know the mag is awful but I credit it with saving my babies -- getting them to viability and beyond. Best of luck to you!
    After 20 months TTC with PCOS, we were blessed with twins!
    They arrived at 36 weeks after PTL and bedrest for 14 weeks. Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"