3rd Trimester

Anyone know anything about irritable uterus?

I'm hoping this isn't something that's posted frequently on this board. I just hit my 3rd tri so I haven't been on here much and I didn't see anything in the recent results.. so I apologize in advance if I missed it.

I was just hoping someone might have some insight on what it means to have an irritable uterus. And how many BH is too many? When is it cause for concern?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone know anything about irritable uterus?

• I was diagnosed with irritable uterus about 26 weeks. The Drs do not seem concerned in the least about it though. (They have only mentioned in once since being diagnosed with it.) It simply means (in my personal situation...don't take this for the actual scientific diagnosis) that I will have more BH than others and little things will trigger the uterus to contract. Symptoms of the irritable uterus should not effect the baby and is not considered actual labor. The symptoms that I personally have are: loose stools (haven't had any constipation issues because of it), tons of BH contractions, and some uncomfortability.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am jumping over here a little early. I had irritable uterus problems when I was pregnant with DD. One thing they really stressed to me was that I needed to be drinking lots of water and stay away from caffine. It seemed to help so this time I am drinking lots of water to help prevent it. Good luck.
    "Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
    Goodbye little angel(7/22/2011)....see you in heaven
    Goodbye my second angel (9/18/2011)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • i had an irritable uterus and turned into PTL at 32 weeks. i dilated to 3cm and was put on a terbulatine pump to try to lessen the amount of contractions i was having. i averaged 13 an hour and had as many as 17 an hour. he still didnt come out until 37 weeks =) 

• imagemylittlesunshine:
    I am jumping over here a little early. I had irritable uterus problems when I was pregnant with DD. One thing they really stressed to me was that I needed to be drinking lots of water and stay away from caffine. It seemed to help so this time I am drinking lots of water to help prevent it. Good luck.

This too! Totally forgot about the no caffine! (That was probably on purpose...the forgetfulness of the no caffine! heheehe).

• I have one. My MW wants me in to be monitored if I have 6 BH in an hour. She told me at my last appt (because I had been in L&D a few days before to get a shot to stop contractions) that preterm labor takes less contractions to get baby out than term labor, so we need to address/stop it ASAP. 
  • imageteacherlindz:
    I was diagnosed with irritable uterus about 26 weeks. The Drs do not seem concerned in the least about it though. (They have only mentioned in once since being diagnosed with it.) It simply means (in my personal situation...don't take this for the actual scientific diagnosis) that I will have more BH than others and little things will trigger the uterus to contract. Symptoms of the irritable uterus should not effect the baby and is not considered actual labor. The symptoms that I personally have are: loose stools (haven't had any constipation issues because of it), tons of BH contractions, and some uncomfortability.

Based on your experience alone, I'd say that's me!

• At 26 weeks, I started having contractions (thought they were cramps) and they lasted 3 days straight before my Monday morning appointment, which confirmed - contractions! They were strong and 2 to 5 minutes apart. Anyways they sent me to L&D and put me on magnesium, by Tuesday morning the contractions were gone. The docs still don't really know what caused it, but my cervix has been measuring fine since and I haven't had any contractions. Some lingered after that stay in L&D but a week of bed rest seemed to do the trick.

Drink lots of water, make sure to keep your pelvic muscles relaxed (laying back with knees above pelvis is good, as is laying on side)... haven't heard the stuff about caffeine, but that might make sense - though I've had my usual intake and haven't had a return of the problem. I think for me it was physical activity and the pressure of the baby.

Doc told me I probably just had an irritable uterus! 

• Have you had any cultures for Bacterial Vaginosis or fetal fibronectin since this started? I was having painful contractions last Thursday with cramping and diarrhea (well more like loose stools). I ended up in birth triage and was diagnosed with BV, which they said was irritating my uterus and causing my contractions (several an hour). They screened me for fetal fibronectin (marker for preterm labor), and did vaginal exams (cervix remained close, long, and baby was high). Fetal fibronectin screen was negative, which if you are negative you only have a 1% chance of being in preterm labor. So, they let me go home after a few hours of monitoring with a prescription for flagyl. 24 hours later the contractions stopped. Not saying infection is the cause of all irritable uterus, but vaginal infections and UTIs can cause contractions and even preterm labor. I'm surprised they didn't have you go into birth triage for monitoring between when this started and your doctor's appointment.
    Mrs. B Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagesarahlyn:
    Have you had any cultures for Bacterial Vaginosis or fetal fibronectin since this started? I was having painful contractions last Thursday with cramping and diarrhea (well more like loose stools). I ended up in birth triage and was diagnosed with BV, which they said was irritating my uterus and causing my contractions (several an hour). They screened me for fetal fibronectin (marker for preterm labor), and did vaginal exams (cervix remained close, long, and baby was high). Fetal fibronectin screen was negative, which if you are negative you only have a 1% chance of being in preterm labor. So, they let me go home after a few hours of monitoring with a prescription for flagyl. 24 hours later the contractions stopped. Not saying infection is the cause of all irritable uterus, but vaginal infections and UTIs can cause contractions and even preterm labor. I'm surprised they didn't have you go into birth triage for monitoring between when this started and your doctor's appointment.

Agree w/ this post.  The steps above were the same taken by my Dr- she sent me to L&D after my visit, FFN and culture for infection.  Unfortunately, my FFN was positive so they kept me at the hosp for the weekend...I didn't have an infection either which would have also been an easy fix...and my uterus has continued to be irritable.  I was 24w4d when this happened and was allowed 4 contrax per hr for 2 consecutive hrs before I had to call the dr.  When I got to 32 weeks I was allowed 6 contrax and hr.  Hopefully it is nothing that lots of water and some rest can't cure...but better to be safe than sorry.  Good Luck!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"