March 2012 Moms
Options

Questions to ask Dr

I have my 24 week appointment tomorrow and I always seem to get there and forget ALL my questions that I had throughout the month.  Does anyone have any questions that they asked their dr's?  I'm a FTM and I don't know what to ask

THanks

Re: Questions to ask Dr

• Options
    I do this too! I was going to ask about what the plan is the rest of the pregnancy as far as ultrasounds, exams, tests and so on. I asked about work (I have a physical job and have had a few contractions). Also, don't know about kick counts since I have an anterior placenta and don't feel everything although she moves all the time. Also, Rhogam shots b/c I am Rh negative. Don't know if some of this applies to you but hope it helps. Don't forget to write it down, hearing the baby always makes me forget everything!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I had my last appt on Monday and I asked about the following:

When do I get my Rhogam shot?

When/Where/Who re: circumcision?

Talked about pediatricians my MW recommends

Talked about potential birth class options

Got my Glucose test form

One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

i have been asking my dr some questions at each appt, as to not bombard him all at once.  some things i have asked and some that are on my list to ask are:

~ what is your protocol for overdue babies?

~ how do you feel about delayed cord clamping?

~ how often do you do episiotomies? 

~ what is your c/s rate?

~ do you do breech vaginal deliveries?

~ can i do intermittent fetal monitoring?

~ how soon can i leave the hosp assuming that we are both healthy and the birth was normal?

~ what are the normal newborn procedures?  (good to know ahead of time if you plan to decline any of them.  we are declining hep B, eye ointment, possibly vit K and i want to see if we can postpone the PKU test)

~ what is your protocol on my water breaking?  do i need to go straight to the hosp, assuming i'm GBS negative, or can i stay home for awhile?

~ what is the protocol for laboring at home?

~ what are the different birthing positions that you are comfortable with?

~ does the baby stay in the room with me the whole time or will he/she need to go to the nursery?

~ how many people are allowed in the room?

~ how do you feel about doulas?

~ do you have a list of things that the hosp provides for me and baby? 

~ do you recommend a childbirth class or technique?

~ is there a lactation counselor available at the hosp? 

~ how do you feel about a birth plan?

~ when do you recommend that i take my tour of L&D?

~ how often do you do a natural birth?

~ do you have tubs available for me to labor in?

~ can i do a hep lock instead of an IV?

~ do i stay in the same room for LDR?  if not, do i get my own room for recovery?

that's all i can think of off the top of my head right now. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I just had my appointment and didn't ask a thing.  I was going to ask about pedi recommendations but was so sidetracked by the news from DH's Uro I forgot.  I'll call her tomorrow.

We did go over the GTT and anything I should be aware of but that's about it.  We also told her about the latest on R.  My BP was up a little bit (120/76) and while not bad at all I felt she should be aware that we are a bit stressed so it may read higher than my normal range.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageTexas77again:

i have been asking my dr some questions at each appt, as to not bombard him all at once.  some things i have asked and some that are on my list to ask are:

~ what is your c/s rate?

~ how soon can i leave the hosp assuming that we are both healthy and the birth was normal?

~ what are the normal newborn procedures?  (good to know ahead of time if you plan to decline any of them.  we are declining hep B, eye ointment, possibly vit K and i want to see if we can postpone the PKU test)

~ what is your protocol on my water breaking?  do i need to go straight to the hosp, assuming i'm GBS negative, or can i stay home for awhile?

~ does the baby stay in the room with me the whole time or will he/she need to go to the nursery?

~ do i stay in the same room for LDR?  if not, do i get my own room for recovery?

I was told the you could not decline the Vit K shot or eye ointment.  The only thing you can decline is the hep B vaccine.  Weird...? 

• Options
    imageTexas77again:

~ what is your c/s rate?

if that was off the top of your head then I am jealous lol wish my brain worked that well! I may copy and paste this and bring it to my next OB apt. they can fill it out like a OB pop quiz :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I went on Tuesday.  This is what I asked:

-Details I needed to know about the Gluclose test which is next appt. 

-Aches and pains I'm having when I wake up (kind of like RLP)

-When do we go to appts. every 2 weeks?

-Should I be doing kick counts?

-When does the 3rd tri start? (He actually told me now...I was shocked)

This may have been suggested already, but I keep a little notepad in my purse.  When a question comes to me, I write it down.  Otherwise I wouldn't remember anything to ask either.  You feel like you have this small window of time to get answers and you don't want to blow it.  Its pressure!  Good luck. 

• Options
    Thanks everyone!!! Now I have some good questions to ask
  • Options
    imagejenskurnick:

I went on Tuesday.  This is what I asked:

-Details I needed to know about the Gluclose test which is next appt. 

-Aches and pains I'm having when I wake up (kind of like RLP)

-When do we go to appts. every 2 weeks?

-Should I be doing kick counts?

-When does the 3rd tri start? (He actually told me now...I was shocked)

This may have been suggested already, but I keep a little notepad in my purse.  When a question comes to me, I write it down.  Otherwise I wouldn't remember anything to ask either.  You feel like you have this small window of time to get answers and you don't want to blow it.  Its pressure!  Good luck. 

I have the question about 3rd tri too. A book I have says 3rd tri starts at 24 or 25 weeks (can't remember which), I thought It was more like 28. I think thats what it says on here.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagestrawberryblonde2011:

I was told the you could not decline the Vit K shot or eye ointment.  The only thing you can decline is the hep B vaccine.  Weird...? 

sooo, a nurse is going to hold your baby down and put a needle in his/her leg and goop in his/her eye against your wishes?  i really do wish that a biitch would try to do that to my baby.  i would probably stab her in her jejunum...lol. 

i did hear on here that in NY, i think, the vit k shot is required, but if i truly didn't want it i would fight that. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"