Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

HELP! I'm getting desperate! (kinda long)

Can you tell I'm Christmas shopping? Big Smile

Ok, I need ideas for FIL. He's literally the only one H & I cannot think of a single thing to get. It's ridiculous. He is 71. He doesn't play any sports or exercise and does not want to. If he has any hobbies, he's keeping them a complete secret. He hates change. To the point that he refused to get new furniture when they moved into their new house. I would like to point out that their couch has a blanket sewn onto it because of the worn out holes. Yep, this is what I'm dealing with.

In past years, we've gotten him a remote control helicopter (H's idea) that he ooh'd over but hasn't used more than twice. We got both him & MIL kites for their camper in Cape Cod. She uses hers a bunch and loves i. Him, who knows? We've also gotten him tools, but he's got everything he needs and more now. He's had the same clothes for 30 years and wears the same thing all the time, t-shirt & jeans. Last year, we got them tickets to a performance at a local theater (similar to cirque de soliel), which he enjoyed but I've checked their calendar and there isn't anything he's actually go to.

Help? Please? I'm begging. All Google gives me is golf stuff.

Re: HELP! I'm getting desperate! (kinda long)

• Options
    Do they go out to eat at all? Maybe a gift card to a favorite restaurants? Will he go to the movies? An order from Omaha Steaks (if he likes meat) or Wolferman's (if he likes breakfast yummies)? 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You said he likes camping?  My aunt/uncle LOVE to go camping and good gifts for them are always things like flashlights, battery powered lanterns (or rechargeable lanterns), camper grills, batter powered camping fans, etc.  Does he fish when he goes camping?  You could always get a gift card to a bait/tackle shop?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagePeonyPumps:
    You said he likes camping?  My aunt/uncle LOVE to go camping and good gifts for them are always things like flashlights, battery powered lanterns (or rechargeable lanterns), camper grills, batter powered camping fans, etc.  Does he fish when he goes camping?  You could always get a gift card to a bait/tackle shop?

I wish. I'd have it so easy. When I say camper, it's only a technicality. It's on a permanent site at a "campground". It's a mini second home. They have running water, shower/tub in the bathroom, full size bed, stove/oven, cable, etc. There's even a screened in deck. But they don't need anything for it. They even already have a grill cover.

• Options
    imageOctGirl80:

imagePeonyPumps:

I wish. I'd have it so easy. When I say camper, it's only a technicality. It's on a permanent site at a "campground". It's a mini second home. They have running water, shower/tub in the bathroom, full size bed, stove/oven, cable, etc. There's even a screened in deck. But they don't need anything for it. They even already have a grill cover.

Um.... pink flamingo lawn ornament then?  :-D   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageTBLilyRose:
    Do they go out to eat at all? Maybe a gift card to a favorite restaurants? Will he go to the movies? An order from Omaha Steaks (if he likes meat) or Wolferman's (if he likes breakfast yummies)? 

This might work. Unfortunately, I don't think $100 to the 99 is gonna cut it. And he's not a movie person.

He's a huge PITA. I've never met anyone more picky and yet not interested in anything. I loathe shopping for this man. Seriously.

• Options
    Id get a Visa Giftcard and call it a day .
    Photobucket
  • Options
    How about some homemade cookies and a donation to his favorite charity?
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Random question - does he watch a lot of TV?  What about a lap blanket from LL Bean?  They are warm and cozy and would be something he could use if they also live in the NE and likes to watch TV or read books, etc. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't like posts like this.  It makes me so glad I stopped this nonsense with my family.  It's so stressful and I'm pretty sure my parents don't use any of the gifts I've gotten over the years.  If you have to buy a gift for a 71 year old man, then just give a gift card. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Maybe a gift card for a years worth of car washes???  I know that sounds a little weird - but they get expensive and most older folks like a clean car?  Or maybe a gift certificate for a car detail?
    BabyFetus Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Is he sentimental? You could get him a coffee mug with your LOs picture on it. Or put a picture of him and LO or him and his wife in an engraved frame? 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Thanks ladies. I'm going to run these past H and hopefully we can be done with it.

And I totally agree about not wanting to do this anymore. We don't exchange at all in my family and we all are very happy about it (we still buy for LOs). We tried to suggest the same in his family a few years ago and it was a fiasco.

• Options
    Does he drink?  A nice Scotch or bottle of wine might be nice... or a gc for books to read in his camper? Stick out tongue
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    just get him a robe hah
  • Options

My dad is the hardest person to shop for so last year I took an old photo of him and blew it up to poster size.

The photo was of him playing the guitar in his band. I made it look like a cool music poster. He loved it.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"