3rd Trimester
Options

Marginal placenta previa at 33 weeks? c-section

I had my 32 week u/s today and the tech said my placenta is RIGHT next to my cervix, but not covering.

My dr. will look over the photos and will get ahold of me tomorrow or Friday..

I am thinking I will have to have a scheduled c-section then? Do you think this is 100%?

How early do they usually schedule those compared to the actual due date? 

Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Marginal placenta previa at 33 weeks? c-section

• Options
    I had an anterior placenta previa. Thankfully it resolved by my 32 week ultrasound. I experienced numerous bleeding episodes and had several L&D visits early on. I was told that most physicians prefer that the placenta be more than 3 cm away from the cervix in order for a natural birth and that any closer would be taking an unnecessary risk of hemorrage. I have carried very small, not even showing until the 7 month mark, so there wasn't much hope it would resolve. But I grew quite a bit in the last week of my 6th month and when they did my ultrasound my placenta had moved and it was 4-5 cm from my cervix. At 32 weeks you do still have some growing to do and it may move. If it was only a marginal previa/low lying placenta then it is possible.
  • Options
    IMO it's too early to schedule a C. My friend had placenta previa and they confirmed around 37 weeks that it moved out of the way and she was clear for vaginal delivery. You still have a lot of growing to do and since it's next to your cervix and not actually covering it, then you should definitely be ok.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hmm ok..I was diagnosed with it around 18 weeks and it hasn't budged..yet
  • Options

I had the same thing... I had an ultrasound at 20 weeks, then 28 weeks, then 34 weeks and I have to have yet another one at 38 weeks.  My OB told me that it has to be more than 2 cm away from the cervix for delivery (hospital guidelines/standards).  I guess it depends on your OB but he/she will probably send you for another ultrasound in a month....  Mine didn't move to more than 2 cm (it is now 2.5 cm) until 35 weeks and I was told it is still low which is why they want to do another one... I was told that I can try 'natural' delivery but if there are any issues during delivery I'll need a section.  

I think it totally depends on the hospitals guidelines as to how far away your placenta has to be.  I've heard anywhere from 1 cm to 3 cm.  For me, they will let me try but I'll need to be hooked up to IV and I had a work up done for an epidural incase they need to do a c-section.   

As for scheduling your c-section should you need one I think they generally do those at week 38 or 39 ( probably depends also on if you've had bleeding with your previa).   

Hopefully it moves up :)  

• Options

Do you think dr. will limit any of my activity with the marginal?

I am still working and occasionally run food to tables at my restaurant..so a little bit of lifting..

• Options
    Mine never did... But I have never had any bleeding.  
  • Options

I had complete placenta previa diagnosed at my 18 week ultrasound.  At 28 weeks, it moved to marginal.  Then, by 32 weeks, it was close, but I was given the okay to have a vaginal delivery and the previa had resolved.  Apparently, my doctor likes to have the placental edge at least 2.5 cm away from the edge of the cervix, and mine was 2.7 cm.  So, it just four weeks time it was fine. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

dumb question but how do they know how many cm?  I ask because the u/s tech said she couldn't tell by the u/s cause babies head was in the way

• Options
    i had placenta previa at twenty weeks, at 24 weeks it moved to a partial previa and  i was scheduled for a c section as a precautionary measure.  I go back in a week or so for them to look again and see if it moved.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had complete placenta previa that was fully resolved by 34w (3 cm away). My OB was willing to wait until 39w to make the call on c section vs vaginal delivery
  • Options

but DO they schedule a c-section IF you have marginal for sure? I doubt it will clear up..it hasn't budged at all..

• Options
    I read one website that said a c-sec in cases of marginal placenta previa was not 100%; some cases still allowed for natural birth, but I don't know how often that occurs.  Most sites say the scheduled c-sec is around 37 weeks because they want to do it before your uterus starts prepping for labor.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"