May 2012 Moms
Options

Anyone not naming the baby until they are born?

For DS, we had a few names we were tossing around. (We knew it was a boy) DS was unnamed for a couple days and we ended up picking a name that we hadn't even discussed prior to his birth! I really felt like we went with what we felt for a name. It was a total accident, but we are planning on doing it again this time. Anyone else?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone not naming the baby until they are born?

• Options
    Dh and I will likely do the same. We'll have a short list of names, but I just can't imagine naming the baby until meeting him or her. We might have *the* perfect name all picked out but it just might not suit the baby when they make their entrance.
    Nevermind me, I'm too distracted by my mini-carrots to think properly image
    ~Fitness Blog~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We are tossing around ideas, but we won't settle on a name until we meet the LO (we are team green anyway).  I think it's weird when people have already named the baby and shared the name with everyone before he/she is born.  For now, LO has a funny in utero nickname that keeps us amused, and keeps us from calling him/her "it".
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We'll probably go in with a list of 4, and some middle name options. But I think when you look at your baby you'll just "know". I wish I could settle and pick one. But, until then, I'll stick with a nickname.

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    DH and I have 4 names picked and we decided we're not gonna pick one til we see him.  :)
  • Options
    I want to have a few options when baby is born and pick when I meet him/her. And if he/she feels like a different name, we'll go with that! Hubby thinks this is stupid, and that babies should have names before they're born, how could they be out and not be named? I'm not concerned. We'll see who wins ;-)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    We haven't even really narrowed down names at this point, but I think we might do this.  We might have a few ideas and then decide on the spot.  We aren't going to tell a soul what the name is going to be (or the list of possibilities, if we go that way) before the baby is born, just because I don't want to know people's opinions. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We'll have a list of hopefully no more than 2 or 3 but won't officially decide until the baby is born.  Although I'll probably know which one it will be, we just won't tell everyone else.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

imagecharmschool:
    We aren't going to tell a soul what the name is going to be (or the list of possibilities, if we go that way) before the baby is born, just because I don't want to know people's opinions. 

Agreed!  This is going to drive my family insane though. I might break under the pressure

• Options
    We have a top 3 for a girl and 2 for a boy. We aren't going to share with anyone names that we are considering, and won't make a final decision until we meet our baby. 
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    We are tossing around ideas but won't actually decide on a name until the birth.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageJinnifah:
    Dh and I will likely do the same. We'll have a short list of names, but I just can't imagine naming the baby until meeting him or her. We might have *the* perfect name all picked out but it just might not suit the baby when they make their entrance.

This. 

Glad to know we aren't alone.  :-)

• Options

imagetheresat858:
    We're trying to pick out names ahead of time, but I won't actually name the child until I see his/her face.

This.   

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We are both very indecisive people. That being said, we have several names we have been throwing around and while I'd like to pick one ahead of time, we may need to bring a few names with us and meet our LO before deciding. I don't know! I guess we'll cross that bridge after we FINALLY have our a/s (in January <scream>)!
    --Danielle :-)
  • Options

I don't trust myself to come up with something brilliant on the spot, so I assume we'll at least have a short list.  Otherwise we'll end up with some freak like Roofus Barnaby or Sherqueeta Mae.

If pregnancy brain is bad, I can't imagine post-labor brain.

• Options
    imagenoycela:

imagecharmschool:
    We aren't going to tell a soul what the name is going to be (or the list of possibilities, if we go that way) before the baby is born, just because I don't want to know people's opinions. 

Agreed!  This is going to drive my family insane though. I might break under the pressure

A friend of mine just had her baby yesterday and she didn't announce the name until he was born.  I knew she was doing that and didn't ask, but people were getting pretty aggressive with her on Facebook wanting to know the name.  I can only imagine how people were in person!  I'll have to ask her for tips on how to stay strong.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

DH and I can't agree on any names and then it occurred to me after reading your post maybe HE wants to wait until he meets his son/daughter to name him/her. I didn't even think about that. I have always lived by the notion I would name by child before their arrival - case closed.

I did read an interesting article that approximately 30% of parents change their child's name within the first year of birth because it doesn't suit them or they hate the name/way it sounds, etc. Another reason for waiting until LO arrives?

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

imagetheresat858:
    We're trying to pick out names ahead of time, but I won't actually name the child until I see his/her face.

This. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    We changed my 1st daughter's name when she was born -after announcing it to everyone, wall letters, etc.  We don't finalize or announce names in advance anymore.
    BabyFetus Ticker Blessed with a girl and boy, number 3 due 5/5/12!
  • Options
    Boy name we have decided, but the girl name we have two options and will decide once baby is here.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We are team green so we obviously wont name the baby until s/he arrives however we will have names picked out.
  • Options

We're team green, so we obviously won't announce the name before birth. We do have a full boy first & middle names chosen, as well as a girl first & middle. However, I have always felt you can't be sure till you meet the baby. I was 6 when my brother was born, and specifically remember that we originally were going to call him by two initials, such as TJ, but once he was born, he was certainly not that name. It was dropped to the first name before he left the hospital.

Now, my only dilemma is, both our girl names & boy names are all family names. So I worry that what we meet our baby & he/she doesn't look like the name we picked! I'm really only concerned with boy name, as the girl name has a long list of nicknames I adore. So maybe I should come up with some backup names!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    We have a short list of names for both boys n girls.  We plan to narrow it down to 1 or 2 names by the time the baby is born and then decide for sure after the LO's born. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options

With DS, we had a few names picked out but were Team Green and thought for sure we were having a girl so when the doctor told us he was a boy, we scrambled.  He was unnamed for a day or so and it wasn't until after we really got a chance to see and spend time with him that we decided on a name.

I'm sure it'll be similar for this one.  We haven't really talked about names yet and probably won't until after the new year.  We're Team Green again so we'll have a couple of names we like set aside, but that's probably about it.

• Options
    Since we are team green, we are going to have two boy first and middle names and two girl ones set aside.  Then we will see if the baby is a boy or girl and see which fits the baby best!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"