3rd Trimester
Options

I failed the 3 hour test.

So, I failed the 3 hour glucose test. So I have Gestational Diabetes. After crying for 30 minutes I have finally calmed down. :-(

Re: I failed the 3 hour test.

• Options

Aw **HUGS**

It's not forever and it's easily controlled by diet! 

BabyFruit Ticker
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Hugs. I had it, it is hard to take news that something has gone 'wrong' but it's really not the end of the world. It's fairly easy to manage for most women and almost always goes away.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    no need to cry sweetie! It will be fine. Just means less comfort food is all.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
  • Options

So, what should I expect as far as doctors appointments and such? Anything different than seeing my regular OB? 

• Options
    imagetayrob1986:

So, what should I expect as far as doctors appointments and such? Anything different than seeing my regular OB? 

Depending on the severity of the test fail, you may be diet controled or insulin dependant. I was Diet controled, one of my sisters was ID.

you will see a nutritionist. The Dr or nutritionist should give you a basic list of foods to avoid and foods to eat. You will likely get a glucose test kit, and need to check your sugar a certain number of times per day, usually after a meal.

Until you see the nutritionist, cut back on all sugars and carbs. Go for protien style burgers, no bun. Switch to small glasses of juice and mostly water. No sodas, no candies, lots of veggies. reduce the fruits, small quantities.

To counter the reduction of carbs, I suggest fatty meats, like theighs instead of Breasts of chicken, more red meat. Otherwise you might just end up loosing a pile of wieght like I did. Not really a bad thing, but I weighed 15 pounds less 1 week after delivery than I did a week before I got PG.

GL!

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
  • Options
    so sorry to hear that :( Did they call you right away? I just did mine on Tuesday.
  • Options
    The nurse told me yesterday morning that she would call me at 3:00 today. She called me at 2:50. My samples had to be sent off to the lab. 
  • Options
    When I was pregnant with my daughter I saw a perinatologist for PIH. Then when I was diagnosed with GD-I began to have a BPP everytime I saw him as well, which was every 2 weeks. They checked her size everytime, which is a concern with GD. By the end of my pregnancy I was on insulin.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Options
    imagetayrob1986:

Your doctor may bring you in for more frequent appointments toward then end of your pregnancy.  I started with twice weekly Non-stress tests (basically just being hooked up to a fetal monitor to record baby's heart rate over a period of time) and once weekly ultrasounds and dr appointments to monitor blood sugar around 33 weeks.

I found moderate exercise to be key in helping me control my GD.  A 10 minute walk after meals helped my body process the carbs and kept my bs numbers in check.

It can definitely be difficult to face the news that you have GD.  For me the first two weeks were toughest, trying to adjust to a new diet, all the blood testing, and just the fact that something was "wrong".  However, after awhile it becomes routine though, and I delivered a totally healthy 7lb 13oz baby.

The high risk board on the bump has a lot of GD ladies, and can be a tremendous support.  Good luck. 

Love: 8.10.99
    Marriage: 12.18.04
    DD1: 5.19.10
    DD2: 4.11.12
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"