Stay at Home Moms
Options

Homemade pinata question...

Has anyone done a homemade pinata for their kids birthday? What was your take on it? We over did it on Christmas this year and both my oldest girls birthdays are right after Christmas so I am going cheap this year on their birthday parties and thought that this would be fun for my girls to make but I am worried about how well it will hold up or which recipe/ idea is best to go with.

Any help would be appreciated.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Homemade pinata question...

• Options
    Well I made them all the time when I was a kid. This is how I did it. Rip newspaper into strips. Blow up a balloon. Make a paste flour and water. put strips in paste then on balloon. Do several layers. Hang to dry. Pop balloon. Decorate with tissue paper, glitter, ect. 
  • Options
    imageKitCat1:

I made one for P's 4th birthday.  It was in the shape of Mickey Mouse, the theme of her birthday party.

The paste that I used was flour and water.  I don't remember the "recipe" in that I can't tell you how much water vs. how much flour.  It was a runny paste.

I built the head out of balloons and cardboard for the ears (I think...).

I did one layer of newspaper and then let it dry overnight.  I did a second layer of newspaper, and let it dry overnight. Then I did a layer of tissue paper in the colors I needed to make it look more like Mickey.

It was really strong.  Took a lot of batting around to destroy it. 

The recipe I have is just like what you are describing. How did you get the string to hang it with to stay put without ripping it is heavy from the candy and being hung?

Also how did you attach the ears to the pinata? Thanks for your help :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Last time I made a pinata, someone let go of the bat and broke an adult's nose. Surprise

I did a Mickey before. I made the ears out of black cardboard and cut opposing flaps on the bottom. I slid those through slits in the pinata.

I am Turkey Lurkey... b/c it sounded better than Cocky-Locky.
  • Options
    imageTurkey Lurkey:

Last time I made a pinata, someone let go of the bat and broke an adult's nose. Surprise

I did a Mickey before. I made the ears out of black cardboard and cut opposing flaps on the bottom. I slid those through slits in the pinata.

Oh dear... That really sucks! I bet the focus shifted real quick from "what a great pinata" to "Oh Sh**, are you ok?"

• Options
    imageSammysu:
    imageTurkey Lurkey:

Oh dear... That really sucks! I bet the focus shifted real quick from "what a great pinata" to "Oh Sh**, are you ok?"

holyshit what happened?

go get towels!

where are my keys? how do I get to the hospital?

It was bad. Her eye swelled and so much blood was running down her throat, she was gagging and dizzy. She had a bunch of stitches and spots in her vision for a while.

I hope your pinata goes smoothly. My best advice is to keep everyone far, far back and make sure all are paying attention. It was a complete accident and happened in a second. The batter lost her footing and let go. It flew 20 feet. Also, it was a only a solid foam bat and had just a small piece of plastic on the bottom of the handle.

• Options

Wow, crazy!!

So, how did you keep the string/rope in tact for hanging without it ripping off the top?

• Options
    imageSammysu:

Wow, crazy!!

So, how did you keep the string/rope in tact for hanging without it ripping off the top?

I reinforced the top portion with a a big piece of plastic I cut from an old container and paper mached over it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"