Infertility Veterans
Options

Anyone else just not celebrating this year at all?

I feel like such a Grinch but I have no desire to celebrate this year.  With DH not working and the first holidays after the babies died, (last year I was all pregnant and goofy happy because I had gone two whole weeks without bleeding) and I just don't want to celebrate.  It feels wrong.  I should have two 6 months olds to celebrate with and without them, I see little point.

My family totally understands and is not pressuring me to attend any events.  DH's family is not so understanding so we will do X-Mas dinner/gifts at MIL.  Other than that, I don't want to put up decorations, go to holiday parties, shop, bake...nothing. DH is trying to be understanding but I can tell he is worried that I am so anti everything related to the holidays. I am being such a bitter betty aren't I?  I am not sure what the normal amount of anti-social this time of year is acceptable and what is amount is, "You should go get a happy pill from a doctor."

TTC since 07/2009
Me: PCOS, Blood/Immune Issues DH: Low all 3
Jun.- Sep. 2010 IUI#1-#3 = BFN
Oct. 2010 = IVF #1 = B/G Twins (passed away Feb. 2011)
May 2011 = Myomectomy and trans-abdominal cerclage (TAC)
Sep. 2011 = Surprise BFP = C/P
Feb. 2012 = sFET #1 = BFN
Feb.2012 = Hail Mary IUI #4 = BFN
April/May 2012 = FET #2 w/our last two embies = BFP (Please let this be it!)
Beta #1 8dp5/6dt = 234 Beta #2 10dp5/6dt = 695 Beta #3 12dp5/6dt = 1796 Beta #4 17dp5/6dt = 17,888 U/S #1 May 17, 2012 = Twins
Baby B's heart stop beating at 9 weeks 5 days
Our little miracle baby is a boy. :)

Baby Boy Owen and Baby Girl Avery were born too early on Feb. 13, 2011 due to a pedunculated fibroid, incompetent cervix and suspected placental abruption.
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

"What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose." - Henry Ward Beecher
SAIF/PAIF Welcome
Lots of love and luck to my PAIF/3T/IF Veteran ladies, especially my dear friend Zookie. Congrats to Papps, Teach84 and Starbuck on their little ones.

Re: Anyone else just not celebrating this year at all?

• Options
    You need to do what is right for you. If I have learned anything through all of this, it is when sh!t happens, you have to take care of yourself. If that means pissing off someone else, well so be it. They need to get over it and deal. Thinking of you!! (hugs))
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ((hugs)) I think it's perfectly understandable that you're not feeling festive this year. I'm going through the motions, but my heart's not really in it. In fact, the only reason I'm putting up decorations is so that we can take pictures of us doing it for our adoption profile book!
    Trying to grow our family with both fertility treatments and adoption since March 2009 
    IUIs#1-4 = BFN, IVF#1 = c/p, IVF#2 = OHSS, FET#1=BFP
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageNesting.Away:
    You need to do what is right for you. If I have learned anything through all of this, it is when sh!t happens, you have to take care of yourself. If that means pissing off someone else, well so be it. They need to get over it and deal. Thinking of you!! (hugs))

Exactly. So what if you don't celebrate the holidays?!? ((hugs))

• Options

I agree... people don't realize how long the grieving process can be and how it can affect you, sometimes when you think you are "ok" and it will resurface.

Big hugs, I am sorry for your loss.

I am AMA and all tests on H came back normal
    3 failed IVF with OE and 2 failed frozen DE cycles
    Last fresh hail mary DE cycle starting Feb 2013
    PAIF/SAIF always welcome
  • Options
    Don't feel guilty about not wanting to celebrate, you need to protect yourself and do what feels right to you. ((HUGS))
    TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageNesting.Away:

Hugs. I agree with Nesting.  You need to do what is right for you no matter what anyone else says.  I decorated the house, but still feel like the mantle is naked with only dh's and my stocking.... I'm debating getting stockings for the boys, but don't know if I will.  I enjoy visiting family this time of year... other than you ladies, I feel they are the only ones who understand what we're going through.  And as for cookies, I'm a cookie monster and chocoholic, so I don't need any excuse there. :)

TTC #1 since October 2008. Dealing with MFI.
    IVF #1 w ICSI in July 2010 = BFN
    IVF #2.1 in Oct 2010 converted to IUI = BFN
    IVF #2.2 w ICSI in Dec 2010 = BFN
    Met with new RE in new city on 1/31/11.
    IVF #3 w ICSI in April 2011. HPT on 5/9 = BFP!
    Beta #1 on 5/10 (10dp5dt) = 99.4. Beta #2 on 5/12 = 284. First u/s on 5/26. = Fraternal TWINS!
    Twin boys born & lost on 8/16/11 at 18w1d due to PPROM & preterm labor.
    IVF #4.1 in Jan 2012 converted to IUI on 1/7/12 = BFN
    IVF #4.2 w ICSI in Feb 2012. Lupron on 2/10. Stims on 2/18. ER on 2/29- 7R,6F
    ET scheduled for 3/5/12- nothing to transfer :(
    Dh seeing new MFI uro & Dh starting meds- June 2012.
    IVF #5 in Dec 2012 = BFFN.
    IVF #6 planned for Spring 2013. Praying for our take home baby/ies.
    **P/SAIF and P/SAL always welcome!**

• Options
    My family lives out of town, and we have no money to buy gifts. I definitely feel like we are not "celebrating" this year. I keep thinking about how I was planning to announce my pregnancy around this time, and the whole rest of the year just seems pointless. I hope next year I will feel like celebrating again, but this year can suck it.
  • Options

This year is much harder for me with the holidays then last year. I think I was still in shock this time last year. This year I should have two nine month olds. It just feels like something is missing, like there's a huge hole.

I also have a new job that doesn't give any time around the holidays so this will be the firs year we don't go home. It just seems weird. My mom is coming out so we're trying to create new traditions but it all seems so forced.

I'm forcing the cheer and decorating, baking, parties, etc. and hoping my atitude follows.

I don't have any advice. I just get how you're feeling and think you should do whatever you want to.

TTC with severe MFI since 9/08 IVF w/ ICSI #1 May/June 2010= BFP twins
    Callan George and Bennett Charles born and died 11/7/10
    FET #1 April 2011= BFN
    FET #2 July 2011= no transfer because my lining sucked
    FET #3 February 2012= BFP! 1st beta 9dp5dt=314 2nd beta 11dp5dt=977 1st U/S 3/20 Twins- Heart rates of 111 and 138 Pregnancy Ticker
    Living After Losing
  • Options

I feel like a grinch too.  I"m not really in the mood to celebrate either.  I should have my babies here too and they're not so it makes me sad. 

DH talked me into putting up the tree so I agreed to do that and I hung mini-stockings for the babies last year when I was pregnant so I'll hang thos on my stocking's hook this year. 

I did purchase a special ornamet to put on the tree for my boys.  It makes me feel better that they will have a place at the holidays.  It's here if youy want an idea: https://www.thecomfortcompany.net/Those-we-have-held-in-our-arms-Memorial-Ornament.aspx

I am usually BIG into sending xmas cards but not this year. I won't send any, I don't think. 

One other girl I know IRL who lost her 16week baby a month before I lost the twins told me that she's celebrating and putting up a ton of lights so all our babies have something pretty to looki down upon from heaven.  She's also 32 weeks pregnant with another (after trying for 1 month post loss--grrrr) so her mindset isn't as jaded as ours, but I kind of get her point. 

The hard thing for me is that both my sis and SIL had babies this year so we won't be doing family stuff unless they're not coming since we haven't even met the babies yet because it's too hard and we don't want to make a crappy time for us worse by being around babies on their first Christmas!

I wish we all lived closer together so that we could all get together! ;(

TTC Since 10/08 4 IUIs=BFNx4
    IVF#1=BFP!! Twins!!
    Bradley and Billy born and lost on 2/2/11 at 19w2d due to pPROM/PTL. I miss you, little angels.
    IVF#2=BFN
    IVF#3=c/p IVF#4=Empty Follicle Syndrome; 1 mature, fertilized, & made it to blast. 5dt of "the lone ranger" on 9/6. Please stick, little one! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    ((HUGE HUGS))  Take care of yourself.  That is the most important thing.

imageimage

~SAIF/PAIF/Everyone Welcome~ 

Me= 37 and DH = 41 

Dx: DOR, Endo, APA+ (really high beta 2 glycoprotein antibody and high everything else tested), heterozygous MTHFR mutation, positive for lupus anticoagulant, high FSH, low AMH and both tubes blocked (per HSG on 3/8/11)

IVF #1 - long lupron (with HGH, intralipids, lovenox and BA); 4 retrieved, 3 fertilized; ET 2 blasts and 1 frozen = BFN

IVF #2 - a version of antagonist with EPP (with HGH, intralipids, lovenox and BA); 6 retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized, 2 blasts and 1 frozen blast transferred on day 5 = BFN.

IVF #3 April was postponed to May, May was canceled. June/July was canceled. Had a cyst aspiration and then began IVF #3 in August. ER on 8/22; ET on 8/24 with AH. +HPT on 9/5. Beta #1 (11dpo) = 3; Beta #2 (15dpo) = 29; Beta #3 (17dpo) = 60; Beta #4 (19 dpo) = 118. Heartbeat at 6 weeks 6 days =132.  Lil is here!

TTC#2:  Trigger + TI = BFN; Clomid + Trigger + IUI = BFN.

IVF #4:  BCP + MDLF + Lovenox = 7R, 1F = Transferred 1 6-cell embryo on day 3 = BFN

IVF #5:  MDLF + Lovenox = 4R, 1F = Transferred 1 10-cell compacting embryo on day 3 = BFN

IVF #6:  (New RE):  Long Antagonist November 2014 (transferred two 8 cell grade 1 embryos and froze one blast) = BFN

FET#1:  BFN

• Options

imageNesting.Away:

All of this.  You've been a boatload of sh!t and you don't need to be pleasing any one.  You and your DH need to take care of yourselves and if some people don't like it, well that's too bad.  Big hugs to you.

TTC #1 w/ endo since Sept 2005. After many losses, a lap, tons of meds and tons of testing and, one failed IVF cycle, we were blown away with a surprise, sticky BFP...it's a girl!!! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We've all had our bitter periods,I think. You do have to take care of yourself and your DH 1st. Everyone will understand and if they don't then it's their problem. I f you don't feel like celebrating I don't think you should. Do something for yourself...be kind to yourself and it really is ok to spend the holidays in a more low key fashion....especially since it's the 1st. Firsts are so hard (((hugs)))
  • Options
    I think you have to do what's right for you!  Big ((hugs)) sweetie!
  • Options
    I'm going through the motions like Orange said, but my heart just isn't in it.  If it wasn't for having to sing a bunch of Masses I'd not do anything Christmas-y @ all.
  • Options

I agree that you need to do what's best for you. I haven't really been in the mood for the Holidays the past several years, but we do them just to please people, but you know what, I am sick of pleasing people. We did our own Thanksgiving, just the two of us and it was nice.

I can't talk DH out of Christmas, but I don't think we will get the tree out. In the past we are gone so much anyway, it's kind of a lot of work for nothing.

Do what you need to do and worry about others later.

Hugs.

PAIF and SAIF Always Welcome!
    TTC since 2007
    6 IUIs, 3 IVFs, and 2 m/c :< PCOS, Blood Clotting Disorder & MFI
    IVF #2 Aug 2011 is a BFN:<
    IVF #3 March 2012 is a BFN
    Not sure what to do now. Sad and lost.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"