VBAC

Foley Bulb?

Has anyone had one done before? Is it painful? They want me to have an epi before I have it inserted. Any thoughts?
PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Foley Bulb?

• It's not that painful. Why would you need an epidural before inserting it? I've never heard that before. I had it in for probably 3-4 hours. It helped me dilate from 3cm to about 5cm. I was hoping it would send me into active labor, but it did not. It's definitely worth trying though. 
  • They tried it on me but I wasn't dilated enough for it so they went straight to pit. for me.  My MW tried to insert it twice.  It didn't feel great, but was surviveable.  I didn't get an epi until I was well into labor and about 7 cm dilated so I could nap before the pushing.  I have never heard of requiring an epi before a foley.  Getting the epi too early in labor often ends in c/s, so I'd avoid it if you have the choice.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a foley induction.  Foley fell out after about 6 hours.  I went from a fingertip to 5 cm in that time.  It definitely kick started some painful contractions, but I didn't get an epi until I was 6 cm.  I was offered and accepted some stadol not long before the foley fell out. They obviously can't check you before the bulb falls out and the hope is to get you to 3cm before it falls out. I knew I didn't want an early epi so it never even crossed my mind to get one before the foley fell out. 
  • I was induced with a foley, then pit.  They put in the foley in the evening, and it stayed in all night, then they tugged on it to come out the next morning (the worst part).  Did not require an epi in the least...can't imagine why anyone would recommend it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • I think I have a low pain tolerance because I thought it really hurt, along with the internal checks my dr was doing. It did its job though, and despite my doctor's doubts, I was ready to push after about 12 hours. Unfortunately I ended up with a cs anyway, but that's another story.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"