Multiples
Options

Any twin parents using cloth diapers

When we found out we're pregnant we were thinking about using them.  When we found out we're having twins I started re-thinking that since it would be tons more time and laundry.  A friend of mine had her baby in Aug, and she swears by them, but that's 1 baby.  I'm just curious if any twin parents have experience with cloth diapers, and/or success stories.  I know it would save a ton of $$.
Pregnancy Ticker image image image

Re: Any twin parents using cloth diapers

• Options

We use cloth. For the first week or two at home (when I was recovering from the csection) we used disposables. Then, for the next month or so we used prefolds and covers. Since then we have been using pockets and AIO.

I do a load of cloth diapers every night. It was really really easy until we introduced solids. 

imageimageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We do 50/50 cloth and disposables. If you are already spending time CD-ing 1baby, 2 isn't that much effort. The girls are in disposables at night and when we travel out of the house. Otherwise it's usually cloth at home. We do laundry every other day. It's so easy we don't even notice anymore. You'll be doing more laundry anyway with all of those clothes. We have cut down big time on diaper expenses overall this way. One box of Up&Up lasts us a couple weeks easy.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageJosiePosy:

We do 50/50 cloth and disposables. If you are already spending time CD-ing 1baby, 2 isn't that much effort. The girls are in disposables at night and when we travel out of the house. Otherwise it's usually cloth at home. We do laundry every other day. It's so easy we don't even notice anymore. You'll be doing more laundry anyway with all of those clothes. We have cut down big time on diaper expenses overall this way. One box of Up&Up lasts us a couple weeks easy.

This is pretty much what we do. We didn't start using cloth until the girls were big enough to fit in OS pockets (we do BG 3.0 and 4.0). It's not that much extra laundry, and it's definitely a huge cost savings! And we like that it's a little better for the environment, too. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageeveram01:

We use cloth. For the first week or two at home (when I was recovering from the csection) we used disposables. Then, for the next month or so we used prefolds and covers. Since then we have been using pockets and AIO.

I do a load of cloth diapers every night. It was really really easy until we introduced solids. 

How many do you have total? I am underprepared for twin cloth diapering.

OP: I plan to do so with the twins but will have 3 in diapers which is scaring me laundry wise.

"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• Options

Thanks for the info ladies.

We don't have any kids now.  These are our miracle/rainbow babies.

• Options
    We CD as well. I do a load every night or two (I have enough to go 2-3 days, so whatever I wash at night gets hung to dry in the morning and is ready for the next night). Its maybe 10 min/day. We might have to use disposables for daycare, but I love the cost savings and the better smell (I hate the smell of pee in disposables) and they're awfully cute :)...and the first two weeks we put out a huge can of disposable trash...poor landfills!
  • Options
    imageJosiePosy:

We do cloth during the day AND when we go out. We use disposables overnight (I tried using cloth but it was a hassle) and in instances like last weekend when we all had the flu.  I have figured out that we have invested around $700 financially for our CD's.  I have 14 Flip covers, 2 Econobum and 4 pockets.  It seemed like way more than I needed before solids..but now that my boys are 14 months old it is just the right amount to get us 2 days through (I wash every 1.5 days, but like havign a few extra so I dont' have to stress about getting that load done ASAP).  You can totally do it for less/more $$$, it's really about what your preference of diaper :) 

It was an adjustment at first, bc we started CDing at 2 months old, but we've gotten use to it :)  My husband FREQUENTLY says "man, I cant imagine howmuch we would have spend on disposables by now!" especially after a 1 or 2 days stretch of using them because he can see how quickly we use them!  HTH

God gave me a double portion for my inheritance with my little Mighty men :) 9/19/10 Baby A born at 1:47 am 6lbs 14oz, 20.5inches long. Baby B born at 3:20 am 6lbs 6oz, 19.5inches long. My double blessing!:)
  • Options
    We use a cloth diaper service. I LOVE it! It is so much cheaper than disposables. We put soiled diapers in a diaper pail that they provide and put it out on the porch once a week for pickup and they leave the new ones. The only thing I have to do is wash the diaper covers.
  • Options
    I'm planning to cd after seeing it work well for a friend with twins. So far I have 26 Kawaii diapers. I plan to use disposibles for the first few weeks though.
  • Options
    I also CD my twins, and am so glad we've done it. We use a combination of prefolds with hemp and wool for overnights, and AI2's during the day. I have enough that we wash every other day and we do CD full time. We have disposables for the occasions where we have a sitter who isn't comfortable with CD, or if we need to use a non-CD friendly diaper cream. It isn't a huge deal at all, our wash routine is built into their bedtime routine, and diapers are dry by morning.
    TTC#1 since Mar 2008. Serious MFI due to cancer. 3 cancelled IUI's, just about every test in the book. IVF#1 - BFP! Twin girls arrived 2/5/10 at 35w2d. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    i cd 100% and LOVE it! i cannot recommend it enough, especially for MoM's. i do laundry every other day (sometimes every day) but it's no big deal. i use cheap cd's - kawaii and sunbaby mostly, so it wasnt that expensive to start a stash. i have aprox 25-30 total.
    photo 41f1f21b-fd5b-40ab-bc31-76a13e270270_zpscf391ac9.jpg
    After 2 years, Injects, PCOS diagnosis and 2 IUI's, we were blessed with our beautiful twin girls!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Baby Girl #3!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

We cloth diaper but use disposables usually at night (only have 2 overnight diapers) and when grandma babysits for a weekend. 

It was a bit tough at first, but once we got into a routine it is really easy. It saves a ton of $ (as long as you don't go crazy buying a bunch of cute prints) and it's better for the environment, baby, etc.

You can do it!! 

Our Girls
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    AquinnahDori
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • Options
    imagenaflmj:
    imageeveram01:

How many do you have total? I am underprepared for twin cloth diapering.

OP: I plan to do so with the twins but will have 3 in diapers which is scaring me laundry wise.

I did diaper laundry every day for quite awhile when my 3 were all in diapers.  It was a lot of laundry, but it saved us a lot of cash!

• Options

I started when my boys were 5 months old. Now we do it most of the time. I'll use disposables when we're going out sometimes, and I usually offer disposables to sitters. Also, occasionally when I'm behind on laundry we'll use disposables. Other than that we use the CDs.

My main advice for people who are thinking about cloth diapering--whether one kid or two or more-- is to not make a huge investment in any one brand or style of diaper before you've had a chance to try them on your kid. There are TONS of different options when it comes to cloth diapering, and you don't know what you'll like until you're actually doing it. You also don't know what kinds of issues you'll be dealing with with your kids--their shape (chunky thighs? skinny thighs?), how much they tend to pee, etc. I recommend starting with a trial--I did the trial at Jillian's Drawers, which was great. I actually bought two trials, so I'd have enough to CD twins during the trial, and I emailed and asked them for different options in the second trial--I got to try a ton of different kinds of diapers that way.

• Options
    Thanks so much!  This information is making my decision a little easier.  Although...I'll have to see if DH is onboard lol. 
  • Options
    We have around 30 total between pockets & AIO, but we almost always send the BG to daycare since they seem to be the most user-friendly. Our stash is mainly BG and Kawaii.
    imageimageimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I am 100% planning on doing it.  I CDd both of my boys (and had two in diapers because of a very stubborn 3yo not wanting to PT :) It's definitely a lot less work than it sounds like, and I LOVE that I never ran out of diapers...provided I kept up with laundry.

It definitely will save a lot of money.  I'm getting prefolds for the newborn days, and a combination of BG, FB and Kawaii one-size pockets for when they get older.  I did get the Kawaii dipes already, because they were on sale, but the other ones I won't get until I'm closer.

It's honestly the most exciting part of planning for a baby for me.  Sad but true.  I do LOVE CDing though.

• Options
    We CD our twins. We used disposables until they lost their umbilical cords because our CDs came up too high but we have been in CDs since. We have a mix of pockets, AIOs, and fitteds with covers. We also have a dozen prefolds as a back up in case we run out. I think we have a total of 55 NB size CDs (I think that includes the prefolds which I have only used once) and we've been good doing laundry every other day with that. It's really not a big hassle for us and it's actually not any extra laundry. When we used the disposables we were getting leaks with almost every diaper change so we were doing clothes laundry every single day. With the CDs, we do diaper laundry every other day and clothes laundry every third day or so. We actually are doing less loads of laundry now (although it's more cycles since each load of CDs takes a couple of cycles between rinsing and washing). I would 100% recommend it.
    m/c 7/17/10
    Dx: MFI- 3% morph
    IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
    IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
    3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
    Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
    Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
    BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
    6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • Options
    imageJosiePosy:

Same here. It's super easy! 

Our IVF Miracles! Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    imagesocialmediamommy:

This is all such great info! I've been having the exact same thoughts as OP. We always thought CD would be a good idea but with the surprise of twins I was starting to change my mind.

We are going to have family (my dad and MIL) as primary babysitters, instead of daycare. How did you get them on board? Somehow I can't imagine my dad wanting to wash cloth diapers... haha

In terms of getting your babysitters to do it, I would recommend having diapers that are easy to use.  My mom was very against it, but now that she does it, she doesn't mind it.  She prefers the BumGenius with velcro.  She will pull the inserts out of the pockets, but poop diapers go in a wet bag and I take care of them when I get home, and she doesn't wash them.  

• Options
    We CD 100% as well and have been from the moment they came home from the hospital. We got several dozen preemie prefolds and prorap newborn covers that had a space to avoid the umbilical cord stump. I use those prefolds for burp cloths now that they have outgrown that size. I now use BG 4.0, AI2, GMD workhorse fitted with Thirsties Duo Covers, and at night Kissaluv fitted with a hemp doubler and wool cover...never had a leak yet and the boys are heavy wetters and are sleeping 6-7 hours at night. I have enough to wash every other day and like a PP poster, it's part of my nighttime routine to make bottles for night/next day and wash diapers so everything is ready to go for the next day. We are traveling to Florida for the holidays and plan on using CD's the whole time, but will bring some sposies just in case. Good luck with your pregnancy and you most definitely can do cloth diapers for twins! :) (sorry for formatting, using iPad)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"