Parenting
Options

Clicky: Are teachers underpaid?

2»

Re: Clicky: Are teachers underpaid?

• Options
    imageZenya:
    imagehappy_momma:

There are plenty of professional people out there who compensated similarly to a lot of teachers with enough money to live on but not enough to save much or ever really get ahead.  Not all career fields are big money makers and that's very often not tied to how important the job is.  And not everyone in the corporate world gets big raises or has opportunities to advance, either.   

This is how I feel.  Like Andrewsgal - isn't your DH a rocket scientist or something?  I don't see how you can compare the two.

Yes he is and when I was working I not only worked more hours then him with less time off but we both had masters degrees in our field and I have an extra specialized certificate in addition to it. Trust me I did not go into teaching for the money I love what I do but it was a hell of a lot of work for 21 k a year with crappy bennifits.
  • Options
    imageAndrewsgal:
    imageZenya:
    imagehappy_momma:

There are plenty of professional people out there who compensated similarly to a lot of teachers with enough money to live on but not enough to save much or ever really get ahead.  Not all career fields are big money makers and that's very often not tied to how important the job is.  And not everyone in the corporate world gets big raises or has opportunities to advance, either.   

This is how I feel.  Like Andrewsgal - isn't your DH a rocket scientist or something?  I don't see how you can compare the two.

Yes he is and when I was working I not only worked more hours then him with less time off but we both had masters degrees in our field and I have an extra specialized certificate in addition to it. Trust me I did not go into teaching for the money I love what I do but it was a hell of a lot of work for 21 k a year with crappy bennifits.

I agree most teachers don't go into the profession for the money.  I know I didn't.  However, I take offense to the fact that because I'm not a rocket scientist that I don't deserve to be paid fairly for my work.  I think that anyone that thinks that teachers do not work hard need to go spend a day in a classroom.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

PCOS and Hypothyroidism- Successful IUI's- May 2012 and October 2014.  Miscarriage @ 6w3d in December 2009.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    In some ways yes. I am a teacher, and because my husband and I are a dual income family. However, many of my friends that are teachers and are single either live at home or have a second job to make ends meet. We live in a higher cost of living area, and teachers (at least starting, new teachers) their income doesn't match up to the cost of living. Thus having two jobs (all year round) or still living at home. It is a frustrating situation.
    My daughter is my hero.
  • Options
    In my state, oh hell yes are teachers underpaid.  It's a damn shame how poorly they are paid here.  
    Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. -Tennessee Williams

You take my ovaries, I take your yarns.
  • Options

I teach in ny and do not feel underpaid.  I feel these things instead: I feel my groceries are too damn much.  I feel I earn a fair salary in today's economy.  I feel I am worth it.  (I work a lot.  There are many nights I am up scoring until 1 AM and then facing my first class of 22 (out of the 117 that pass through my doors a day) a few hours later at 7:42.  Some might consider me underpaid when my hours put in are looked at, but I still don't think I am (I guess that helps me stay positive:)

In some states are teachers underpaid? absolutely. they are keeping the same hours I do and not making a fair salary.

Patty Matt 4/7/05 and Sean 12/14/06 image
  • Options

I need to move. I have a masters degree, 8 years experience and I make about 35k. Decent, but nothing amazing. I also work close to 10 hours a day. 3 months off? That's a joke.

But I do love my job!

~Lisa~
    Mommy to Rachel 1.15.06 and Ashley 5.17.11
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    imagegoofyteacher:

I agree most teachers don't go into the profession for the money.  I know I didn't.  However, I take offense to the fact that because I'm not a rocket scientist that I don't deserve to be paid fairly for my work.  I think that anyone that thinks that teachers do not work hard need to go spend a day in a classroom.

We can't pay teachers the same as we pay rocket scientists.  It's just not practical or affordable in any way.  People who want to make rocket scientist salaries should... well go be rocket scientists.  

Who said teachers don't work hard?

I do think it's ludicrous that a teacher with many years experience is making like 25k.  Of course. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"