Babies: 6 - 9 Months

not a diaper rash?

P has his first rash. It started with just a patch of red skin and quickly spread.  I've used 3 different diaper creams (for 2-3 days each) over the past week and a half. It's all in his diaper area, but mostly above his penis- like where the diaper fastens in the front up to his bellybutton. Not much on his butt itself.  It has gotten better here and there, but overall is not going away.

I called the pedi to see if the duration of the rash warrants a visit. They said as long as there's no broken skin and no fever, not to come in.  They gave me a homemade rash recipe to try as well. However, after talking to the nurse, she seems to think it may not be the standard diaper rash.  She said it sounds like a yeast infection, or a fungal rash.

So I have 2 questions- 1) what is a "regular" diaper rash? Just irritation from moisture? Not a yeast, fungus, bacteria?

and 2) Has anyone dealth with this?  What worked?

I'm using lotrimin cream, per her recommendation. It's only been since last night so it's hard to tell if it's helping yet.

TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: not a diaper rash?

• I think that you are right about the difference between a regular diaper rash and a yeast or fungal rash. 

My LO had a yeast rash in her diaper area. She got an allergy rash when she had a reaction to oatmeal and it spread to her diaper area and then turned fungal. We were originally prescribed Nyastatin for it and it didn't clear up so they prescribed more thinking that it was just being stubborn. That still wasn't working so they prescribed "magic butt paste" not sure what is all in it but the pharmacist had to mix it. It cleared it up in just a couple of days after having tried to get rid of it for almost three weeks. Next time (hopefully there wont be one but if there is) we will be getting the magic butt paste first. 

• The only experience I have with this is when DS was on an antibiotic. Like me, his skin gets a bit more sensative when on an antibiotic. He started a rash above his penis and a bit on his bum. I put lots of desitin (zinc oxide only) on him with every change. I also let him air dry when I was changing him. The rash went away after a few days.

We are now dealing with dry skin on his thighs...(it never ends, lol)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DD1 use to get a rash where the velcro fastened on her hips.  It wasn't bad though and could be controlled with cream.  When she moved to pull ups it disappeared completely.  Maybe try a diffn't brand of diapers and moving up a size. Also, after baths let him air dry for a little bit before fastening a diaper.

I believe diaper rash is from moisture-not fungus.

• imageLuvMyBobs:

The only experience I have with this is when DS was on an antibiotic. Like me, his skin gets a bit more sensative when on an antibiotic. He started a rash above his penis and a bit on his bum. I put lots of desitin (zinc oxide only) on him with every change. I also let him air dry when I was changing him. The rash went away after a few days.

This is my experience with DD.  She normally doesn't ever have diaper rash, but she's on antibiotics and it's horrible.  I actually used some monistat on her last night and it's almost gone this morning.  I tried everything else - desitin, boudruaux's organic butt paste, corn startch powder, liquid baby poweder, witch hazel, naked time, and nothing worked. 

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekcarbonell:

DD1 use to get a rash where the velcro fastened on her hips.  It wasn't bad though and could be controlled with cream.  When she moved to pull ups it disappeared completely.  Maybe try a diffn't brand of diapers and moving up a size. Also, after baths let him air dry for a little bit before fastening a diaper.

I believe diaper rash is from moisture-not fungus.

oddly enough, it happened when we moved to size 4s.  Same brand, but I thought maybe it was the cuase, so we went back to 3's. We went through an entire pack of the 3's and it didn't clear, so I'm guessing it's unrelated.

After just a few changes it seems the lotrimin anti fungal cream is helping a bit, so hopefully we're through the worst of it!!

• imageSharon21:

I think that you are right about the difference between a regular diaper rash and a yeast or fungal rash. 

My LO had a yeast rash in her diaper area. She got an allergy rash when she had a reaction to oatmeal and it spread to her diaper area and then turned fungal. We were originally prescribed Nyastatin for it and it didn't clear up so they prescribed more thinking that it was just being stubborn. That still wasn't working so they prescribed "magic butt paste" not sure what is all in it but the pharmacist had to mix it. It cleared it up in just a couple of days after having tried to get rid of it for almost three weeks. Next time (hopefully there wont be one but if there is) we will be getting the magic butt paste first. 

Not sure if it's the same, but the nurse called the recipe she gave me "magic."  it's a mix of regular desitin, neosporin and malox.  She said it works faster and better than any cream on the market.

• We just cleared up a rash with coconut oil. It took 2 days to notiuce a huge difference, 3 days and it's 95% gone.

• imageBeetleLinz1125:
    imageLuvMyBobs:

The only experience I have with this is when DS was on an antibiotic. Like me, his skin gets a bit more sensative when on an antibiotic. He started a rash above his penis and a bit on his bum. I put lots of desitin (zinc oxide only) on him with every change. I also let him air dry when I was changing him. The rash went away after a few days.

This is my experience with DD.  She normally doesn't ever have diaper rash, but she's on antibiotics and it's horrible.  I actually used some monistat on her last night and it's almost gone this morning.  I tried everything else - desitin, boudruaux's organic butt paste, corn startch powder, liquid baby poweder, witch hazel, naked time, and nothing worked. 

If you suspect your DD could have a yeast rash don't use corn starch, it will make the rash worse.

DD gets yeast rashes whenever she's teething, it's a PITA. I use Monitstat (the Dr gave us Lamisil, we found it didn't work) twice a day, tons of naked bum time. Not just at each diaper change, I put a waterproof pad on the floor and let DD roam around naked for a half hour or longer, and use a diaper cream with zinc oxide slathered at each change. Within a day or two it's much better.

We've also found that using a hair dryer on low to dry her bum at each change helps cut down on moisture and helps prevent rashes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

• Was your son on an antibiotic recently? If so than its probably not a diaper rash but a yeast rash. Lotrimen worked for us, also a 10 min. baking soda bath 2x per day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLynsiBHM:
    imageSharon21:

I think that you are right about the difference between a regular diaper rash and a yeast or fungal rash. 

Not sure if it's the same, but the nurse called the recipe she gave me "magic."  it's a mix of regular desitin, neosporin and malox.  She said it works faster and better than any cream on the market.

It might be the same, I am not sure. I literally laughed out loud when the Rx said "magic butt paste". The pedi had called it that but I figured there was some long medical name for it and that is just what they called it for short. Nope it actually said it on the prescription. 

• Could be eczema as well.  That's what we're dealing with.  So far we've tried Eucerine, Burt's Bees Lotion, and Aquaphor.  We've had the best success with the Burt's Bees and Aquaphor.
  • imagehispenguin:
    imageBeetleLinz1125:
    imageLuvMyBobs:

If you suspect your DD could have a yeast rash don't use corn starch, it will make the rash worse.

Yeah as soon as I found out that it fuels yeast growth I stopped using it, which is why I tried the witch hazel.  Hopefully it will get better soon, she's supposed to be done with her antibiotics tomorrow.

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Aquaphor also feeds yeast.  Coconut oil and tea tree oil kill it.  Also, you can google images of these rashes to help figure one from the other. 

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • imagebelladonna11307:
    Could be eczema as well.  That's what we're dealing with.  So far we've tried Eucerine, Burt's Bees Lotion, and Aquaphor.  We've had the best success with the Burt's Bees and Aquaphor.

I was told that eczema usually doesn't occur in the diaper area. That is what they thought was going on with my LO at first when she got a rash but when it spread to the diaper area they figured out she was allergic to oatmeal because if it had just been eczema it wouldn't have spread there.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"