High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Gd and effects on baby

ok so i am very bad at remembering to take my bs lvls i always take my insulin but just have a hard time testing it after these past few weeks....im scared of what it may have effect on baby....i asked my husband to pick up my insulin from pharmacy since i ran out last night and he didint get it.... he went but they didnt give hime the 2nd pkge.....so i have test strips and zolft but no insulin and no needles.....i need to get back on track....do u think my baby will be ok? if i get back on tract with testing......i hate myself right now 

BabyFetus TickerBabyFruit TickerBabyName Ticker

Re: Gd and effects on baby

• Options

First off, don't hate yourself! I do the same thing with testing! Some days I just don't test at all!

With having high blood sugar...as long as you're far enough along to feel your baby and your little one is moving you should be fine!

I say that because one high blood sugar isn't the end of the world.

High blood sugar can cause a larger baby, but if it happens every once in a while, it's not that bad. My endo and my high risk OBGYN both told me that. No one is perfect and your baby's pancreas will make insulin for them regardless of what your blood sugar is...

However, I'd express to the pharmacy that I was pissed off over it not giving all the prescribed medication to your DH and that it could have had life threatening results for you and your child! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Don't beat yourself up over it - GD can be difficult to manage! If you need help remembering to test, set a timer to go off at your testing time. That's the only way I could remember this time around.

As for the high numbers - your numbers would have to be high for a significant amount of time to cause serious harm to your baby. One high one here and there, even a few high numbers over a few days, is okay. Just keep working to stay on track - follow your diet, take your insulin, and make sure you report patterns of high numbers so your insulin can be adjusted as needed.

If the pharmacy is messing up your prescription, you need to make a complaint to a manager. They need to know mistakes are being made so they can be corrected and avoided in the future. If it happens more than once, I'd find a more reliable pharmacy. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Most likely your baby will be fine. Most women don't even take the GTT until much later in pregnancy. My MFM said the most crucial thing was the the numbers be under control when baby is born. You have time to get it managed.

That being said, you need to get in the habit of taking your BS levels. It takes a while to form a habit, so be patient with yourself. When I first started, I set the clock on my phone for when I had to test. That way I couldn't forget. I would do something similar or try to eat at the same time everyday so you're testing at the same time. That helps for me too.

I wouldn't be so quick to complain to the pharmacy depending on how much time they were given to fill it. Pharmacies don't always have everything on hand and sometimes can't get it until the next day. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"