Natural Birth

Am I overreacting?

OK, so I have a doula, we used her for the birth of DS and I booked her again for this baby. With this pregnancy I've texted her a few times with questions and I've met with her once to go over a few things. Two weeks ago at my u/s, the baby was breech and I completely lost it. I am so terrified of having a c-section and just felt really scared. I called her and was a blubbering idiot for 20 minutes on the phone, and she basically told me it's too early to worry about it. I talked with her about a lot of personal, emotional stuff I've got going on in my head.

Anyway, since then I've been to an acupuncturist and a chiropractor and have been reading everything on spinningbabies.com, etc. I know it was thanksgiving last week, but I'm kind of bummed that I haven't heard anything from her, not a text or email or anything to check in. She knew I was going to make appointments with all these people and that I was really scared. I'm embarrassed after completely freaking out, but also feel a little hurt that she hasn't contacted me. For those of you who are doulas or who use doulas, what do you think of this situation? Was I out of line to have called her crying? What should I expect of her if baby stays breech in the next few weeks? I guess I'm not really sure what role the doula should play when things get complicated. I had been feeling like I could call her for any kind of support, but now I'm not so sure. Thanks for any advice. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Am I overreacting?

• I think you should call her and give her an update. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Only you know what your relationship is with your doula.  

From my POV, I totally think you are overreacting.  As she told you- it is WAY early to be freaking out like this...even now at 31 weeks you seem to be taking things to the extreme with all the treatments.  She might just think you had a one time freak out moment and have moved on.

Also, and forgive me since I have never had a doula and just might not know, I am not sure if it is really her job to help you with issues such as these so early in the game- shouldn't you be talking to your care provider about this?   Yes, I can see your doula helping you just before labor and during labor with positioning, but at 28-31 weeks?  

If it were me, I would just give her an update and let it lie....also I would address your care provider with these concerns.  

Best wishes.  

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Loading the player...
  • My MW doesn't even check to see if baby is breech until like 36+ weeks, they can flip up until labor starts even so I wouldn't stress too much. Like PP, from what you've said it sounds like your overreacting a little, but I understand we all tend to with the hormones lol. And everyone has that one thing that freaks them out during pregnancy.

I would just call her and talk to her though. Maybe she can ease your mind a little bit more about your baby being breech right now.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the input. I know I'm overly stressed about this but the baby has been in this position for most of the pregnancy. The chiro and acupuncturist I've met with think that it's much better to start now than to wait until she has less room to turn. So I'm trying to make peace with whatever the outcome may be, and it's hard because I really wanted another natural, easy birth. I had originally thought the doula's role was for support throughout the entire pregnancy, not just labor  or the very end. But you guys are right, I should clarify this with her. Definitely don't want to embarrass myself with more emotional phone calls! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't really have any advice on the doula things, but one suggestion my doula has mentioned before on getting the baby to flip is...walk down the the stairs on your hands and knees (forward), like a dog would. She said it has worked for a few of her clients. Good luck!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"