Working Moms
Options

Help figuring out daycare location

I'm trying to figure out the "right" location for our daycare (for next summer, toddler + baby).

I'm not looking for insight as to near work v. home necessarily. We don't have a ton of options near our home and are already on the waitlist at one place close to home.

So now I'm looking at other daycares near our offices. DH and I have demanding jobs and have to share DO and PU duties so we need to find something somewhat convenient to us both. That said, we don't work near each other (we are about 15 minutes apart from each other).

How on earth do we do this? Just look at a map and pick locations that seem to make sense? That is what we have been doing thus far and everything we find in the middle of our offices requires us each going a bit (1-2 miles) out of our normal commutes. Is this the best we are going to get? Anything I am not thinking of? What have others done in these situations?  We're basically looking at places that are "sort of" near both of us, but not totally on the way and I'm worried we aren't thinking this through all the way.

Anyone else deal with this? What did you do? Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Help figuring out daycare location

• Options
    imageBecky19:

That said, we don't work near each other (we are about 15 minutes apart from each other).

Ha!  My H and I haven't worked closer than 60 minutes to each other in over 10 years.  I would kill to be only 15 minutes away.

I'm confused about what you're asking.  A place close to home would be the ideal option (we did that for awhile and loved it), but you said that it wasn't really an option.  With only 15 minutes/1-2 miles difference between you and your husband, I'd just start researching all of the daycares in that general vicinity and choose the one that is the best fit for you; I mean, geographically I don't get what your issue is. 15 minutes doesn't seem like a make-or-break thing in my mind.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't think that 15 minutes/1-2 miles is a big deal. My dcp is about 2 miles "out of the way" in my commute and it is not an issue. Depending on what site DH is working at, we are anywhere from 30 minutes to 2.5 hours away from each other.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ditto what the other posters have said.  Look for places first near any route you both take.  Then branch out from there.  Sure, one of you may end up with it a little easier but from the sounds of it, it won't be more than 15 minutes of the way, which really isn't much at all.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    imageMaybride2:
    imageBecky19:

That said, we don't work near each other (we are about 15 minutes apart from each other).

Ha!  My H and I haven't worked closer than 60 minutes to each other in over 10 years.  I would kill to be only 15 minutes away.

I'm confused about what you're asking.  A place close to home would be the ideal option (we did that for awhile and loved it), but you said that it wasn't really an option.  With only 15 minutes/1-2 miles difference between you and your husband, I'd just start researching all of the daycares in that general vicinity and choose the one that is the best fit for you; I mean, geographically I don't get what your issue is. 15 minutes doesn't seem like a make-or-break thing in my mind.

Yeah I guess we're spoiled because this year we are doing a nanny share that is right on the way to work for both of us and super close to home. I guess I am just wondering what our options are - but I think I answer that myself - find something as close as possible to both of us. A couple miles out of the way isn't that big of a deal, I guess. I forgot to mention we are in an area with lots of traffic, so I guess the extra few miles could make a big difference in our commutes.

Near home is an option. I just said there aren't a ton of options near our home and we are already on the waitlist by one place near us. I need other options in case that one doesn't work out.

Geographically the issue is there is no daycare place that can take both kids and that is on the way to work for both of us.

• Options

Uhum - In your situation I'd count myself lucky! I commute 50 miles north and he is all over the state...mostly south - so we usually are at least 80 miles away from each other and opted close to home for that reason...

So 1-2 miles even in heavy traffic seems like a small price to pay for me - if it means I'm not the sole pick-er-upper and drop-er-offer...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Like Maybride, I'd love to work only 15 minutes from DH. Going a mile or two out of your way is nothing compared to the commutes that many people have. I kind of think you are worrying about a non-issue. My H used to drive an hour to drop off the kids, then 20 minutes (back towards home) to work, then have to go 20 minutes the opposite way of home to get kids, and then the one-hour drive drive home could take up to 2, sometimes 2 1/2 hours in evening rush. I think you should count your lucky stars, actually.

• Options
    Thanks all! Your responses are very helpful and I am starting to realize that I am worrying about a non-issue Smile I realize it could be a lot worse and am starting to feel quite grateful actually! Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"