Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

WWYD - bday party 2 hours away

MH and I have his cousin's 30th bday party 12/10. It is from 7pm-11pm 2 hours away. Both MH and I agree to not take our DD (she'll be 5 months then) to the party because it would be too difficult 1) the drive and 2) it will interupt her bedtime routine. We told my ILs this and they are mad that we are not taking DD to the party but having my parents watch her instead. They see her at least twice a month so it's not like we deprive them of her.

WWYD? Would you take your child with you? We also kinda want to enjoy some time together as we haven't been out together with out her.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker M/C June 2010 at 9weeks 3days

Re: WWYD - bday party 2 hours away

• Options
    I totally understand your ILs wanting to see their granddaughter, but they should understand your reasons for not taking her.  If I were you, I would not take her either.  I would even have to think about taking an older child since the party is so late!  Since she's used to going to bed during this time, she would probably be sleepy and cranky and keep you (and other party guests) from having a good time, not to mention the fact that a room full of adults would be hard on the baby.  Every parent needs some time away from baby.  Take this opportunity to spend time with your spouse and ask your ILs to respect your decision to do so!
  • Options

imagekgirl04:
    I totally understand your ILs wanting to see their granddaughter, but they should understand your reasons for not taking her.  If I were you, I would not take her either.  I would even have to think about taking an older child since the party is so late!  Since she's used to going to bed during this time, she would probably be sleepy and cranky and keep you (and other party guests) from having a good time, not to mention the fact that a room full of adults would be hard on the baby.  Every parent needs some time away from baby.  Take this opportunity to spend time with your spouse and ask your ILs to respect your decision to do so!

*nods in agreement*

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't want to take DS in that situation either, but DH would, and he would probably win ;) If you have both agreed on it though, then its your baby, your choice!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I wouldn't take her. You and your H need your time alone too. The in laws can see her when it is more convenient for your LO and yourself.
  • Options

Nope. I would leave her home. As long as you're okay with it go for it. Everyone needs kid free time. It also doesn't sound like much of a place for a baby.

If you had said, "OMG, I can't go to this party because my kid has bedtime then and no one but me could do it right" then I'd have a different opinion. Stick out tongue

• Options

Honestly?  I wouldn't take DS but I also wouldn't go.  Too far away at too young of an age...

But I do know I'm in the minority...

TTCAL Siggy Challenge: "He's my favorite.  His birthday is the same as mine almost"

image image

Missing my little one lost at 9 weeks on 2.24.13. brokenhearted but not broken... 

d&c 5/21/13... Still Healing, Still Standing... 

MMC discovered 10/2/2013, TWINS... d&c 10/7/2013.  I still miss you, little ones. 

Surgery December 2013 to remove a 10+cm fibroid... Open myomectomy. Benched for 3-9 months... 
    Will TTC summer Summer 2014 we hope!

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me? 

PgAL and PAL always welcome...
  • Options
    kind of selfish of them only to think of themselves and what they want.. (your ILs i mean..).. my boyfriend's mother does not care if she is ruining/interrupting a routine by inviting herself over or bothering us to come over to her place (2 hours away) which i don't understand.  they're not the ones that have to deal with cranky, sleep deprived babies.  plus, you deserve to have some fun and celebrate a family birthday.  the baby will be in great care while you are gone =D go have a good time
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I totally agree with you because of the fact that the party is in the evening.  If it was during the day, I would say bring her.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I guess I'm in the minority too because we passed up a birthday party 2hrs away a month ago. It was my DH's best friend's wife (DD's godmother's). I felt badly, but it would have been difficult to leave DD behind when she fights with the bottle and nurses to fall asleep. It would have driven the in-laws nuts. Plus, I think she has a later bedtime than they do. I'm sure we'll get babysitters in a few months, but for now evenings are too tough (prime cranky time). We could have brought her, but who wants to hear a screaming baby while sipping martinis? 

photo photosig3_zps92919c91.jpg Just said good bye Sept. 19th (MMC at 12 weeks)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"