Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Preschoolers and Performance Anxiety?

I'm not sure what else to call it.  DS#1's teacher has commented that he doesn't like to dance with his class.  They play music at the end of every class day, they have periodic music classes and monthly church services where they sing songs with hand gestures, etc.  DS#1 rarely moves at all.  When I ask him why he says he's afraid people will laugh at him.

We had the same issue during soccer last year.  He would barely participate and walked when the rest of the kids were running.  He said he was afraid of doing things wrong.  We explained that is what lessons are for - to learn new things and get a chance to practice them. It didn't seem to help.

Have any of you experienced this with your preschooler?  Any ideas on how to help him overcome this?  I would just chalk it up to being shy but now his twin has stopped dancing as well, I suppose out of solidarity.

TIA.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

Re: Preschoolers and Performance Anxiety?

• Options

are you sure nobody's teasing him?  Will he dance/run in front of you, DH, grandparents, etc.

DD is generally a ham, but she gets stage fright occassionally.  I know the preschool gives the kids lots of chances to be "teacher" and lead the class so they can work on their performance anxiety. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageKathrynMD:

are you sure nobody's teasing him?  Will he dance/run in front of you, DH, grandparents, etc.

DD is generally a ham, but she gets stage fright occassionally.  I know the preschool gives the kids lots of chances to be "teacher" and lead the class so they can work on their performance anxiety. 

He dances in front of us all the time!  All three boys were having a dance party Friday night and we regularly dance in the car on the way to school (in their car seats, of course).  They also have a student of the day kind of thing and that child gets to pick the song played at the end of class, lead the prayer, pass out snack, etc.  He seems to be fine with all those things.

I thought about the teasing as well but he says that's not it and the teacher isn't aware of anything like that.  I really am stumped.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

DS has always been like this.  We'd go to Gymboree and he wouldn't participate, but then he'd come home and act out the entire thing for us.  At school, he won't sing, but he will come home and sing the entire song with hand motions for us.  Heck, he'll act out his entire school day and pretend to be the teacher.  

Does your DS seem like he knows the dances/songs?  Perhaps he has trouble remembering them and doesn't want to get it wrong?  Will he do it for you at home? 

• Options
    Not to this extreme, but my middle son will not perform infront of crowds. But he will stand there the entire time (such as for his preschool singing concerts). He is extremely shy. He does not appear to be this way for class or sports. But when he started prechool for speech issues he would only whisper. He never told us why, but it appears to be in correlation with anxiety of his speech issues ; ( Thismyear he is talking a little more but his speech is better too. maybe something set him off so he thinks he is not doing it right?
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Options

When DS was in preschool he was the same way.  He wouldn't perform in any of the class shows.  He'd said he didn't like everyone staring at him.  Can't say I blame him!  So, we didn't force him.  He'd sit on my lap & we'd watch his classmates perform.   At the same time we had him in baseball & soccer programs & he wouldn't fully participate in them either, but at home all he'd want to do was kick around the soccer ball & toss the baseball. 

As he got older he got more comfortable about it. With each performance he participated a little bit more and this year he was the star in his kindergarten Thanksgiving play! :-)

• Options
    imagedpdw:

When DS was in preschool he was the same way.  He wouldn't perform in any of the class shows.  He'd said he didn't like everyone staring at him.  Can't say I blame him!  So, we didn't force him.  He'd sit on my lap & we'd watch his classmates perform.   At the same time we had him in baseball & soccer programs & he wouldn't fully participate in them either, but at home all he'd want to do was kick around the soccer ball & toss the baseball. 

As he got older he got more comfortable about it. With each performance he participated a little bit more and this year he was the star in his kindergarten Thanksgiving play! :-)

Thanks for this!  I am hopeful our outcome is the same.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"