Eco-Friendly Family

How do you keurig?

Something on MM made me think of this yesterday. . . [Poll]
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How do you keurig?

• We've been using k-cups as an alternative to going out to Starbucks, but I've been feeling bag about how wasteful it is and have tried to focus on using tea bags we had up in the cabinet with the water instead. Those are almost out now and I'm trying to figure out the best long -term solution (to be EF and budget-wise). Also- I only have 1 cup of tea a day, max.  

What do you guys do? 

• I don't have a keurig, but I tend to avoid anything that is single serve because it costs more and creates more waste. 

For tea I harvest some of my own by dehydrating the mint in my garden each year.  I also buy a lot of loose leaf tea in bulk.  If I use tea bags I compost the bags.

And I also make sure all tea is fair-trade.

• Loading the player...
  • We have the my-k-cup, but I still use the disposable cups.  I make my 1 cup of coffee when I'm barely awake, and it requires too much fine motor work to use the my-k-cup.  I also can't really stand to wash the sucker.  I'm pretty lazy like that though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesusangilchrist:
    We have the my-k-cup, but I still use the disposable cups.  I make my 1 cup of coffee when I'm barely awake, and it requires too much fine motor work to use the my-k-cup.  I also can't really stand to wash the sucker.  I'm pretty lazy like that though.

I'm glad you responded with this. I was wondering if the grains from the tea would get stuck into the metal and be a pain to wash. It seems like at the very least I'd need two different my-cups so that we could devote one to tea and one to coffee so they wouldn't taste funny. (?)

• image+adamwife+:

I don't have a keurig, but I tend to avoid anything that is single serve because it costs more and creates more waste. 

For tea I harvest some of my own by dehydrating the mint in my garden each year.  I also buy a lot of loose leaf tea in bulk.  If I use tea bags I compost the bags.

And I also make sure all tea is fair-trade.

All of this. Besides dehydrating mint because I am not that cool Stick out tongue

I drink a lot of coffee, though. I use a French press. No filters, no disposable cups and it ends up tasting a lot better because the press leaves a lot of the natural oils in from the beans. Mmm. I only buy fair trade coffee.

But I do occasionally go to Starbucks. 

• imageMummyGruetzie:

imagesusangilchrist:
    We have the my-k-cup, but I still use the disposable cups.  I make my 1 cup of coffee when I'm barely awake, and it requires too much fine motor work to use the my-k-cup.  I also can't really stand to wash the sucker.  I'm pretty lazy like that though.

I'm glad you responded with this. I was wondering if the grains from the tea would get stuck into the metal and be a pain to wash. It seems like at the very least I'd need two different my-cups so that we could devote one to tea and one to coffee so they wouldn't taste funny. (?)

I'm a lurker, but wanted to jump in on this.  I wouldn't use loose leaf tea in the actual machine.  Put the tea leaves in whatever diffuser you normally use and just run a hot water cycle for your mug.  You want your tea to steep for a few minutes, and just passing the water through the my-k-cup won't do that.  Plus, it will get gunked up.  

I also have to run a few water only cycles after using the my k cup with my own ground coffee to get all the stray grounds out.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary

TTC since 2008
    Dh:34, no issues.  Me:31, Endo, slightly hypothyroid, deformed ovary, paracentric inversion.
    4 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone +TI cycles= all BFN
    Lap in 2012 to remove large unresolving cyst discovered endo and double lobed ovary.
     6 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone IUI cycles= All BFN,
    1st IVF w/ICSI- June '13 Antagonist: Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelix, HcG, Estradiol, Crinone= 7 retrieved, 4 mature, 1 unfertilized, 2 abnormally fertilized, 1 normally fertilized.  2DT of only embryo and our miracle BFP.
    Our beloved baby boy was born sleeping Oct. 13, 2013 due to pROM/IC/Uterine infection.
    2nd IVF w/ICSI- Feb. '14 EPP/lupron/antagonist: Estrace, lupron, HGH, Gonal-F, Menopur, HcG, PIO, lovenox, doxy/dex.=21 retrieved, 16 mature, 15 fertilized!!  5dt of 1 blast/ 6 frozen. BFP!  Beta 1 9dp5dt:83.9  Beta 2: 11dp5dt: 145.2  Beta 3  14dp5dt: 497  Please be our sticky rainbow baby!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageimage
  • I use a french press and loose leaf tea in a ball strainer.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickers
  • We use a french press, and it definitely produces a better tasting coffee then anything I've had that comes out of a machine at home.   
  • we use the disposable k cups but we cut them open afterwards and compost the coffee grinds
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"