Special Needs
Options

Transitioning out of EI

This is my first post on this board.  I normally post over on the 24 months + and the Loss board, but I had a few questions and I thought this might be the place to ask. 

My little guy was born at 33 weeks in June of 2009.   He had a rough start, and had oral sensory issues from the beginning.  He was released from the nicu after spending 5 weeks.  I thought we were in the clear, but at his 9 month check-up, his pedi recommended we start EI to get him caught up.   He's been working with an OT and Speech therapist since 12 months.  It's been phenomenal, and has made a world of difference. 

Here's my question.  He's been seeing the same therapists every week for about a year and half.  He turns 3 in June, and will transition out of EI.  We're going to have consulation in December with not only his First Steps cordinator but also the preschool that he may qualify for.   For those of you that have preschool kids, how did your lo handle the change?   Was it pretty seamless or was there a gap between EI and preschool.

Any comments would be appreciated! :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Transitioning out of EI

• Options
    I can say that our transition was pretty seemless- but he was already attending a classroom based EI program and full-time daycare. So basically he was just being shuttled to a new place. This fall I think the transition was harder (he doesn't qualify for ESY so was just at daycare all summer)- but it was better after a couple weeks. My kid really thrives on routine and structure so I actually saw improvements once he got into the groove of his new preschool class this fall. When he's left to unstructured play too much he gets bored and ornery. Hopefully your LO will surprise you and take it all in stride!
  • Options

My oldest son was in EI for speech issues for about 2 yrs. His last day in EI was a Friday and the following Monday or Tuesday was his first day of speech with our school system (February).  He did not go to preschool until the following Fall, but still got services through our town & that started right when he turned 3.

As for my middle son he did not have any services prior to turning 3. I had him evaluated in February & March (he turned 3 at the end of December) & he started preschool (recommended by the town) in the beginning of April.

Both kids did really well with the transitions too. 

Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS was having EI for speech since he was 2.  He just transition into 2x (2.5 hours) a week school speech. His first class was yesterday - we skipped 2 weeks to start him after Thanksgiving.  He got to meet his teacher and see his classroom, before he started.  He wasn't thrilled about starting a different school - but it seemed to go okay.  I pretty sure it will get better as it gets in to our routine.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

It ended up working out just fine. We had several meetings with EI and the School District. I had a hard time when DS started preschool because he had always been home with me. I was sad, but he adjusted. I LOVE his preschool teachers. They really were wonderful. DS went 4 days a week. I wish he could still go this year but he missed the age cut off by a few weeks. ( He is 5) I am paying for private PreK this year.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Thanks gals! 

I'm probably worrying over nothing.  Ds has been in daycare since he was 3 months old (actual, not adjusted).  His social skills are fine.  It's just I'm nervous that he'll take steps back once he's in a brand new environment with new teachers.  

We'll just wait and see what happens.  I'll update after our meeting on December 7th.   I was told that he would probably qualify for 1-4 days a week of preschool. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"