North Carolina Babies

Giving juice to an infant?

Not sure about this but Cam has been constipated for the better part of 2 months (poor kid can't catch a break) and now that he will be 6m on Thursday the doctor has suggested giving him 2oz pear juice mixed with water. The catch is how do I give it to him? I really don't want to put it in a bottle, and his drinking ability from a sippy isn't very good. Jocelyn didn't get juice until around 18m so she could have a juice box or a sippy of it. Suggestions?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Giving juice to an infant?

• Maybe try a straw sippy?  E was a pro at the straw sippys first - she loved to try to drink out a regular straw. 

Another crazy idea is using a medicine dropper.  I had to give E water through a dropper when she was refusing to drink when she had an ear infection.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I thought about the dropper, because he takes medicine from that every day for reflux so he is good at drinking from it. I may try the straw sippy today and see how it goes, all though I don't have one with handles. UGG. I was just at Target too.
  • Loading the player...
  • I used to have to give it to Maddie b/c she had MAJOR constipation issues for a few months when I switched from BM to formula around 6 months. I just gave it to her in a bottle. I don't know if you've started solids yet, but those Gerber pureed prunes worked wonders for her too. Also, even though Mads occasionally had juice/water in a bottle when she was little, she still only gets juice as a treat and mainly drinks water. So she didn't get hooked on it or anything :).
  • Used to have to do this for my kids.  We used the medicine syringe.  I would tuck it next to the cheek as far back as I could and it wasn't an issue at all!
    image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***Baby #3: BFP Mother

• I had to do this once for D3 when he was little, I just put it in a bottle. Never had any issues with it and he's not a juice drinker now. Juice is a major treat for him.
  • Nate has had major constipation during this transition to solids.  Our pedi here has said prune juice is faster acting than pear and he says not to dilute it with water--the water makes it less effective at relieving the constipation since they drink so little of it anyway.

But I can not get Nate to drink it AT ALL--not in a bottle, sippy, dropper, etc.  So I got creative this weekend and used it as the liquid to mix his oatmeal cereal (instead of water or BM/formula) in the morning.  He took it and by the afternoon we had lots of poop! :)  Good luck! 

Kim

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageflamencogal:

Nate has had major constipation during this transition to solids.  Our pedi here has said prune juice is faster acting than pear and he says not to dilute it with water--the water makes it less effective at relieving the constipation since they drink so little of it anyway.

But I can not get Nate to drink it AT ALL--not in a bottle, sippy, dropper, etc.  So I got creative this weekend and used it as the liquid to mix his oatmeal cereal (instead of water or BM/formula) in the morning.  He took it and by the afternoon we had lots of poop! :)  Good luck! 

Oh I completely forgot that I did that too! In fact, I always made her oatmeal with apple juice instead of water to keep her regular. And she would never tolerate the rice cereal, that made the constipation worse.

• Maybe I will try this tomorrow, all thought his medicine for his ears is making his poop runny, so maybe I will hold off until he has taken all of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"