Food Allergy
Options

Cannot figure her out!

Hi folks! I've been lurking for a while on your board. DD is 3 months old and I have been on strict TED since she was 3 weeks old.  While her crying and reflux are pretty much gone, she still has tons of mucus in her diapers, fusses and cries while nursing, and frantically rubs her eyes and nose while nursing in addition to getting little red dots around them.  Dr. says that is definitely a histamine reaction and we should go ahead and try formula at this point because he doesnt think I should take anything else out of my diet. I bought a can of alimentum yesterday but haven't tried it yet. I'm on a last ditch effort to save BFing.  I have been eating rice, quinoa, chicken, gluten free oatmeal (recent addition and no change in her behavior),  bananas, pears, avocados, squash, and hemp milk.  I've rotated every single one of those things out for 2-3 days each and seen no change.  I'm going to drop all of the fruits and veggies for a couple of days, and switch from chicken to venison, and if that doesn't get rid of her symptoms then I think that's it for us. I'm getting so depressed about her being in pain while eating but I want to BF her so badly. We are getting a CBC done today to check for eosinophils that would confirm an actual allergy.  Doesn't really matter what the results show though, if she still has the symptoms.

This sucks.  How many people can just BF so easily, and eat anything, or don't even try to BF...and then people who would do ANYTHING to BF, can't make it work.  :(

I just left a message asking her pedi about allergy testing since I only eat a few things...we'll see what he says. I know it's unreliable at this age though. 

Anybody have any other tips for us? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cannot figure her out!

• Options
    yikes! IDK what it could be? I have OAS to bananas and i have heard that rice can be an allergen as well. Also hemp milk is made from seeds and that made Jacobs eczema worse, since he is sensitive to seeds. Sometimes it takes quite a few days for the stuff to get out of their system, but if you have been doing this for like 9 weeks, then it should be all gone by now. IDK about testing at that age either, but it cant hurt to try! GL to you :(

Jacob Alexander 7/23/09
    Allergic to Dairy, Eggs and Peanuts Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Jameson Adam 6/1/11
    Allergic to Peas...so far Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

there are some allergists that will test her at 3 months (not many though).  You can try finding a pedi allergist and see what she suggests.

I would maybe try getting rid of rice for a bit but you might end up disappearing.

start a journal (but it sounds like you know exactly what you're eating).  Is she reacting certain days more than others?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I am going through the same thing right now so I can definately sympathize.  I am only eating bananas, turkey or chicken, and plain steamed potatoes and carrots.  Things still don't seem better.  I was given a prescription for Creon (a digestive enzyme) that is supposed to break down what I eat even further hopefully making my breastmilk more digestible for DD... but it doesn't seem to be doing much.  It's been 4 days so I need to give it a bit of time but our doctor seemed to think I should be able to eat normally again at 3 days with the Creon.

I have an appointment with the Gastroenterologist tomorrow and am beyond nervous that the only suggestion will be to start on formula.  DD won't take a bottle and I am scared that we will have to go through multiple different formulas until we get one that works.  I also hate the idea of not being able to console her with comfort nursing.  I know I have to do what is best for her... it is just so frustrating to be trying everything and cutting so much out of my diet only to have nothing work.  I think it is such a hard decision to give up BF to formula when you've been trying so hard for so long!

I hope things get better for you soon. I know how difficult and frustrating it is!

Follow Me on Pinterest Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Every day is the same now :( she used to have up and down days. Now the up days are just because she was tired and slept through the feedings.  Ugh. I'm so hungry but can barely choke down the food bc I'm so sick of eating the same things and her still not better. This is nuts. These poor sensitive babies :(
  • Options

imagelivalil319:
    Every day is the same now :( she used to have up and down days. Now the up days are just because she was tired and slept through the feedings.  Ugh. I'm so hungry but can barely choke down the food bc I'm so sick of eating the same things and her still not better. This is nuts. These poor sensitive babies :(

if you eat meat, go buy some ians products to change it up (chicken nuggets / fries) they are top 8 free. 

Buy "so delicious" yogurt (milk/soy free) to give yourself some sugar and taste -they are ridiculously good. 

you need food in you..  BFing is not worth it if it's making you miserable. You BF'd her for 3 months -that's awesome..  if you can continue, great, but don't make yourself miserable. please.  i did that for way too long and in return my son almost scratched his eyes out from his constant reactions and i was too suborn to stop.

• Options
    After looking through this board I don't think I have the "normal" food allergies, but i just wanted to let you know that bananna and avocado are related to latex, all three cause an anaphylactic reaction for me. I'm sure pretty much everything can be an allergen, so I don't know if that helps at all... I really hope your LO feels better soon!
  • Options
    I decided to try formula but not sure if it will happen. She will not take a bottle. And one with formula, forget it! What else can I do?! :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"