High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Metaformin users

HI!

Just wondering how many of you are using Metaformin and how long into your pregnancy are you using it?

TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Metaformin users

• Options
    I only took it up to my first trimester. Ask your OB, some will tell you to stop, others may ask you to take it the entire pregnancy.
    Suzanne Rinner became a star 11.30.10 A setback is a setup for a comeback!
  • Options

I was a Metformin user, but as soon as I started TTC all my doctors (OB, RE, DE) wanted me off it. Ther is some concern with the fact that it can cross the placental wall, although the outcome of that has not been proven. I'm diabetic, and all wanted me to switch to insulin, which is what I take now. I know some doctors do prescribe Metformin throughout pregnancy though. My doctors are just totally against it. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was taken off of it after 13 weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I took it for 4 yrs for PCOS and when I reached 13 weeks my Dr's took me off of it.  I have gestational diabetes and my midwife told me that while Dr's used to always take pt's off of it after 1st tri, now some are choosing to leave pt's on it.  She told me that if I had been on it I probably would never have tested positive for gest diabetes of course since the med would have been controlling it.  I am diet controlled and hope to stay that way but if it does start to go up then they will be putting me on glyburide.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker PCOS 2006-2008 Clomid and Metformin all BFN cycles 2008-2009 3 IUI's all BFN Feb 2010 IVF hyperstimulated April 2010 FET#1 BFP with twins m/c at 8 weeks Sept 2010 FET#2 BFP with Brody and Harper born at 22 weeks from IC May 2011 FET#3 BFP with singleton, cerclage placed at 13.5 weeks Neelie Grace born 37.5weeks on Jan 4 2012
  • Options
    With DD, I took it through the 1st tri, but with this one, I'm staying on it through the entire pregnancy.  My last baby was over 9lbs., so they think I was borderline GD (even though I passed the 2 tests). I'm on 2000mg a day.
    PCOS, lupus anticoagulant, MTHFR (A1298C, one copy) 2 IUIs & 1 IVF = BFN FET#1 = It's a girl! Born 7.1.10 FET#2 = c/p FET#3 = Twin girls! Born on 3.16.12 at 33w2d due to severe pre-E. After 4 weeks in the NICU they are home! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm not currently using Metformin, but I have PCOS and took Metformin for that some time ago. I'm trying to get my endo to put me back on it! My dieticians have told me that the main reason we don't really prescribe Met in the US is because there haven't been many long term studies done here about the risk of using it through pregnancy. However, there have been many, many studies conducted in Australia and South Africa, where it is used regularly, and it seems like it might actually work better to regulate your numbers than insulin. I'm on glyburide now, and coming up to the max dose and still having trouble controlling my numbers and eating a sufficient amount of carbs, so I'm hoping my stubborn endo will change his mind. It's really frustrating to be testing high and then have my dietician tell me I'm not eating enough carbohydrate!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I took Metformin due to PCOS not Diabetes.  I took it until 14 weeks and then went off and took a 3 hour GTT at 16 weeks and everything was perfect.  Due to this baby measuring small and DD being on the smaller side when she was born I was advised by MFM to go off the medication as soon as I was out of my first trimester.  I will begin Metformin again after delivery to help with my milk production. 
    Married 05/27/07 ~ Emilee Lucille born 04/01/08 ~ Ella Marie 2/15/12 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think it differs if you're taking it for PCOS or diabetes. I'm diabetic, have been for years. I'm classified as type 1/class B. I wear an insulin pump but I'm extremely highly resistent to the insulin I do take so I take 2000mg of Metformin a day. I have been on Metformin for years. In my case, I will not come off of it any time soon, especially during pregnancy since the placenta produces hormones that are anti-insulin.

Me (33). DH (37). DD (2.2012). MCs x4. After 4 years & 7 months, due 4.2018!

• Options

imageMattel:
    I think it differs if you're taking it for PCOS or diabetes. I'm diabetic, have been for years. I'm classified as type 1/class B. I wear an insulin pump but I'm extremely highly resistent to the insulin I do take so I take 2000mg of Metformin a day. I have been on Metformin for years. In my case, I will not come off of it any time soon, especially during pregnancy since the placenta produces hormones that are anti-insulin.

I didn't know that about the placenta.  I hope it doesn't start causing me problems.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"