High-Risk Pregnancy

Introduction for scared, first timer

Hi! I'm in college for my last year, due to the baby, but I couldn't be more excited. I just went to my first appt, which due to my medical history, I'm high risk. I have a mitral valve prolapse, enlarged heart, and stenosis from a Transposition of the Great Vessels surgery I had when I was 1.5 days old. Therefore, I'm being sent to a different doctor and hospital. My first real appointment is on Wednesday.

This is my first time on the bump, being that this is my first pregnancy. My SO and I weren't TTC, but can't wait to be parents. To be honest, I'm very  nervous and do not know what to expect. Any words of encouragement, enlightenment and/or advice?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq

Re: Introduction for scared, first timer

• Congratulations on your pg!  My only advice really is to go to all your doctors appointments, ask lots of questions and err on the side of caution.  You never want to regret a time that you could have been more conservative and wondering "what if..." The appointments may seem like a PIA to schedule and commit to, but they could save your LO one day if you are high risk and have complications.  Other than that, relax and enjoy this amazing time! 

Good Luck!

LC

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Congratulations! I'm high risk due to type 1 diabetes and this is my first pregnancy, BUT your post reminded me of a very dear friend of mine. Now, I do not know her exact condition, but I do know that she had to have open heart surgery the day she was born and she has a beautiful and healthy four month old baby boy. The whole high--risk gig will mean a lot of visits to the Dr and a lot of monitoring, but try your best to relax as silly as that might sound. I've found that my high risk status means that I can't follow any of the check lists or timelines listed on most pregnancy sites or books, but I'm not really complaining. I am very fortunate to have an awesome team of doctors so I don't mind seeing them so often ( I went every single week to MFM for my first trimester and now that I'm into the second it's about every 2 weeks).  
  • Congrats on your pregnancy! I'm pregnant with my second child but my eldest is 15 years old so it feels like a new pregnancy all over again. Lol. Anyway, I don't really have any words of encouragement other than hang in there and make sure your doctor answers as many of your questions as possible. He/she and their staff are available to help you and ease your mind throughout your pregnancy because they definitely want you and your baby to be healthy. 

I'm lucky enough to have a very supportive and responsive doctor who never hesitates to answer my questions.  I email him at least once a month with new questions that pop into my mind and he patiently answers every one of them. Hopefully your doctor is just as accessible.  

Take care of yourself and good luck! :-)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"