June 2012 Moms
Options

NT scan covered by your insurance?

Hi ladies,

We have our NT scan on Wednesday. The u/s tech at our last u/s mentioned that some insurances dont cover the blood test portion of the screening and that we should call our insurance to make sure, because it would be thousands of dollars without it.

Well, the insurance company is giving us a hard time, saying we need some code, and we havent been able to get ahold of the doctors office to get it.

Did your insurance cover your blood testing portion of your NT scan? We have a good United coverage through DH's job, so Im thinking it should be covered, but I was just curious of others experiences. 

TIA! :) 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: NT scan covered by your insurance?

• Options
    My insurance covers it, but I did call to make sure. My doctor's office gave me the codes; if you call, they will be able to give them to you, and you can call your insurance to double check.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

My insurance company covered it.

It seems a little lazy of your doctor's office to tell you that you have to call and check benefits. My doctor's office takes care of all that. Odd...

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageallisonmarie22:

My insurance company covered it.

It seems a little lazy of your doctor's office to tell you that you have to call and check benefits. My doctor's office takes care of all that. Odd...

Yeah I know! For everything else they worked with the insurance company, but not for this... I thought it was a little strange too. Im sure it will be covered, but since the tech mentioned it specifically I dont want to be surprised with a thousand dollar bill owed afterwards! Maybe I should have talked to the receptionist, not just the tech, now that I think about it... dang! 

Anniversary
  • Options
    We have United & ours would not be covered since I'm under 35. But there are so many different plans that doesn't mean yours wouldn't.

image   image

• Options
    You're in luck, because I have the sheet my OB gave me right here! The CPT code is 76813 : nuchal lucency. The insurance company needs this so they make sure they are looking up the right test. Your OB should have given this to you. Unfortunately our insurance doesn't cover it, but the OB office does take bloodwork (optional) at 16w to check for markers. So we'll do that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have tricare from DH being in the Navy so they cover everything and do the paperwork.  Sorry I couldn't be more help Sad
  • Options

My insurance covers all of it. There are two separate insurance codes. One for the blood work and one for the ultrasound. 

The code posted above is the ultrasound test (76813). The lab tests accordingo my sheet is 84704 and 84163 

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I go today for my NT scan.  I am kinda nervous now after reading this.  My POS insurance is probably going to bill my butt!
  • Options
    Thank you for your help ladies! The codes you gave really helped me out.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Thousands of dollars sounds a bit crazy.  I don't have insurance and called a place today that said the ultrasound would be $175 and the labs $100.
  • Options
    Yes, but my insurance coverage is ridiculously good (they are cutting benefits in 2013, so that will change), but i am also AMA and expecting twins so you get a whole new category of tests covered. Hope you get your insurance straightened out!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"