Natural Birth
Options

Homebirth- want to know for sure???

So I am just starting my 14th week for my third pregnancy. My dream has always been to have a natural waterbirth at home but with my first I had pre-e  which ended in an induced labor and a forecept delivery and my second was just fine, labored at home till I was at 8cm but paniced when I walked into the hospital about how awful my first went in hopes this one would be different. So long story short I feel this is my last shot. I want to know if I am completly out of luck or if any of you have had a homebirth with any of the following conditions because these are NOT listed on most Midwives websites as concidered high risk or am I completley looking into something thats a complete waste of time. So first off I have WPW. A heart condition that causes an irregular heartbeat (its just there, nothing can correct it and hasn't cause problems with anyother one of my deliveries) Two I have Sjogrens, an auto immune disorder. My doctors aren't concerned about delivery with this either since my other births were fine and neither child had any complications. Three I am a carrier for group B strep.

I know most of you are reading this wondering why I am even asking I just want to hear advice or expieriences from others and any suggestions on the matter. I feel I better ask so I don't regret never asking in the first place.

Thanks

Re: Homebirth- want to know for sure???

• Options

The best thing to do is to meet with a homebirth midwife (or more than one), who can discuss your conditions in depth and give you advice on how they might affect homebirth. Even if they/you ultimately decide that homebirth isn't a good idea, it's not a waste of time to investigate it and understand it better!

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• Options

Well, I know some practices won't allow a homebirth if you test positive for Group B Strep, but for my midwives, I could still have a homebirth but would have to have an IV if I tested positive. I think if I had an IV I wouldn't have been able to do a waterbirth, but as it turned out, it wasn't an issue.

So, perhaps you can find a healthcare provider (eg a midwife) that would allow you to still deliver at home even with being a carrier for group b strep?

As for the other problems, but if your doctors weren't concerned about your heart, and you were able to deliver vaginally in the past, then I wouldn't worry overmuch about it, if you really want to try a homebirth, but that's just me (and goodness knows I'm no doctor!)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

the previous pre-e does not risk you out of home birth.  of course you will be screened for it during this pg, just like everyone else would be.  if you develop it again then you will not be able to have a home birth.  it is most common in first pregnancies and seeing that you did not develop it in your second pregnancy, you are most likely in the clear for this one. 

not sure about the WPW, what does that stand for?  i would assume that if it does not cause you any problems and you were able to birth ok before that you would be fine this time.  not sure how birthing at home would be any diff. 

i totally agree with flyer that suggested interviewing a few mw's and ask them specifically about your concerns.  doesn't really matter if we all think it's cool, if you can't find a mw that agrees it's a no-go. 

GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for your comments! I know the pre-e wouldn't determine a homebirth only if it showed up again. WPW stands for Wolff, Parkinsons, White syndrome. I will look into some in the area to interview with. They say a healthy woman is what qualifies you for a homebirth. I see myself as a healthy woman just with a few lifelong problems that don't cause everyday issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"