High-Risk Pregnancy

MTHFR and/or Factor V ladies

I'm hetero for both MTHFR and Factor V.  I just found out I'm expecting #2 and I can't remember how much extra folic acid to take.  What are you taking?  I'll be starting lovenox today, so I don't have to take BA any more.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: MTHFR and/or Factor V ladies

• Hmmm I have FVL and take Lovenox, but I don't know the answer to this.  I just take my prescription prenatal (NeevoDHA), but my ob and MFM haven't said anything about taking extra folic acid as a result of the FVL.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am homozygous for MTHFR and I take Neevo and also an additional 1 mg of folic acid.

HTH! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"You reach deeper until you can find the strength.  That's all life is, one big fight after another."

Angel babies: 9/19/07, 10/08/09, 1/05/11

• Loading the player...
  • I am hetero FVL and I take Prednisone for a neuromuscular condition...I take a PNV plus 4mg Folic acid...I do not take Lovenox until after delivery

Court
    DH 40  ME 40
    GD, Myasthenia Gravis, Factor V Leiden

DS #1 born via emergancy c-section 01/23/06 at 37w

DS#2 born via c-section 10/27/2007 at 36w due to PROM

DS #3 born via repeat c-section 04/13/2012 at 39w

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away." - George Carlin
  • I'm hetero MTHFR.  I was just told to take extra Folic Acid, I was never prescribed anything in particular.  I take an extra 1600mg a day (plus what's in my prenatal).
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Sara,

Congratulations on the pregnancy!  Because you are heterozygous for the MTHFR polymorphism, you have a limited ability to break down folic acid into its active form, L-methylfolate.  This puts you at risk for folate deficiency related pregnancy complications.  

I work with NeevoDHA, the prenatal that many of the women in this thread are on.  It is specifically indicated for women with MTHFR and contains L-methylfolate as an alternative to synthetic folic acid.  L-methylfolate bypasses the MTHFR mutation.  It increases blood folate levels and decreases homocysteine levels  more effectively than folic acid.  You might want to ask your doctor about it.  

Best of luck for a happy and healthy pregnancy!

Married to DH - 1996 DS - 13, DD - 11, DD - 9, DS - 4
  • That means you are homozygous which is the most severe form of the polymorphism.  You might want to ask your new hematologist about L-methylfolate.  You have a very limited ability to metabolize synthetic folic acid.  
  • I'm hetero for MTHFR and take Elite OB with DHA (like Neevo) and 1mg extra folic acid.
    PCOS, lupus anticoagulant, MTHFR (A1298C, one copy) 2 IUIs & 1 IVF = BFN FET#1 = It's a girl! Born 7.1.10 FET#2 = c/p FET#3 = Twin girls! Born on 3.16.12 at 33w2d due to severe pre-E. After 4 weeks in the NICU they are home! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I have FVL and still learning about this as I am pregnant with my first -can anyone tell me what MTHFR is?  Would they have already tested me for that in my regular bloodwork at the beginning?  They didn't tell me that I had that nor have a heard of it, so I was just wondering if FVL and MTHFR run together? Thanks ladies.
  • Kaybee,

How were you diagnosed with FVL?  The MTHFR test is usually done in a repeat pregnancy loss panel after women have had multiple miscarriages.  It is also done in thrombophilia panels.  They are two different things, although there are women who have both conditions.  

Women with MTHFR have a limited ability to break down synthetic folic acid into its active and usable form, L-methylfolate.  This puts them at risk for folate deficiency related pregnancy complications.  Increased blood homocysteine levels can also be associated with MTHFR which can cause clotting.  It is a common mutation affecting approximately 40% of the population but there are severe and less severe forms.  The most severe form, homozygous, is much less common.  

Best of luck with your pregnancy.  I hope it is happy and healthy.  A first baby is so very exciting! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"