C-sections
Options

10 days from C-Section - questions...help please

So my c-section is scheduled and will happen in 10 days.  I AM SO SCARED.  I have never had any type of surgery, no stiches, or no broken bones.  My nerves are starting to take over.  I am very excited to see my baby, but terrified of the recovery process.  I pass out every time I get my blood taken and have a very low tollerance for pain. 

• I have had several friends tell me to ask for morphine in the recovery room.  They say that this make the recovery so much easier, and you are able to enjoy your first day with the baby so much more.  But I am nervous b/c I have never had a drug this strong before and dont know how I will react.  I want to BF and my dr. said that it will have no effect on the milk and baby.  Has anyone else asked for morphine? 
  • I want to BF right after baby is born.  I am so nervous that I won't be able to.  Dr. said I have to ask to have the baby brought into the recovery room. Why dont they automatically give the baby to me?  How will I feel after?
  • Does my husband get to cut the cord?
  • Anything special you suggest I bring to hospital?  I have my bags packed with all the normal stuff, but if there is anything special you suggest please let me know.
BabyName Ticker

Re: 10 days from C-Section - questions...help please

• Options

Has anyone else asked for morphine? 

I didn't ask for it, but they gave it to me right away.  It was in suppository form and if I recall correctly, I took four doses every 12 hours.

I want to BF right after baby is born.  I am so nervous that I won't be able to.  Dr. said I have to ask to have the baby brought into the recovery room. Why dont they automatically give the baby to me?  How will I feel after?

I can't tell you how you'll feel...  But I had my baby in the recovery room with me.  DH was by my side too.  The hospital did us a huge favor by doing so and I was really grateful.  It's not at all common policy where I'm from. I didn't breastfeed there and I waited to be up in my room.  I had to wait to feel better (I was really groggy), but my daughter was on my chest the whole time I was in recovery.  It was just perfect.  As for why they don't automatically do it, they told me that it's because the recovery nurses don't necessarily have a formation in taking care of a newborn.

Does my husband get to cut the cord?  Mine did.

Anything special you suggest I bring to hospital? 

With the anesthesia and the meds they gave me, I had trouble remembering things.  I don't remember breastfeeding for the first time and things like that.  I would suggest you to make a list of all the things you wish to remember (I know, all of it, right!), but that way, someone can take a picture for you.

Good luck to you!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    • Has anyone else asked for morphine? 
    I did not have morphine.
    • I want to BF right after baby is born.  I am so nervous that I won't be able to.  Dr. said I have to ask to have the baby brought into the recovery room. Why dont they automatically give the baby to me?
    My arms were not tied down, but I was not able to move them while in the OR. DS never left my side(until we got to our room-he had trouble regulating his temp).  I was able to try BFing as soon as I was in recovery. DS had latching issues for two weeks, but that wasn't due to the c-section. I was awkward trying to hold him/feed him, due to all the monitors on me!
    •  How will I feel after?
    I have no idea. Everyone is different

He got to "recut" the cord after DS was being evaluated. ..
    • Anything special you suggest I bring to hospital? Nothing special.
    Good luck!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I was automatically given morphine. It might be common practice, id ask your ob. The doc cut the cord and after wiping the baby off gave her to DH who held her until we got to our recovery room. That is where I nursed for the first time.

With at c/s your milk sometimes takes longer to come in so they gave me a breast pump to get things going faster. I was also really hot in the hospital due to all the meds (i had never had any type of surgery either) so bring cooler clothes. GL!

PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I didn't ask for morphine. I just took whatever they gave me

PUT IT IN YOUR BIRTH PLAN THAT YOU DON'T WANT THE BABY TO LEAVE YOU. It's your baby, not the hospitals. I nursed Lucas within the hour. 

Everyone is different on how they feel. You'll be sore and in pain, but stay on top of your pain medication!

MH cut the cord. They cut it a little higher than normal and once they took Lucas to the warming thingy he got to cut it to the right length. Also PUT IN THE BIRTH PLAN THAT YOU WANT HIM TO CUT THE CORD!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options

I didn't ask for morphine so I can't comment on that. didn't know it was available to me! My C was unplanned, baby was breech. I didn't get to BF right away, it was probably about 30 minutes after I was stitched up and moved back to the other room. Honestly though I think this was because I was crazy nauseous though. Apparently there is something they can give you to control the nausea but I didn't get that magical drug. So I threw up all day. BUT I also have crazy bad reactions to drugs so that could have played a big role. My DH did cut the cord and then they brought the baby over to me while they were sewing me up. I didn't hold her since I wasn't able to really move much at that point but I was able to touch her and talk to her before they cleaned her off and weighed her.

I would suggest bringing pillows. Bring your bobby pillow if you have one. It really does help to have that cushion so the baby isn't right on your incision. I also had a wedge pillow that I used while pregnant that was hugely helpful because the pressure of my stomach when I layed on my side wasn't comfortable.

Also, try to get up and move that day. I was not able to because of being so nauseous and I truly do think it caused my recovery to be harder. I got nauseous so they gave me anti-nausea meds, which made me super groggy so honestly the whole day was a blur. Next time I know to ask for something ahead of time for prevention of nausea.

• Options
    imagemagdalina.h:

I didn't ask for morphine. I just took whatever they gave me

PUT IT IN YOUR BIRTH PLAN THAT YOU DON'T WANT THE BABY TO LEAVE YOU. It's your baby, not the hospitals. I nursed Lucas within the hour. 

Everyone is different on how they feel. You'll be sore and in pain, but stay on top of your pain medication!

MH cut the cord. They cut it a little higher than normal and once they took Lucas to the warming thingy he got to cut it to the right length. Also PUT IN THE BIRTH PLAN THAT YOU WANT HIM TO CUT THE CORD!

This.

We are having a scheduled c-section in about three weeks. We put all of this in our birth plan. I asked our hospital where the baby will go after my surgery. They told me she will stay with us, unless she needs to go to NICU. She can also go into the recovery room with us. I still put this in my birth plan and that I want to bf her.  I also put that I want my DH to cut the cord in our birth plan.

Jewels

** Our TTC Journey Blog **

** Our Pregnancy Blog ** 

TTC for over 3 years. After several infertility treatments, we received our first BFP!! :)

image' rel="nofollow">image
  • Options
    Thank you everyone!
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options

My hospital changes your epi into a pain pump (I can't remember with what) and it automatically gives you a dose every hour and you can do another dose every 30 minutes. They also give me tordal if the pain pump isn't totally helping. That's the first 24 hours. Once they take it out it's preocset(SP?) and px motrin.

At my hospital, there is a huge separate women's center that has its own OR and once the baby is born you get to see him/her. Then daddy goes with baby across teh hall to the recovery room. With DS1 I was in there within 30 minutes and with DS2 it took about an hour b/c of scar tissue it took longer to stitch me up.

Once getting into the recovery room I immediately was given the baby and the nurses pretty much make everyone do skin to skin with the baby. This really helps with bonding and once I stopped shaking some from the epi I tried BF. You really just need to talk to the nurses when you arrive at hte hospital for your c/s and find out exactly what they do. Force the issue that you want the baby as soon as possible.

Cutting the cord in the OR isn't allowed at my hopsital. Dh can take pictures but he has to stay in one place right next to my head. They try to minimize the germs since you are completely open. Can't help with stitches b/c I had dermabond with both of my c/s. Good luck!

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagefoobrown@hotmail.com:
    •  Has anyone else asked for morphine? 
    • No and honestly I was still loopy but I also labored for 30 hours and was exhausted

• I want to BF right after baby is born.  I am so nervous that I won't be able to.  Dr. said I have to ask to have the baby brought into the recovery room. Why dont they automatically give the baby to me?  How will I feel after?
    • My hospital asked beforehand if I planned to BF, they brought her to recovery with me so we could attempt to latch and have skin to skin

• I honestly cant remember

• Anything special you suggest I bring to hospital?  I have my bags packed with all the normal stuff, but if there is anything special you suggest please let me know.
    • make sure you have pants that wont aggrevate your incisiobn, you'll be over thay johnny fast
    • Oh and def walk around like they suggest, it does help
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Just a little personal and nursing advice.  While everyone has a different tolerance of pain mine was minimal after my c-section and I have a low tolerance. I ended up only taking tylenol.  From a nursing aspect don't take the morphine unless you feel you need it.  Some people that have never had a narcotic before especially in IV form will have a knock out effect from it.  It is still safe to BF with any of the meds they will offer but see how you feel first.  By all means if you need it take it but don't just ask for it bc someone told you to do that. 

• Options
    I am an OB nurse and can hopefully answer some of your questions.  You should be able to get morphine or something else for pain, ask for it when you need it.  Your baby will not be given to you immediately, it will be dried, wrapped, apgars assigned, assessed and then once you are in recovery room you will be handed baby.  Each hospital is different, we encourage daddy to hold baby right after the assessment and vitals are done, while we are still in the OR and he can usually hold baby right next to where you are, you can't hold because your arms will be strapped down.  You can breastfeed while taking pain meds, you take them for a short time that the amount transferred during breastfeeding is minimal.  Hubby won't be able to cut cord as it is a sterile field and the surgeon will cut the cord, you can ask your doc to leave cord a little long so he can cut the remainder of the cord off while they are checking out baby. I would recommend to get up within about 8 hours or so with help from staff, it is important to get moving to help the healing process, it will also decrease your pain the more you move.  I recommend bringing anything that makes you more comfortable, your own pillow, socks, laptop, magazines. I hope this helps a little, Good luck to you for a happy healthy baby and delivery.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"