February 2011 Moms

Cry it out...again...

Hi Ladies!

First off, let me say that i've been creepin the boards for a while now, and all your babies are adorable!!!!  

I'm sorta a newbie...I've been on the knot for years but I just never got into the bump...until now! I need some advice...

We completed a course of CIO, with success. Our DS took 3 or 4 full nights (and naps) of CIO to become a full time sleeper (8 or 9pm-7am) . Then slept like a champ for about 2 months, then all of a sudden around 8.5-9 months he just started being very wakeful.He would wake like 3-6 times a night. UGH.

I know that I didn't handle this right because I was so used to my sleep that I would just go pat his butt, and rock him and try to get him back down...but a few days turned into weeks, and now it's been about a month-month and a half and No full nights sleep. 

We thought there might be teeth coming in, but the pedi shot that idea down. So, she suggested the CIO--again. I've been trying, and I know that I havn't been sticking to it because i'm just so tired. It's hard as well because the DH is an Air Traffic Controller, and needs his sleep.

So, Last night was the first official night of what i'm dubbing "CIO: no mercy method". LOL. He cried for about 40-45 minutes ( DH went in every 15 mins, laid him back down, gave bink, walked out). So our night was this:

Bed time routine (Lotion + massage, jammies, bottle and oatmeal, and a book with a little rocking)...then we laid him in his crib at 7:55pm and walked out.

7:55-8:40 (LOUD cry...ugh)

12:40-1:16 (cry)

up at 6:20am for the day.

(I was surprised at how well this actually went...) 

So last night was kinda a success? I don't know. Tonight is the real test...It's DH's overnight shift, and It's just me and the screamin baby...

Any suggestions? Or any advice?...anything at all! I know that I can handle it, because we did it before, but I just need to hear some stories from other mommas who've gone through this as well. A little support goes a long way! 

Thanks ladies!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cry it out...again...

• Good luck! Tyler is going through the same thing. We walk in hand him a bottle (which he now holds himself) and walk out. Check on him in about 20min and he has usually put himself back to sleep. He usually wakes up once around 2:30. Maybe we arent doing the right thing by giving him a bottle when he used to sttn but its working now with little effort on our part so we're going with it.
    image     image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

image    image

• I've never done CIO so I can't comment on that aspect. DS was a great sleeper from almost the beginning. At 6 weeks old, he was sleeping 6 hours straight, and by 3 months he was fully sleeping through the night (8-6:00). All that being said, he started doing the SAME thing your LO is doing right now (and he still does it from time to time). Once he started crawling at 8 months, and he was still in the process of teething (4 top teeth at once), he has been waking anywhere from 1-4 times per night. He cries really loud until we go in and soothe him. I don't feed him a bottle or anything, I just go in, offer the pacifier, lay him back down (b/c most times he is sitting up or even standing), and turn his sleep sheep noise machine on. That always works, honestly. I haven't figured out how to get him to stop waking up at night, but I think it has to do with all of their new abilities (crawling, standing, etc) in a combination with possibly teething and also separation anxiety. So bottom line, I think it is a phase...but you are definitely not alone.
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• Loading the player...
  • i also have never done cio but we did have some sleep regression at about 9 months. honestly the time change is what started it and his schedule has been all out of whack since then!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"